Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Best amp for modern clapton-ish(1995-2017) tone?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by strat_attack13, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Blues Deluxe is nice but loud

2. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Strat-O-Master

Dec 18, 2008
    south jersey
    There are ways to get around the Blues Deluxe loudness. I picked up a 95 BD in the spring. I tore the whole thing apart. 4 coats of shellac on the tweed, 12at7 in v3, 5751 in v1 to get that volume under control and an alnico Jensen makes this thing really sing that is even great at bedroom levels.

Paul Strat likes this.
  3. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    OD Glove into Blues Deluxe w/Eminence George Allesandro.:cool:

4. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Digitech Crossroads pedal?

5. Roncg41677

Roncg41677 Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
  6. strat_attack13

strat_attack13 Strat-Talk Member

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    Well kind of a bit of both. My favorite studio tone besides the journeyman album is on pilgrim and some songs on from the cradle. from what I understand he was using a 5e8a based low power tweed twin for these, along with a rotary speaker occasionally. With the clean channel on my JCA, I can get close, but it's too loud, and not fender-y enough. It definitely helps having the midboost and tbx kit on my strat, and the lace gold's are great for that sound too.

Thanks!!

7. strat_attack13

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    I used one of these in a guitarcenter before I got my jca, and I loved it, but at a grand or so it was just way too much:(

8. strat_attack13

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    That's OBVIOUSLY why I got a black body for my partscaster:thumb:

9. strat_attack13

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    I was recently looking into Ceriatone recently. They specialize in amp clones(particularly dumble's), and make a 5e8-a low power twin head for 1k on the dot. I think for the clapton tweed sound, it doesn't get much better, as they have great reviews and can be made as a kit, or missing parts here and there for much cheaper. The next amp I'll be getting will now be a little while off as I got a yamaha thr10 for practice. It's surprisingly loud and sounds pretty good. (google Phillip Sayce playing one if you don't believe me...;)) The ceriatone twin also has a 20 watt mode that would definitely help with smaller gigs and home use. Any thoughts on them?

Thanks!

10. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    You could mod the clean channel of your Jet City but you wrote it is too big to schlepp around that stuff.
    Maybe you can look for a 18W-20W small Dumble SSS clone which will deliver the tone you are looking for.
    I think Ceriatone has something like that but I didn´t checked (SSS clone with 2xEL84s).

All the best,
    Robin

11. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Strat-Talk Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    I did something very similar to my Blues Deluxe. NOS 5751 in v1, NOS 12ax7 in v2, and NOS 12ax7 in v3. Also changed to a Weber 12A150 Alnico speaker. Pretty much nails the Cream at Royal Albert Hall tone from 2005. The Blues Deluxe does have the master volume on the drive channel.

12. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Given that it takes ten times the wattage/power to double the volume, I don't think there's a huge difference in volume between 30 and 50 watt amps, all else being equal.

Paul Strat likes this.
  13. the dark sailor

Dec 18, 2008
    south jersey
    That sounds pretty sweet I bet! I like them Weber speakers. I just picked up a 12A125a 30 watt 16ohm for my AC15 last week for 50 bucks on the local Craigslist. Couldn't pass on it. Sounds very nice.

Paul Strat likes this.
  14. Paul Strat

Mar 3, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    That was a great deal!

15. Paul Strat

Mar 3, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    I mistyped that post. I put a NOS 12at7 in V3.

16. the dark sailor

Dec 18, 2008
    south jersey
    Yeah, me too. 12at7 in V3.

17. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    So what blackface tones thrrougg solidstate amps....

Um get a MusicMan for sure....they sound great.