Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best Tone at a Reasonable Price with Today's Technology...

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by skypeace, Jun 15, 2017.

1. skypeace

skypeace Sky Pilot Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 10, 2017
    Connecticut
    Any ideas as to what pickups will provide the best possible tones with today's technology for a decent price maybe $75 to $250? I am not striving for a '59 or '64 or any other vintage sound, but the best of the tones that can be created today with the technology that we have today?

A sound that is presently clear, vibrant, distinct, yet warm and bluesy. I would like to stay within a single coil format, but do not rule out stacked coils or single coil sized humblers. Any thoughts folks, or does 2017 not have its own distinct sound?

2. scott223

scott223 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 16, 2013
    Fishman Fluence.

3. randypttt

randypttt Senior Stratmaster

Jul 3, 2010
    Ohio
    Go listen to Sonny Wolf with his 54 Strat ri or 57 Tele ri.
    If that's not warm and blusey enough....

Seems like a lot of the present tech is trying regain what we lost in the original designs.
    But don't take my word for it

Rastus and skypeace like this.

4. skypeace

Mar 10, 2017
    Connecticut
    Thanks, that's direction I am talking about. I think they come in a single coil version also.

5. skypeace

Mar 10, 2017
    Connecticut

BUT, this is really in the ball park of what I am looking for...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Tube ToneChaser likes this.

6. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Best tone is relative and imho depends more on the ear than the technology, I would rather spend my money on chocolate and time to tweak what you already have.

Yves, QMTstrat, jimbojo and 2 others like this.

7. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    +1

Endless chase.

Best tone = best player.

After that I'd change amps if you're wanting to change/improve tone.

Then guitar (Strat, LP, Hollowbody).

Pickups are a high cost/low impact change.

8. skypeace

Mar 10, 2017
    Connecticut
    You both offer some sound advice(pun unintended) and some sage wisdom with which I will take seriously to heart. Thank you.

amagras and QMTstrat like this.

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well there's a flaw in the query... "today's technology" suggests that there is technology available that would improve the tone of Buchanan's Nancy, Clapton's Blackie, Harrisons, Rocky, SRV's #1 ... issat insane or what...

The guitar is done.. guys get it . the guitar is done...

there may be technology that will foment further evolution, but such beasties will be as much a "guitar" as the Casio Midi, contraption of a few decades ago... looks like a guitar, feels like a guitar, but don't step in it, it's, still caca...

I rather doubt Stradivarius would consider the electric midi Violins of today anything but a faint semblance of his creations... THE GUITAR IS DONE.. in fact it was by the mid 50's ..

There will be no new wood, no new paint or lack thereof, no new cap, pots, etc... no new fret wire... nothing... the guitar is done.. if you want superior tone, there is only one way, become a superior musician... that's it...

The guitar is among the few relics of a long forgotten era... that were both object d'art and the tool with which you created art... it is an object that carries with it through time an air of intrigue.. like "fine" art, while the subject mater may have evolved, the methodology is exactly the same...

A musician in Henry's Court did exactly the same thing we do today,.. sit down pray they don't make any horrendous mistakes, and loose his head, :eek: eyeball the "girls".. then forget about 'em, lest he loose his head... :eek::eek: and "dig's in"...

While a few applications of technology "stuck" i. e. the pickup... tremolo.. etc... the guitar is still basically the same through all these years... an icon from times gone by, that still invokes the same emotions today that it was originally intended to do..

rk

10. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    Should a guitar's tone improve with technology? Should technology improve the tone of a piano? A saxophone? A xylophone? In any case, you have to first identify what deficiencies exist, if any, otherwise it's like you're asking how to make a circle more round.

11. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    absolutely superb...

rk

skypeace likes this.

12. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up Yonder Way
    And @skypeace is thinking, "Sheesh, guys, I was just sorta think'n out loud about getting some new pups."

:)

If you had yet to meet @Ronkirn, albeit via cyberspace; I'll offer that he's a Master Luthier and speaks with great wisdom--while also speaking a little more directly than a lotta folks are used to--not unlike the discomfort of finding a crawdad up your pant leg--immediately and conversely followed by gratitude, as you realize you've just been given a gift--because you're hungry:)

Ron kinda reminds me of Wilford Brimley:

upload_2017-6-15_8-31-52.jpeg

When I become BIG NEWS, I'm gonna commission Ron to build a guitar for me. Check out some of his creations here:

http://www.ronkirn.com/

Of course, the greatest voice on "tone" (and there's only one, beyond Ron), was this guy, below.

*Quiz: who his he? Hint: "333"

:)

upload_2017-6-15_8-36-7.jpeg

Tube ToneChaser and skypeace like this.

13. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Fishman Fluence pickups sound incredible - but I thought they were over $300? Friend just had a set installed, and they blew me away.

I also like Lollar pickups - though they might be over your $250 price range.

Tube ToneChaser and skypeace like this.

14. skypeace

Mar 10, 2017
    Connecticut
    Yep, DAVID! Thanks and I have had the opportunity in my lurking to run up on some of Ron's post and comments and found him astute and enlightening. I appreciate what you have taken the time to express, goodonya!

15. skypeace

Mar 10, 2017
    Connecticut
    The single coils actually go for around $225 but the kicker is you have to buy the additional $100 battery power unit.

My aspirations for new pups has been dampened as I realize I have four new sets in the last month and I haven't really explored what I have. I need to slow down the GAS and be grateful for what I have. Contentment is true wealth.

QMTstrat and Dont_Fret_None like this.

16. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up Yonder Way
    Hmmmm. Seems a guy named "Paul" quipped something about that "...contentment..." thing, a long time ago (?). Seems he was tinkering around in "Tarsus" at one stage (?).

Then again, maybe it was Frank Zappa who quipped such? I don't rightly recall...

17. randypttt

randypttt Senior Stratmaster

Jul 3, 2010
    Ohio
    Honestly skypeace, from that video they sounded like Texas Special pups; wide, a bit dark, not a lot pf twang or high end.
    My 2 cts

18. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    I appreciate that.. I met Wilford once many years ago... a little younger, but that no nonsense aura was still present... I admired that quality... it was also present in Buffalo Bill, John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Gianni Versace, Bill Blass, Werner Von Braun, Chris Craft, and on and on... ( met a lotta "guys" while working behind the cameras... )

I grew up in a time when being positive meant meeting the problem head on... identify it, in no uncertain terms, and removing it unceremoniously.. how didn't matter, ya just wanted it in the rubbish heap... and do so with no ambiguity (read Political correctness)...

today it appears being positive has devolved into glossing over the real issues with nebulosity in the dialogue... never actually addressing what the problem is, and how to extricate it from whatever it's infecting... the closest anyone ever gets to actually removing the problem is to form a committee and throw $$ at the thing.. Ya won't find me here... :D

rk < really not all that grumpy.. just focused . . :p

amstratnut, Yves and DIYrocker like this.

19. skypeace

Mar 10, 2017
    Connecticut
    @Ronkirn Thanks for that philosophical tidbit, it was not wasted upon me, and is well appreciated. You have got to be alright, you have quoted Thomas Sowell in your sig. A quote I refer to often myself.

@Antigua Thanks, that was profound.

20. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    This is wisdom right here. Now we could open this can up further by including amps and pedals, in my mind these drive our tone as much if not more than the pups. The only thing I would add is if you want a modern version of the single coil then you might try the Fender Samarium Cobalt, very nice "modern" pups in my book and noiseless.

skypeace likes this.