Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best amp to complement your strat.

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by diverse379, Mar 1, 2011.

1. diverse379

diverse379 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 8, 2011
    georgia
    ok I will make sure line 6 doesent enter this vote.

My vote is any amp will make any guitar sound good but this couldnt be true.
    because otherwise people wouldnt spend so much money on certain coveted amps
    and there wouldnt be reissues and modelling technology..

what amp do you wish you never sold
    or that you wish you could afford
    or locate.

what amps do you feel are the quintessential strat complement

2. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I think a decent tube amp 30 watts or under is ideal. 6L6 and 6V6 power tubes will give the classic Fender tone (for the most part), but I love my Classic 30 running kinda clean with my TS808 in front for a little dirt as needed.

3. borismcorpheus

borismcorpheus Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2010
    Ithaca, NY
    Amp I wish I had: Mesa Boogie Lonestar. From what I've seen and heard, it is ridiculously versatile and definitely more on the "vintage" end of the spectrum of things Mesa/Boogie makes.

Amp to compliment strat: Anything by Vox. AC4, AC15, AC30... Take your pick.

4. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2011
    mission viejo, ca
    yes 6l6's 6v6 amps sound really good even some el-34 amps give a nice tone but I favor the old class a el-84 configuration, for cheap you cant beat the crate v-30 or v32 palomino also the crate v-50 el-34 amps really give that even better than fender amp clean tones, I always hated crate amps until I tried the y series (USA MADE and discontinued) but they sound soooooooooo good for the money. I Use a palomino v32 now for all my live stuff and it sounds great and has been nothing but reliable and the tone is as good as some amps I have that cost 4 times as much.

5. Krab

Krab ----------------------

Oct 31, 2010
    I have a Jet City 20w tube combo. It is great has head room and drive. I do miss my bassman though. For just messing around i have a champ 600.

6. ckim715

ckim715 Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland
    My '67 Bassman. HUUGE sound.

7. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Strat-Talk Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    5e3 style amp with 6v6's

8. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    ampeg. preferably reverberocket, but gemini will do as well.
    redplate would be my other choice.

9. diverse379

Feb 8, 2011
    georgia
    ANYTHING by vox?

vox has modelling amp what about that?
    hmmmm its like a line 6 wannabe.

(sorry I couldnt resist) seriously though you guys are naming some real creature features.

(Saturdayafternoon horror movies in the late 60's and early 70's)

I am stunned that there is this much love out there for certain amps.

I read it in guitar mags all the time but it is different to see and hear people you know well I dont know any of you but it sure seems like you guys are like all the guys at the cool table.
    and I just joined the school and dont really have a place yet.
    but to start trouble.
    and get beat up after school.

(okay that was not me in high school)

and really?

you only need 30 watts on a tube amp?

10. Frusciante

Frusciante Strat-Talker

Oct 31, 2009
    NY
    Carr Rambler

Doesn't get much better imho

11. clintnz

clintnz Strat-Talk Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Auckland, NZ
    My bogner duende sounds pretty good, anything tube imo :)

12. Rotheryrules

Rotheryrules Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2011
    Uk
    I have a mid nineties Fender performer 60 watt combo. Was given it by a friend and was very sceptical as it's a hybrid. Solid state clean channel and valve distortion. This thing is loud, but put a strat through it and it sings, would never part with it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

13. me_alex

me_alex Strat-Talker

Nov 2, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Super Reverb or a Bassman.

14. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    My Marshall Class 5.

15. diverse379

Feb 8, 2011
    georgia
    finally a Marshall.

I thought all rockers liked Marshalls. and I have heard their clean tones I would definitely like one of these for just the crystal clear clean tones alone.

16. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

Jan 7, 2011
    Devon, UK
    I had a great 1980s non channel switching, non master volume 50 watt Marshall JCM800 head and cab - you have never heard a Strat sound as fat as mine did through that amp!

However, my Vibrolux sounds just awesome with my Fenders.

17. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    I have really been enjoying my Fender tweed Blues Deville.Mine in particular sounds really fat and warm...I can turn up the treble and presence knobs high and there is no harshness.It really gives the typical sonic stereotype of what we associate an overdriven tweed Fender amp tone to be...that fat,fuzzy overdrive with plenty of mids that sounds somewhere between classic early Fender and early Marshall tone.All my guitars sound awesome through it but Strats are my main guitar and I love how they sound through this amp...very brown and somewhat nasty.With a Blues deville,I can still get a Fender S.R.V. vibe happening with a Strat but dirtier and more primitive(imagine S.R.V. meets Hound Dog Taylor).I plug straight in with no pedals.For louder gigs I can turn up the volume on the normal channel about half way and get that natural breakup.For lower volume bar gigs,I use the drive channel which for my tastes sounds really cool...primitive,fuzzy,bluesy overdrive.I set the overdrive on 12 and vary my picking attack and volume knob settings to vary tonal dynamics.For Blues and classic rock,I think this is one of the best amps on the market.Sure you can pay more for boutique amps,but I find the Blues Deville to be a really soulful amp with a lot of charisma.Obviously Fender designed it with a Strat in mindThe classic Strat/overdriven Bassman combination was no doubt the major inspiration behind it's design.

18. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Marietta Georgia
    Original question requires a bit of interpretation. In the post there are actually several questions, but we'll take up the last.

'what amps do you feel are the quintessential strat complement'

Quintessential: Adjective, representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class. By this we can infer 'classic', or 'archetypal'. Good, we're off.

By definition it's not going to be anything new. In my view there are two, the Vox AC 15/30 and Fender Blackface series (Bassman and/or Twin Reverb). These are the classics.

Boogies with Strats are awesome though. Love my 5:50, haven't used or wanted a drive pedal since I got that guy.

B.

19. michaell

michaell Senior Stratmaster

Feb 6, 2011
    on the bus
    My amp choice varies with venue.
    My main amp now is an Egnater Rebel 30th. I use Celetion Golds. Usually the 2-10 cab. This works in small and medium rooms.

20. Bro Blue

Bro Blue Strat-Talker

Dec 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I like low wattage amps with EL84 and 6V6 power sections.