Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Best value aftermarket pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by SlopeSoarer, Dec 5, 2017.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I loved the Alnico IIs from GFS on one guitar. They really highlighted your articulation well. Shouldn't have sold it.

amstratnut and Yaralag like this.

2. Eddie H

Eddie H Strat-Talk Member

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY
    craigh and Yaralag like this.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    the cs9's list for 199

the wilde microcoils list for 108

the cs9's are noisy around bad lighting...

the microcoils almost sound humbucking

but whatever works, works.

4. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Wilde pickups. If they were 300$ a set they would still be the best. Bill Lawrence designs are still light years ahead of other pickup winders.

Yaralag likes this.

5. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    From a technical standpoint, the only manner in which a smaller coil can be quieter is with respect to electrostatic noise, where the noise is capacitive, because the coil has less overall surface area so it doesn't couple with the noise source as well. But when it comes to humbucking, or blocking electromagnetic noise, it's literally impossible for a single coil to both be quieter and otherwise achieve the same level of output, because string movement and EMI are the same animal. You can't get rid of one and keep the other. The exception to the rule would be if a pickup has a stronger magnetic field, it can achieve a better signal to noise ratio, but if you take it to far you get "stratitus", so there is a limit there as well, and it's usually met with AlNiCo 5 pole pieces.

6. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talk Member

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Waiting on a set of rubustas myself. Can't wait until they show up!

Yaralag likes this.

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Strat-O-Master

May 17, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Rose Pickups - cannot say enough about this company. Hand-wound USA pickups for slightly more than the "Artec" (China) type pickups, and WAY cheaper than other "boutique" pickup makers.

Seriously, I have never seen anyone post anything but 100% positive results w Rose pickups. Ken will even custom wind a set for you if you contact him prior to your order.

I have 4 guitars w/ Rose pickups :)

Yaralag likes this.

8. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Strat-O-Master

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Axesrus are my one stop shop. Hand wound in the U.K. to order, custom jobs? No problem for less than dimarzio.

Yaralag likes this.

9. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I have this in my MIM Strat:

https://www.riograndepickups.com/muy-macho-set

Stelly/Muy Grande/Muy Grande says it cost $290, It came with the guitar I bought used from Guitar Center for $325

I haven't really played any other strats, it sounds good to me.. Are these good pickups? As good as the Rose one's you speak of... Are these as good as MIA Strat pickups?

Yaralag likes this.

10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    I recently installed a set of Tone Emporium's pickups in my HSS strat. I'm very well pleased with them! Nice balance, great sound.

Just received a set of Tele pickups from them yesterday. I'm a happy customer.

https://www.toneemporium.com/

11. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2014
    Where the wind blows cold
    Rooooooose Roooooobustas!!!! :D

Believer7713 likes this.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    heh, i don't know about ANY of that!

but, i do trust my ears.

13. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    You may laugh at this but the best aftermarket pickups are the ones people pull out of their guitars when they think they're not good enough.

Plentiful, inexpensive and usually very good.

StillAlive&Well likes this.

14. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    Check your local craigslist. That's where I got my pickups for a steal, and I'm constantly seeing other great deals on there.

15. axeman83

axeman83 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    I'll second the tonerider pickups i got classic blues from north west guitars and have to say they are great. I also did a little research before buying and tonerider definitely had good reputation.

Thrup'ny Bit and xland like this.

16. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    In this case street and list are vastly different:
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=122831117898

I have nothing against Wildes. They are on my short list of pickups for future Strat builds. I have Bill Lawrence designed pickups in my #1 bass, a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string. Best 5 string bass pickups ever, IMO.

17. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    @StillAlive&Well

I don't think you will be disappointed.It's not just a good tone they are very responsive to the fingers and feel.There's just some thing about them that makes playing even nicer :)

Going from clean to Overdrive is a Joy,

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    StillAlive&Well and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

18. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have a Robusta/Buff Beauty set in my guitar Strat...LLLLLLOOOOOOVVVVEE them.

Yaralag likes this.

19. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    I would have liked to try the,"Rose" pickups but the OP is in the UK like myself and by the time the postage and Customs are applied the cost rockets up :(

20. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    You might check out Alexander pribora then. He sells on eBay and his stuff is top notch too. As I did in add earlier post I have two sets in two of my strats. The blues classic set and the hot customs. The hot customs are really not much different than the Robusta/Buff Beauty set. Plus his shipping is normally free... and fast.

Hal Nico likes this.