Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

BIG peavey delta blues problem..

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by bigjilm, Oct 25, 2011.

1. bigjilm

bigjilm Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2011
    georgia
    alright guys. Bought a delta blues 1x15 and was super excited.. I've wanted one for awhile... Got home and noticed that one of the power tubes was arcing pretty bad.. I went to change them.. Pulled the problem tube and it had loose plates and the pins were all bent out of whack.. Pulled the next one and one of the pin receivers from the socket comes out with the tube...

The pins on the tube were straight so I guess the f'n thing was just garbage

I have minor electrical experience but I know what not to touch and what not to do.. How big of a pain is it going to be to replace the socket on this beast? How much would a tech charge for this? I'm in a small town with no tech for 50 miles so I'm thinking this is going to cost me...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
  2. bigjilm

bigjilm Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2011
    georgia
    pictures in case youve never seen inside this thing...

Attached Files:

3. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Dec 19, 2008
    Chandler, AZ
    For some people, it's major surgery, for others, it's a no-brainer. If you have to ask, it's probably best if you leave it to a trained professional. Even if you know what not to touch, it's not habit for you poking around in amps, and you could get bit.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Hugh

Hugh Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville Kentucky
    Basically, it appears you will have to replace the socket which shouldn't cost all that much.

I'd call around and see if a tech is willing to do a while you wait repair. Explain the distance issue. They are great amps and worth having it serviced.

I've got the 210 version.

6. bigjilm

bigjilm Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2011
    georgia
    The main thing that worries me are all the tiny leads conecting the boards together.. I'll have to take everything off the casis and unfold the boards to get to the socket.. I can solder but dont have alot of experience with cicuit boards..

What do you think I'm looking at? About 2 hours labor and a socket.. probably run me around $150-$175 or so after I add in the new power tubes.. The one that was arcing is toast..

7. Hugh

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville Kentucky
    Did you buy it from a shop ?

8. bigjilm

bigjilm Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2011
    georgia
    pawn shop I work at.. Havent paid for it yet.. I mean, I can most likely get it for 150 or so or I could pass on it and the shop eat the bill.. Just trying to figure out which route I should take... It went from a sweet 150-175 kick ars amp to possibly a $300 project

9. bigjilm

bigjilm Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2011
    georgia
    I hear what your saying.. Good looking out..;)

10. Hugh

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville Kentucky
    They are worth 300 easy.

11. jwhit007

jwhit007 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 9, 2010
    indiana
    I'd ask for suggestions on the Peavey forum.
    Redirect

It seems like you guys might have got "okie doked" by an unscrupulous seller.

12. bigjilm

bigjilm Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2011
    georgia
    ^^^ Thanks man..

13. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I reckon the tech costs will be high. Every tech I know hates the folded Peavey circuit boards.