Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

best tuners for strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dearlpitts, Apr 24, 2011.

1. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Strat-O-Master

Feb 28, 2011
    CA
    so thought i get you guys pick for best tuners for a hss hwy1 strat-thinking about the-stew mac ones that lock and cut string-but love to here all the ones you guys think are best-cause i believe u all have alot of experience-thanx

2. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

Jan 14, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Fender/Schaller lockers

3. LoveOrConfusion

LoveOrConfusion Senior Stratmaster

Dec 5, 2010
    MD/VA/CA
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RWood

RWood Strat-O-Master

Apr 4, 2011
    Cullman, Al.
    What they both said. (My 2 favorites)

6. LiveOak

LiveOak Senior Stratmaster

Apr 4, 2010
    Katy, TX
    +1 I put those on my 2002 American Series a couple of months ago and love them! String changes are a breeze now and I like the slightly heavier headstock.

7. stratphobic

Jan 14, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    I also love klusons and almost every guitar I have has vintage style tuners, but it'd be a lot easier to drop in a set of schaller tuners than it would be to install a set of conversion bushings and drill holes for klusons

8. BHighkin

BHighkin Senior Stratmaster

Aug 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    I've got sperzels. great tuners.

9. SurpriseAStrat

SurpriseAStrat Strat-Talk Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Newmarket, Ontario
    I think the standard ones are find. There are plenty of other things I could think of to put money into.

10. dearlpitts

Feb 28, 2011
    CA
    -actually i wanted to stay with the stock ones but they really dont keep in tune very well-my squier bullet stays in tune better than this hwy1.-but besides that i/m really loving this guitar-i used to have a 76 mij strat-that i thought was great-but still went back to les pauls-not any more -i feel like i never want to stop playing this guitar it just awsome.

11. stratphobic

Jan 14, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Your strings might be binding in the nut

12. Moopha

Moopha Strat-O-Master

Jan 29, 2011
    Northern Caucasus
    Fender / Schaller Locking tuners is my choice

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I recommend the vintage style Gotoh split shafts.

I agree that your issue is also gonna be the nut detailing. When the nut is right, there's nothing like these Gotohs. I have the Schallers (2) and the Sperzels (3) and of the 2 I prefer the Sperzels but they're both overkill and the Schallers weigh a ton ( 9.5 ounces a set!! )

The only down side I can visualize is, if the maple of the headstock has aged, when you pull the stock tuners and affix the Gotohs, the small ferrules will leave a ring of lighter maple. Goes away in maybe 6 months. Then you may be asking; is this 2d string tree really necessary? ;)

14. The Envoy

The Envoy Strat-O-Master

Oct 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Schallers. Can't beat them.

15. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles
  16. dearlpitts

Feb 28, 2011
    CA
    so pencil shavings in the nut slots?

17. michaell

michaell Senior Stratmaster

Feb 6, 2011
    on the bus
    I prefer Sperzel locking tuners. I may be wrong but I believe he invented the locking tuner. Makes changing string a f-a-s-t procedure....especially if you break one on a gig!

18. stratphobic

Jan 14, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    might help. if it's really bad you might need to have the nut reslotted. what gauge of strings are you using?

19. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey
    My HWY1 had an attack of the Sperzels. They are not a straight bolt on, mind you.
    Can't complain about them, they do what it says on the tin.
    And, for those who need to know, I fitted them because my eyesight has got so toot, I coudn't seen the damn hole on the tuner to string up the top 'e'.
    Not because I'm a s*it' hot plank spanker.

20. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-Talker

May 14, 2008
    Texas
    I've put Planet Waves Auto-Trim locking machine heads on 3 of my Strats (so obviously, I like 'em). The main selling point for me was the precision 1:18 gear ratio; I was skeptical about the auto trim feature, but it comes in handy for fast string changes and trims the sharp string end flush (so no stabbing string ends).

21. RastaOssie

RastaOssie Strat-Talk Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Worcestershire
    Put locking tuners on everything coz i'm lazy and it makes string changing real easy. I've changed out Fender/Schallers for Sperzels because the action just feels better and the backs don't come off.