Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best value aftermarket pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by SlopeSoarer, Dec 5, 2017.

1. SlopeSoarer

SlopeSoarer New Member!

Nov 22, 2017
    Lancashire
    I'm considering replacing the pickups in an Squier Affinity Strat but don't want spend more too much (not that I've decide on a limit). I'm in to indie, soft rock, blues. What do you recommend? And roughly how much (£)?

Should I change pots as well, if yes what would you recommend?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    Wilde pickups.
    best aftermarket for the value.

3. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

4. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Lots of love for Rose pickups on this forum lately. I dont need a new set for my partscaster yet but those are #1 on my list.

Yaralag, dogletnoir and stratomatt like this.

5. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    Fender CS '69. I got my set for $115, new, shipped, on Ebay. Cheaper that a set of Wildes. I play in a blues band. They sound perfect.

Yaralag and Nate D like this.

6. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Yaralag likes this.

7. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 5, 2009
    texas
    Admin Post
    Only Rose pickups for me anymore.
    Yeah, they're that good.

8. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    GFS sells decent stuff for not much.

I would not replace my pickups with a supposed upgrade unless I was unhappy with what I had, and knew how to fix it. IE: hotter pups for earlier breakup and more mids or cooler pickups for a cleaner brighter sound. In a nutshell, those are the two choices.

There are a ton of choices for pickups but 90% of the time people obssess over which "vintage" spec alnico pickup to buy. Yes, they all sound a little different but not enough to warrant going down the rabbit hole.

I only say this cause I went down the rabbit hole. I have to say my amp has a lot more to say about how my guitar sounds than the pickups.

9. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Yaralag likes this.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I really love the sound of the strat size blade pickups. I have one from some nameless Asian manufacturer that makes me smile every time. Want more, I think.

Yaralag likes this.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Hunt around the UK suppliers, see what they have to offer, postage is usually free. ;) It's probably going to cost more than the guitar did. Toneriders are pretty good sounding and value for money.

Yaralag likes this.

12. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR

13. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    The cheapest pickups are usually ones you buy used. There are lots of Duncan pickups for sale, used, on eBay. You can often get SSL-1s & APS-1s for around £30 individually. I've even found sets of these that sell for around £60-£70. That's the best value I've ever found.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    I'd agree with that, having gone down the rabbit hole on so many things over the years, I'm trying to apply this single truth to avoid future rabbit hole diversions, save lots of $$, loose less hair and sleep, etc. You learn a lot with rabbit hole excursions, but in the end, you end up back where you started, now armed with tons of useless trivial knowledge. So, instead of swapping pickups, I just bought another [used] guitar for the price of a set of pickups, that had the opposite sound. The two pretty much cover the two extremes you describe.

Yaralag, fattboyzz and amstratnut like this.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I used to swap pickups but now I leave them and swap pots and caps. They influence the tone you get even when dimed.

-watch 'joe walsh gibsonuk setup' videos #5 and #6 and translate into your Strat
    -drop the middle pickup closer to the pickguard than the other two so you enhance 2 & 4 Quack
    -measure volume pot then find one higher measured kohms for brighter, lower for darker
    -tone caps to 0.033uF and 50v or 100v, doesn't have to be orange -- I like light blue

Don't be afraid of ceramic magnets, I have good and bad Alnico just as I have good and bad ceramic. Some import pickups you buy for $10 a set sound better than popular aftermarket big brands because they may use hand winding techniques not high speed machines.

If you are just looking to experiment with pickups, you might just buy a loaded pickguard ($25 for pickguard, pickups, and controls all pre-wired) and swap everything while keeping your original intact, because if you are searching you will one day wonder what the original tones were and if you have the stock pickguard intact you can swap back and go "yeah, I guess it did sound pretty good."

16. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    They must've been on sale. Typically custom shop sets run $200.

Yaralag likes this.

17. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I have had good results with GFS pickups.

amstratnut and Yaralag like this.

18. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I bought a set of Toneriders for my Tele build $80 from Macdaddy. Waiting on my neck to arrive, can't wait to try 'em out.

Yaralag likes this.

19. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    I have used Ironstone pickups and have found them to be decent quality at a very good price.

Yaralag likes this.