Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best Unbalanced Cable

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by italianstallion, Aug 12, 2017.

1. italianstallion

italianstallion Strat-Talk Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Canada
    Hey there,

I've been looking at making some patch cables for my new pedalboard and maybe some cables going to my amp and guitar.

I noticed Redco sells unbalanced cable but I can't decide which brand or which type (thickness) to get for my applications.

Any advice, brand recommendations, or other website recommendations would be welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Nate D likes this.

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Do you still have Radio Shack where you live?
    If so, you can buy guitar cable the foot/metre and angle jacks and solder your own patch cables.
    If money is no object buy George L's, which are easy to assemble, no soldering required. If you look carefully at Eric Johnson's rig, you will see lots of cables that look suspiciously like George L's. He is quite the tone snob...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    liltimmy and Nate D like this.

3. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I use mogami cables and they've been worth the $$$

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    liltimmy likes this.

4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I have had good results with Mogami, George L's and Evidence Audio.

The solderless wires all work with a regular solder connector plug also, the plugs cost more than the wire, you can save a fortune and get a better cable if you solder regular good ends on.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Exactly my advice. Mogami cable, Neutrik or Switchcraft jacks, a night of soldering, and Bob's your uncle.

6. henderman

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Electric guitar players should get good with a soldering iron, you can make high quality exactly what you need cables for the price of mid grade not exactly what you need cables whether you have an Uncle Bob or not.

liltimmy likes this.

7. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

George L's are excellent cables, I hate those damned angled plugs though. Not reliable IME. Gimme the straights with the set screw. I currently enjoy the Mogami gold stuff. Great cables, no tone suck. All the guys are saying the same thing because we are right!

Nate D likes this.

8. italianstallion

Jan 17, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks for all the help fellas! Yeah I've been making wiring mods for years on my strats, so I'm pretty good with the ole iron. It is almost like knowing how to change a tire when owning a car, you should know how to do it, but a lot of folks out there don't.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I do like angled plugs for certain applications, such as pedals and plugging into the belt clip housing the brain of the Electrocoustimatic.

Nate D likes this.

10. liltimmy

Like angled cables myself, use one all the time. Just the George L's tended to come unscrewed on me over time. I did not have good luck with their 90 degree plugs that have the screw-in back.

Nate D likes this.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Maybe some loctite would solve that problem?

liltimmy likes this.

12. liltimmy

Or straight George L's ends with the set screw....

Loctite probably would've helped, but you can't just screw 'em all the way in and get them to work. They have to be just right. I have a few cables that have worked for a long time. I have many more that need to be messed with to get back in order. I gave up on pedals so I haven't bothered since then. I have pedals, a pedal board, and short cables just sitting around collecting dust.

Nate D likes this.

13. italianstallion

Jan 17, 2016
    Canada
    Any recommendations when it comes to pancake plugs??

I've been looking at those Redco ones.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

14. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I also like the angled plugs on my -335's and Les Paul.

liltimmy likes this.

15. italianstallion

Jan 17, 2016
    Canada
    Do you have any input on Digiflex cable? My boss has a bunch of extra laying around his shop

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

16. henderman

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I have never heard of that brand, sorry.

17. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I use their wire with Neutrik or switchcraft plugs. get some tech flex, some heatshrink and some 60/40 and some resin and you have a far superior cable.

henderman and Nate D like this.

18. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I'm not that handy :)

But I did find the Mogami cables to be a significant upgrade from the monster cables I'd been using and the really crappy cables I'd been using before that. It took me a long time to come to realize that a good guitar with great cables into a great amp makes all the difference.

19. liltimmy

For name brand cables Monster are the absolute worst I have ever tried. Massive tone suck, goodbye highs. Nor did mine last very long. I've posted this before but I even had Monster RCA cables. Thick, beefy, gold contacts. They didn't even work, outperformed by cheap radio shack RCA's, facepalm....

Nate D likes this.

20. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Exactly... they sucked tone so badly. It felt like I was playing my guitar through a swimming pool. Give me the cheap stuff over a monster cable.

liltimmy likes this.