Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best strap locks??

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by TSims1, Aug 23, 2009.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Hey - I wanna grab a set of straplocks for my new Strat, and was curious as to what everyone thinks the best are? I'm interested in what is the best value[price]and what are the smallest in size[I hate how straplocks tend to be so large sometimes]? Any opinions/info would be helpful.......

2. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

I use the Schaller strap locks. Very positive lock and even if the locking mechanism breaks gravity holds your guitar in place. You may have to (probably should) widen the hole on your strap to properly accommodate the part that attaches to the strap.

3. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

Tried a lot of makes...and I adopted Schaller. Both my Strats have Schaller and they never fell off to work. I would now never play a guitar without them.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kurdt

kurdt Banned

i use schaller

6. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

7. maddog444

maddog444 Former Member

I prefer Dunlop....

8. Rokit5

Rokit5 Strat-Talker

iv never bought a single pair of straplocks.........i make my own.....they even work better the some iv tried......i just us a washer...under the screw and i puy o the strap...and it wont coem offf....works for me...

9. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

Dunlop, to stir the mix ... IMHO

10. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

11. TSims1

Awesome, thanks for the input!

12. StratSvante

StratSvante Strat-Talker

dunlop plastics or the washers, I'm cheep.

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I use only the Dunlops but they are large, no doubt about it.

Maybe your should use the Grolsch bottle washers instead of a commercial product.

The cold reason I don't simply do that? Easy. I have one Gazillion guitars and I use just 3 straps for all of them. The Grolsch deal assumes a dedicated strap for each and every guitar. Another thing. Straps kept with/on the guitar will eventually melt into the finish or discolor the finish, some way or another. I've suffered that fate; no more. I keep the strap and the guitar apart when not in use.

14. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

Is this just with Nitro finishes or with Poly as well?

15. hedegaardo1

hedegaardo1 Strat-Talk Member

Straplocks like schaller and suchs is BAD for the guitar... When you mount them to the guitar you change the gravity and the guitar will be damaged and you have to redo the hole ect ect... therefore:
    +1 for
    DUNLOP STRAPLOK ERGO LOK - Dansk International Cyberstore

They keep your guitar intact and leave the gravity where it should be

16. TexBiker

TexBiker Strat-O-Master

I replaced the standard strap pins on my Strats with Schallers. No need to redo any holes...they just screwed into the existing holes with the same size hardware. The difference in weight is less than half an ounce. Hell, the difference in weight between my MIA and MIM strats vary more than that by themselves. No damage from installing the locks and the "gravity" is the same...except when I play on the moon, of course.

If you happen to be referring to the "center of gravity", no human will notice the difference unless you have it mounted on a balance fixture in a laboratory. Seriously, do you really think you could pick up two different guitars and tell which one has strap locks if you didn't look first? I think not...

17. Sleepy

Sleepy Strat-O-Master

yup dunlop plastic ones are the best[​IMG]

18. platypibri

platypibri Senior Stratmaster

I use the Dunlop Dual Design Strap Locks. That way if I have an emergency (like I forget my strap), I can run to a store and grab cheap strap and use that for the night.

Like Boris, I have only a couple straps I like, and many guitars (and basses) I use them with, so everything gets Dunlops when I buy it.

19. TSims1

Well, that does it. I've decided on the Dunlop Straplok Ergo Locks. They are cheap, don't alter the guitar or appearance, light, and CHEAP!! I've had Schaller's in the past, and they are great, dependable locks but the size and look have always bothered me. I'm excited to see how these Dunlop's work out.....

20. Sleepy

Sleepy Strat-O-Master

Ive tried every strap lock they ever made and the plastic ones are hands down the best.... good choice

21. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Great responses, I'm going to try more options, the standard Dunlops arrived on my 'used' Tele, not sure about 'metal' Dunlops, yet. The Grolsch red rubber gaskets are a used by lots of guitar players!

[​IMG]