Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best amp for modern clapton-ish(1995-2017) tone?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by strat_attack13, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:47 PM.

1. strat_attack13

strat_attack13 Strat-Talk Member

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    If you've seen any of my other threads, you might be able to guess clapton is more or less my guitar idol lol. My current rig is a homemade clapton strat, to a zoom g3xn on a wah-rack compressor-chorus patch, to a jet city jca50(gain channel is slo voiced:D), which I modeled after his 80's heavy blues sound. I love this rig, but being a 50 watt amp, it's just barely too loud for home use, and it's not really portable. I've been looking around for a smaller amp to use as a practice amp at home or church or something, and keep the slo inspired rig for gigging. I decided I would get something tweed-ish for newer era clapton. I still don't know a lot about tube amps, but I know it has to be 6l6 and 12ax7 based. My budget is about $500 or less. I've looked at:

1. Supersonic 60 head with a small 110 cab
    2. Ramparte
    3. Electroharmonix/sovtek mig 50(1959 bassman)
    4. Blues deluxe
    5. Albion TCT35
    6. Egnater tweaker/rebel
    (I know the Supersonic and Mig 50 are as, if not louder than my amp, but they're in the right price range and sound I'm gunning for so maybe an attentuator?)

I know that clapton usually uses high power 80w twins, so something twin/bassman-ish would be best, so long as it's home use friendly, and somewhat portable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

craigh likes this.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I can tell you that the Blues deluxe is a great sounding amp, but it's LOUD.

Stratoskater and nuculer terrist like this.

3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    You need tweed, but the budget makes it tough. If you can let go of the idea that you need 40-50 watts... try a Pro Junior.

Stratoskater and Henfield Strat like this.

4. strat_attack13

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    I never said I NEEDED a 40 or 50 watter, that's just the majority of what I see in my price range for tweed amps. I have the ramparte on there, that's a 9w amp. Isn't a pro/blues Jr an el84 amp though? Thanks!

craigh likes this.

5. strat_attack13

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    That's good and bad at the same time :confused: thanks for the reply!

craigh likes this.

6. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    It is, but the tubes are less important than the sound. A Pro Jr specifically can get into the tweed/brownface tone zone without blowing the walls down (though it'll get plenty loud if needed). There aren't many 6L6 amps below 30w or so, and if you need to turn it up to get your sound, that's a lot for a worship-type gig.

Really, for a Claptonesque practice amp, a tweed Champ is almost certainly the right thing, but you'll probably have to spend $700 or more to get a used reissue.

Stratoskater likes this.

7. strat_attack13

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    Ok thanks I guess ill try it out. And 30ish watts would probably be ok because my basement is pretty open. My 50 watter is only barely too loud. Thanks!

8. strat_attack13

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    What about 6v6 instead of 6l6? Are they the same thing more or less sound wise just less power? The supersonic 22 is much smaller than the 60 but will it sound more or less the same despite the 6v6's? I read somewhere that 6v6s are lower power versions of 6l6s but I really don't know enough to say that for sure. Thanks!

9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I'd be cautious with a Tweaker on an attenuator.

10. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    a VHT 12/20 will run both 6V6 and 6L6. and to me they do sound different. I have this amp and its pretty easy to control your breakup with the volume knob on the guitar.

11. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    If you are willing to build a kit, there are a number of good companies that make high quality Champ or tweed Deluxe clones around that range. I think a Champ kit from The Tube Depot is about $500, I believe.

12. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    OK, not in your price range, but:
    upload_2017-11-15_11-14-30.png

irie likes this.

13. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Hows that been working for you?

14. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Back in January I had a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue jump in the car abd follow me home. And that has pretty much become my main amp. I f'd up the Watts control 12/20 by lifting the ground experimenting with wet/dry stuff. That took a few months to find the right guy to fix it. So now it does weekly duty in the barn when the other guitar player shows. Still sounds good. VHT are good amps.

15. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Strat-Talker

Jan 13, 2012
    Detroit, MI
    I'd go with Mojotone if you want to build a kit. A Tweed Champ will get you most of his studio tones but you'll have to mic it to play anything substantial. A Tweed Deluxe would suit your endeavor well.

dante1963 likes this.

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Aside from the problem, can you say why you like the fender more?

17. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I think they are different amps. I play mostly older blues and blues based r&r. I like lower output pickups, my Dot and ES339 have PAF style pickups. Two summers ago I had a 1979 Pro Reverb show up. 70 watts, two 12 inch speakers and clean all the way to Tallahassee. But not quite what the voices in my head wanted. I was in a local shop and the DRRI was sitting there. Went home and got my strat. That combination was what the voices in my head have been seeking. The 12/20 is easier to drive into breakup at lower volumes. The DRRI has a very nice reverb and I love the tremolo. I now mostly play straight to the amp and dial in some trem to give it a "vintage" sound.

So not sure if that answers the question. If we were closer you'd be welcome to come over and audition it.

And the DRRI will be in the trunk Friday heading to Spartanburg for the second time.

amstratnut likes this.

18. fender_freak

fender_freak Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    I actually think a lot of his tone comes from the mid boost. I think anything vintage Fender inspired will get you in the ball park. Are you thinking more about his live or studio tones?

19. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    From late 70s to early mid 80s Clappers was using Blackie through Musicman amps a lot of the time. Probably my favourite Stat tone. After this he uses his signature Strat with mid boost and various amp, Soldano being one make until his tweed period which seems to be the preferred type of amp, right up to today. I would say any blackface type amp with a low OD pedal would give the versatility and range of tones to cover all bases. Or get a signature Strat and tweed amp.

For what it's worth I have an old Musicman, a partscaster and Blackstar OD set really low and I think it nails the tone for late 70s Clapton for very few bucks.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i dont think its the amp that matters.....i think its the color of the guitar.
    for instance, if you want to sound like hendrix, get a white one, and if you want to sound like clapton, get a black one.