Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best cost efficient under $1,000 bedroom tube amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Green Sub, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Many have master volumes, so you can get nice distortion at any level. The Monoprice 15 does.

Green Sub likes this.

2. Green Sub

Green Sub Strat-Talk Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you!

skypeace likes this.

3. Green Sub

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Nothing particular at the moment. Just whatever is easy, but I do listen to classic rock while driving.

skypeace and Paperback Rocker like this.

4. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

for those sweet sweet bedroom tones, and keeping you under a grand.

look used

look for the following

Mesa Studio 22

Mesa DC3

the DC 3 will have a heavier drive, where the studio 22 will have that pure classic drive. the cleans on both amps are solid as a rock and super fat if you want them to be, and the reverb on both will splash with the best of them

they are also built extremely well and I love them both

ZlurkCorzDog and Textele like this.

5. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Those both are very good choices.

With a little dial spinning, you should be able to get any tone you could possible want out of either.

Bedroom or stage use, you'd be covered.

There are other great options out there but Mesa's extreme high quality and durability is unquestioned.

And if you go used, you could snag almost anything if you are patient.

Good luck on the hunt.

carver and Green Sub like this.

6. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Man, $1000 is a LOT of amp these days. As I dont know what music you play, I have to give references on "do it all" amps.

Tweaker amps. Great for those that like to tweak amps and they work well when driven, but also get a great clean

Oranges Tiny Terror/dark terror Not the GREATEST cleans, but GREAT for roar. they are small and fit anywhere...they can also push a 4x12 cab.

Mesa Boogie almost anything- for versatility, a Mesa is hard to beat. unfortunate, they are BIG. They are USUALLY heads and the heads are ususally about $800 and up so if you dont have a cab, its over budget.

Blackstar HT-club 40- a nice all around amp. I have yet to see one NOT do well.

Fender Bassbreaker- This amp LITERALLY does everything. It is a very different Fender amp than what they NORAMLLY make. But I have used it for playing SRV to Amon Amath (Norwegian black metal)
    They could use a better speaker, but that would be in budget for most models.

here is a Mesa boogie mark 3 combo JUST under budget. https://www.ebay.com/p/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-III-Guitar-Amp/97500845 there is NOTHING this amp CANT do. Unless you want that Fender clean.
    It has a GREAT clean, but it is not a Fender.

that is about as much I can think off the top of my head.
    Godspeed!

ZlurkCorzDog, DickBanks and Green Sub like this.

7. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    For under $500, especially used, you could have your pick of many excellent amps that would suffice for home and still be perfectly usable for if you want to jam with a band later on. Fender Blues Jr, Vox AC15, Peavey classic 30, and Boss Katana are four that come to mind right away. For $1,000 you are talking gigging amps.

Willie D, ZlurkCorzDog and Green Sub like this.

8. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

Feb 23, 2015
    Texas
    Check out the Cornell Plexi 7 w/ 12 inch Vintage 30. Occasionally you can find a used one on Reverb.com for around $850. Be patient on finding a used one as less than 10 a year are produced. These amps are hand-built in the UK using the best components, and it has a built-in attenuator allowing power adjustment from 1/8th of a watt to 7 watts. I would recommend you hold out for the 12" combo version vs. the 10" combo. It was also made in a head version.

Green Sub likes this.

9. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    You're at a starting point. Want to "level skip"? You could go years (or decades) trying this and that and going for the latest & greatest & shiniest NAMM gear that all the "experts" agree on. It could take 2 decades to realize that effects pedals are the GNC Nutrition of the music world (lots of very bold claims with no real scientific backing).

These are a little more than $1k (usually about $1100 to $1300) but are widely regarded. Just my 2 cents.

http://swartamps.com/amplifiers_st-atom.htm

Green Sub likes this.

10. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    Green Sub likes this.

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

If you want a bedroom amp, have 1k, and like the AC30 tones I would suggest you look at buying a Line 6 Helix LT. You won't regret the purchase, as you get some great tones, and you can run it through a powered speaker, or through headphones. Plus, you get the added bonus of it being pro-quality audio with lots of versatility.

Green Sub likes this.

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

May I join the faction of “1000$ bedroom amp is total overkill”?
    - As a general thing, “tone” in the bedroom can be good, decent… and it’s all that matters. You won’t get those epic cranked tube amp tone at home (it’s very difficult even in a band situation), you won’t get the exact same tone that Gilmour got with a 100W Dual Showman cranked up… physics prevent it.
    - To get good/decent tones in the bedroom, a hybrid amp like the Super Champ X2 (2-300$ used) does it perfectly. If you have to have a tube amp, 5W is already a lot and unless you have a house that’s isolated from neighbours you can forget about cranking them. (NB: Champs are beautiful little amps, and you can get clones for way below 1k)

So all in all I’d say: if for now it’s only bedroom, get a SCX2 and save your money for lessons, for dinners out, or for buying a bigger amp when you’ll make the decision to go and play in a band with friends.

THIS is something I suggest you do asap. You don’t have to be handsome, you don’t have to be rich, you don’t have to be a very proficient player, you don’t have to do it full time. Even just playing rhythm guitar (Squier into lowly SS amp) in a cover band made up by average musicians is IMHO a much more enriching experience than playing several thousand $ worth of gear alone in the bedroom. If ever you decide to try, youll find its easier than you may think.

JustABluesGuy, skypeace and Green Sub like this.

13. Green Sub

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, I've been looking at the AC4 too!

14. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I totally agree on "spend the money on lessons" approach. Best guitar money you'll ever spend. :thumb:

Oh, and get an inexpensive Monoprice or Bugera valve amp to tickle that desire. They do sound good at low volume.

skypeace and Green Sub like this.

15. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    I love my Marshall DSL 20CR. It sounds great.

Green Sub and johnnymg like this.

16. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-Talker

May 2, 2017
    Olathe, KS
    See you slipped that Katana in there. Disqualified under OP terms (tube), but definitely worth consideration...

17. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Here's my spare bedroom setup. Blackstar Club 40. The new one on the left is the MKll version. It switches down to 4 watts. Those run a hair over 700. I love these amps

20180823_183355.jpg

In the living theres this. Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester 36. Goes from 36 to 18 to 5 to 1 to mute. It's in a stereo setup as well with another Blackstar, a 20 watt combo. So I run HK at 18 watts. This was a bit over 700 as well

20180825_151325.jpg 20180825_204646.jpg

18. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2016
    ontario canada
    just find a used 1984 super champ... happy forever...these amps are weapons fender-super-champ-rivera-amp-1982.jpg

Green Sub likes this.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    Played one of these recently next to a H&K, Vox, Bassbreaker, BFDR, Katana, and some others. It was impressive, not a toy.

And this is what I did, when I decided to jump back in after 30 years of no gear.I had a lot to learn, and a lot of catching up. I bought a couple, then sold or traded to buy more, and so on. Well worth the cost of tuition, to enjoy these and other amps. Excellent advice.

Green Sub likes this.

20. KC

KC Strat-Talk Member

May 3, 2006
    Missoula, Montana
    swart is killer if you really need to spend the money. marshall origin 20c for half the price (find a coupon!) will scratch a lot of itches. orange rocker verb. AC10 or 15. etc. Keep your eyes peeled -- my C15c1 was under $450, new/b-stock. great amp.

Green Sub likes this.