Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best $200 you can spend monoprice stage right 15

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by pyronym, Feb 12, 2019.

1. pyronym

pyronym Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    Wow for $200 i am completely blown away this sounds great. I can get some great sounds out of this at bedroom levels and can be heard down the street if I use the full wattage setting(or without there not much of a difference loud either way) the tapers are nice and smooth on all pots no all or nothing. Completely usable reverb goes from 0 to short but splashy at 10.
    Only complaint is the front facing controls on the chrome they are hard to see and top mounted is so much nicer. Tubes are unlabeled but for only 200 i wouldn't be bothered springing for a new set but honestly these sound fine for now.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    How do you think this compares in tone / quality to a pro jr?

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Agreed about hard to read the knob labels. I made a black Sharpie mark on the bass knob, and the problem went away. You know from there it's bass-mid-treble-reverb, and on the left side is volume, master volume, and post-phase-inverter tone.

When the sharpie wore off I realized the bass control is the middle one of seven, and now I know where they all are without looking. :)

I felt the same way about the amp that you do when I first got mine, by the way.

pyronym likes this.
  4. pyronym

pyronym Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    I think it can get a decent bit nastier than the pro jr i had(grey tweed p10r ver 3) but i wouldnt say the pro jr was lacking. Its a little heavier, probably closer to bj in weight. It is dead quiet. My pj hissed until i moved the heater wires and swaped a couple of 12ax7s around i think i ended up with a 12at7 jan in v2 and that got it decent but not dead quiet. The bass is deep and solid on this it does not fart out. Over all its a much louder if you crank the vol and use the gain as your volume than the pj with single vol. The pj broke up a bit sooner i think with the master and gain this has a much larger sweetspot and they reduced power switch(while there's no way is less than one watt) it makes it super usable at home. They reverb is in between the bj3 and the bj4 which means it isn't way too much(3) or is the reverb even working(4).
    When you consider you can buy 2 of these for the price of a pro jr(and have 100 leftover) or 3 for the price of a bj i think its a no brainer. I havent ripped this one apart but from the gut shots ive seen(heres one from tdpri) it looks like they use full size pots, a heavier duty input jack and no ribbon cables.[​IMG]

5. pyronym

pyronym Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    How do you feel after the honeymoon?

6. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Ha, I just meant that I was also blown away. In fact those are the words I used. It has become a permanent part of my gear. It's the best amp I have for picking up and taking to play somewhere else. I originally bought it so I didn't have to lug my big old '70s Peavey 212 Classic around, and it fills that role well.

It's more than an excellent amp for the money... it's an excellent amp. A friend gigs with his, preferring it over his Egnator Tweaker 40.

pyronym likes this.
  7. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto
    I've had mine for a few months now, and i'm still really happy with it. I gig with it a lot. I was afraid it wouldn't have enough headroom, but i've played some pretty big rooms with it unmiced and it's fine. I usually run the master a little over halfway and the gain lower on about 4.

Triple Jim and pyronym like this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    And just think, couple years ago, folks could buy these new for $129 or something like that.

pyronym likes this.
  9. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    You can still get these under $150 every other month or so.

pyronym likes this.
  10. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Isn't this one said to be a Laney Cub clone?

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  11. pyronym

pyronym Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    apparently it's made in the same factory with the same parts it's just licensed to monoprice and the reverb is changed out to spring from digital.

Triple Jim likes this.
  12. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
  13. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I might have missed some of the deals, but the about the best I've seen in the last year was the deal I got, $160 delivered, with a 20% off sale and a free shipping deal at the same time. In the last few months I haven't see any quite that good.

It's funny how we search for a way to save a few bucks on a $199 amp when other companies charge $500 for similar amps. :)

Jeffl and pyronym like this.
  14. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto
    I got mine 40% off. even with shipping to Canada and the exchange, it was a great deal. I've been shlepping it around to gigs in a brutal Canadian winter, so far no problems.

pyronym likes this.
  15. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I've got this thread on 'watch' for someone posting when this amp is available for $150 shipped. :whistling:

pyronym and Triple Jim like this.
  16. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    It's funny... some pedals cost more.

pyronym, Bob the builder and johnnymg like this.
  17. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I have the 5 watt version. I know it’s different, but it’s pretty cool little amp. I think I paid 89.00 for it

pyronym likes this.
  18. pyronym

pyronym Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    Im considering picking up the 5 watt as well

19. Chuck Conner

Chuck Conner Strat-Talk Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Maryland
    I bought my Monoprice Stage Right 15 watt amp about a year ago. It's a great little amp but sounded a bit "boxy" to me, maybe because I'm used to the larger amps that I use on gigs. I changed the V1 12AX7 to a 12AY7 which gives me better control of the drive/gain and a matched pair of Groove Tube EL84's. I don't think the tube changes made a big difference in tone so the old tubes are good extras to keep on hand. The biggest/best thing I did was to replace the speaker with a Cannabis Rex. It's a very efficient, good sounding speaker. That little amp kicks butt now. I use it as my grab and go amp for jam sessions and band rehearsals even though drummers are present.

Maybe the following info might help someone in the future:

I did however have an intermittent problem a few months ago with the sound cutting off. I'm a retired electronics technician and a ham operator for over 50 years. My training started in the 1950's, so tube ckts. are no problem and printed boards is what I mostly saw through the years.

By probing around with an insulated tool, I found the problem to be a bad solder connection on the small PCB at the back of the chassis where the effects loop I/O is located. It's a double sided board and the poor connection was at a point where the top and bottom foils are inter-connected by a small pin through the board.

Sorry I can't see the lettering on the PCB in the picture to describe better .... Looking at the OP's posted picture of the chassis, one poorly soldered place was at the pins on the 2 pin plug connecting a shielded cable, located strait up from the jack (2nd from left, FX send/line out). As a precaution, I also soldered a few other points in that same area where the factory soldering looked a little skimpy.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 9:54 PM
  20. pyronym

pyronym Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    I pulled that pic from tdpri. Ive compared it to pics of the cub12r chassis and it looks like the same boards. The cub still has the 2 inputs like the older monoprice so if you look for the 12r schematic youll probably have a better idea of what you fixed

Chuck Conner likes this.