Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best "Quack" - Position 2 or 4?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bigsnaketex, Apr 3, 2014.

1. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Strat-Talker

Mar 12, 2013
    South Mississippi
    Which position do you prefer when you're looking for that funkified quack sound out of your Strat - position 2 or 4??

I generally prefer 4 but sometimes 2 does it for me as well. . . it seems there would be a clear favorite but danged if I have one!

What about you. . .

2. DaveQ

DaveQ Strat-Talker

Dec 13, 2013
    Florida
    I like 'em both, but lately I prefer position 2.

3. davidKOS

davidKOS Musical Hermit Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    For me, 2, if that is the bridge+middle setting.

4, the neck+middle setting was useless to me, I rewired my guitar to have neck+bridge rather than neck+middle.

4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    If I want a little 'tink' in my tone, Pos II

If I want a little 'ooo' in my tone, Pos IV

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm never clear what people mean by 2 or 4. Or 1 or 5 for that matter - which end do you count from?

But to answer the question, I nearly always try both & see which one sounds best with whatever amp setting I am using. Both have their good points.

6. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    Bridge alone is Pos 1...as far as I know

7. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm fairly sure the count goes from the bridge pickup at ONE to the neck pickup at FIVE....:D

8. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    Convention is the same as strings. 1 is farthest from the player, so bridge only.

TO answer the question, 2, but I have an HSS, so YMMV

9. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

I like 'em both.

10. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2009
    Connecticut
    Lately, just the middle by itself....

11. premgem

premgem Senior Stratmaster

Jun 5, 2011
    San Antonio
    I get much more quack from 2 than 4.
    I never use 4.
    I'm sure how your pups are adjusted makes a difference, but I prefer the brighter quack of the mid/bridge combo.

12. Sacdubro

Sacdubro Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2012
    Carmichael, Ca
  13. NEStrataholic

NEStrataholic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Often that's the result of the tone knobs in the circuit. In position 2 only one tone knob is in the circuit, but in position 4, both tone knobs are in the circuit. This has the impact of dulling the sound.

(Fender standard switch and tone knob setup/wiring, I'm assuming.)

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yes :D

Seriously though, the very first thing I do when hunting an SRV tone is put it on 4. Depending on what I'm playing I'll use 2 or 4, sometimes neck only, but the bridge always sounds just a bit harsh to me by itself.

15. FASTLANE

FASTLANE Senior Stratmaster

Jun 11, 2012
    barnhart mo.
    same here. heres my Quack. It comes in after the versehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qWAG7TUXs

16. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I like them both equally. Just depends if I want a brighter quack or darker quack.

17. ckim715

ckim715 Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland
    I really only use neck, neck/middle, and bridge.

18. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

Position 4.

But I have HSS, and I rewired it with an extra switch to get me 8 kinds of quack! I take either the middle pickup, or one coil from the bridge, and put that in parallel with another single, or a single blended in series with a third coil. Sounds more complicated than it is.

But I reach a few general conclusions with all of that.

Like the bridge humbucker and middle in parallel is a good genuinely stratty quack sound, just a tad deeper than cutting the bridge to a single, and I think I might like the full Hb with M slightly better.

Getting the load of the tone pots off helps quack, no-load pots are good, and if you have a traditional strat with two tone active in position 4, its a tone sucker and there is a whole world of quack awaiting you as yet un-heard.

I get a few other good ones too, like bridge coils in parallel, which is a good thicker bridge single sound, and neck and a bridge coil in series, all in parallel with middle is a nice slightly fuller version of the usual position 4

19. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Depends, position 2 is more ducky, while 4 is a little deeper, bordering on the honk somewhere between the Canada goose and the Hawaiian Nene.

20. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Strat-O-Master

Jun 17, 2012
    DeLand, FL
    2 is quack. 4 is sex.