Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best cost efficient under $1,000 bedroom tube amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Green Sub, Sep 10, 2018.

1. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    Heck, Checking Craigslist and Reverb.com, for under a grand you can get great condition 120 watt Peavey 6505+ with a 1/2 stack of speakers.

Just because you have the ability to make peoples ears bleed, doesn't mean you need to. The volume controls work nicely and it still sounds killer at 0.5 volume. Plus, anyone who enters the bedroom will look at all of those speakers and be a little intimidated. :D

ZlurkCorzDog and Green Sub like this.

2. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    This is what I say.

The Master volumes helps tame the amp....get an Overdrive and a DS pedal....this is all youll need.

Test it out at the guitar store. I bought mine new before the price increase 649.99 to 679.99 but still at a good deal for 595.95 plus a free cable, new out the door at Guitar Center.

If you want the best deals check out Chicago Music Exchange or even Sweetwater.

Green Sub likes this.

3. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Also OP. If your in the states heres AC15 at a good value new.

This is your standard AC15 but in White Bronco and an upgraded Celestion Creamback. A higher rated Greenback.

The speakers are made in UK and are considered to be nicer than the Standard Greenback.

Good price, great value and if you call them and have cash they will qoute you a discount.

https://www.adorama.com/voac15c1wb....L1cjS7MXK34qMbvJIz86q6eVyFlFNEY4aArkuEALw_wcB

Green Sub likes this.

4. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog A Real Nowhere Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 20, 2012
    Not On Cloud 9
    And if he had some bass thumping neighbors he could set it on the balcony or patio & return the favor.

Bob the builder and Green Sub like this.

5. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    $1000 for a bedroom amp? Go to the store and try all the amps. Which ever one sounds good...buy it!

JustABluesGuy, skypeace and Green Sub like this.

6. Fender Phil

Fender Phil Strat-Talker

I have owned most of the amps mentioned in this thread.
    Ownership and using them teaches you a lot over 50 years.
    Spending time in the stores is not as useful for me. It gives me a clue, but not the full answer.

I used to be a die hard Fender tube amp guy, and appreciate what they have to offer.

However, in the last 10 years or so, my need to downsize and get the most versatile, best optioned, lightest weight for quality in a smaller footprint of an amp, has taken me back to Mesa. In my case, a barely used Mesa Express 5 25 plus combo, is almost like owning a dozen amps in a slightly heavy grab and go size. I put a well broken in, Jensen 12 100 Neo speaker in it, to get it in the less than 40 lb. range, in a small versatile footprint.

It blows away Class V, Bugera, Vibro Champ, etc., etc., in the 5 watts and down category. It will do Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, etc., match what most Mesa amps can do, and then some. Clean, crunch, blues, and burn in class A 5 watt, class A 15 watt, class AB Dynawatt in measily 25 watt mode that will punch like a Mesa F-100, weighing 60 pounds less.

Buy used, close to new. It has a 5 year transferable warranty, that you most likely will never need.

Green Sub and carolinaeasy like this.

7. Green Sub

Green Sub Strat-Talk Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    StratSounds, RadioFM74 and The-Kid like this.

8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I agree that the Super Champ would be a good choice among many other good choices.

RadioFM74, Green Sub and The-Kid like this.

9. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Super Champs are great. I know its modeling but I think the Fender XD uses all analog stuff for the "modelling" and not digital for the preamp. The effects are digital though.

Super Champ XDs sound pretty good IME and in the price range, good quality sound.

Green Sub and Paperback Rocker like this.

10. ole lefty

ole lefty Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2018
    north carolina
    vox AC15 has my vote... love mine ,, at all volumes

terry m

The-Kid, Green Sub and carolinaeasy like this.

11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

I suggested it so you know already that I think it’s a very good choice. I have owned one for several years and let it go only when I had to buy a bigger amp to go playing out. Here is how I see the pros and cons.

Pros:
    - It sounds very good at all volumes between “whisper" and "too loud for home”. Warm and tube-like. Even though not 100% like the originals (that’s an impossibility, factoring in e.g. speaker and cab size as relevant variables), I loved the models of: Tweed Champ, Tweed Deluxe, Princeton, BF Deluxe (cranked), BF Twin and Vox AC … something (can’t remember);
    - It’s fairly intuitive… on a SCX2 you only really need Fuse if you want to tweak the Mids and if you want to do some deep editing on the effects.
    - Most of the effects are good … the reverbs sound very good.
    - The USB out makes it easy to record and offers you a way for silent practice through headphone (via a laptop).
    - Takes pedals well (as to why you might want an OD in front of it, see below)
    - Small footprint and portable should you go to play with friends.

Cons:
    - Footswitching options are limited. You can’t switch between “complete presets” (amp model + settings + FX) as you would in a Mustang, and you can’t even switch on/off the on-board overdrives. To have a footswitchable OD, you actually have to use an OD pedal in front of it.
    - Does not have direct headphone capacities, nor does it have an “AUX” in. Under these respects, a Mustang is a more practical “home amp”. But as said, with the USB out, you can get around the problem by hooking your SCX2 to a computer.
    - You can take it to rehearsals, but unless you mike it it will struggle (and not sound its best) to keep up with a drummer playing rock. That’s what convinced me to eventually buy a bigger amp.
    - The USB port is FRAGILE!! Be very careful how you plug in and out…

You may consider buying the head and a 112 cab. Some say the amp sounds better with a 12’’ speaker, plus if you go play with friends you can hook it to a bigger cab and have a bit more volume.

You also may consider buying one used for a lot less. Do check the USB port if you do.

Best!

F

PS: I’m sure you saw this?

Green Sub and skypeace like this.

12. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    I suggest getting a used VHT Special 6 for around $200. Great sounding, simple to mod and has a hand wired eyelet board.

Green Sub likes this.

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

I love mine as well.

The-Kid and Green Sub like this.

14. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

May 6, 2011
    Baltimore
    I'm in a similar boat and have been through a number of small tube amps. PicoValve, Fender Ramparte, Blackstar HT-5C, Crate Palomino V8.

Right now I'm playing a Monoprice 5 watt (the new kind that says "Stage Right" and has front-facing controls). It won't rattle the walls but at low volume it sounds sweet. It really encourages me to quit goofing around and listen to how I sound and try to improve. Check the monoprice site periodically for coupons. You should be able to get it shipped for less than $100. The stock tubes are fine but I put in a Sovtek long plate 12AX7 and got some improvement.

Some people hook these amps up to bigger cabinets. I don't really do that much. If I want to rock out I use a distortion or fuzz pedal with one of my solid state Fender amps. But for woodshedding I like the Monoprice with its vibrant sound and little 8" speaker.

If you must spend $1000, try out a Princeton Reverb or '68 Vibrolux reverb. Those would be my vote. A lot of people like the Deluxe Reverb but I think the Princeton sounds sweeter.

Another idea: Vox Night Train. I tried one at the store when they were beginning to close them out. Kind of regret not buying one. It had very nice tube distortion at low volumes.

or maybe a Mesa. keep an open mind. $1000 buys a lot of great amps.

Green Sub likes this.

15. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I’ve owned every amp in this thread.

Bassbreaker.

Wayne and Green Sub like this.

16. Green Sub

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta, GA

17. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Just as a point of information, that amp is not all-tube, it's a hybrid that has a solid state preamp and a tube power amp. I mention this because your thread title says you're looking for a tube amp, not because I have anything against the Super Champ X2.

The advertising says it has a 12AX7 preamp tube, but that's really the driver and phase splitter in the power section of the amp.

Green Sub likes this.

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

Entirely correct. There is also a common misconception that channel 1 is “all tube” while channel 2 has a digital preamp. Not so: both channels go through the DSP. Still sounds very good if you ask me :p

Coming from a person who produced some of the best guitar tones I’ve ever heard in a YT video, this is giving me pause. In your shoes, I’d probably go and try both.

TSims1 and Green Sub like this.

20. Green Sub

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Order placed directly with fender.com for the Bassbreaker 15 Combo

Thank you so much TSims1 and all others that helped me with this purchase

TSims1 likes this.