Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Bill Carson Cimarron Red...

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by The Apostle, Nov 24, 2012.

1. The Apostle

The Apostle Strat-O-Master

Feb 15, 2011
    Adelaide, S.A.
    I thought you'd all be interested in this. I came across this picture while drolling over pictures of a 1992 Bill Carson Custom Shop Stratocaster I found on listed eBay. This is a letter that comes with the Strat and tells the story of the colour Cimarron Red. I wish Fender would offer this colour again some day...

Attached Files:

2. The Apostle

Feb 15, 2011
    Adelaide, S.A.
  3. The Apostle

Feb 15, 2011
    Adelaide, S.A.
    Has anyone got any colour photographs or any information on Bill's Cimarron Red Stratocaster???

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Del1

Del1 Strat-O-Master

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, England
    On page 105 of The Stratocaster Chronicles by Tom Wheeler, there's a photograph of a beautiful '55 strat in Cimarron Red. It's next to an equally beautiful tele in the same colour. The caption says the name Cimarron Red was coined by Bill Carson and evolved into Dakota Red.

6. The Apostle

Feb 15, 2011
    Adelaide, S.A.
    You mean this picture?:

[​IMG]

I don't think that those two are in Cimarron Red. The color red is too light and Dakota Red was only available on 1957 and 58 Cadillacs.

7. Del1

Del1 Strat-O-Master

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, England
    That's the one. Red is notoriously difficult to photograph consistently, and looking at the page in front of me now, both guitars look darker than in your reproduction above. I'll quote the first part of the caption -

Perry A. Margouleff: " This is one of the earliest Custom Color Strats I've turned up in all my years of collecting, a '55. It's unquestionably authentic and correct. Many years later the Tele turned up; it's from the same period, and looks like it was painted out of the same can of paint. I've heard the color referred to as Cimarron Red."

In any event, I can only agree with you that it would be good to see this colour make a comeback.

8. The Apostle

Feb 15, 2011
    Adelaide, S.A.
    Here's some more pictures i've dug up:

Interesting that this picture shows the guitar with "Billy Carson" written on it.

[​IMG]

Here's the biggest picture I could find of that famous picture of Bill. Maybe Fender airbrushed "Billy Carson" off the guitar for this pic. Also, it looks like the guitar has a butterfly string tree and is obviously not a new guitar (dirty fretboard).

[​IMG]

9. Donald77

Donald77 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 22, 2010
    belgium
  10. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2011
    Chicago
    heh, I've got a Twin Amp like the one Bill's got his foot on. mine's a '56!

11. ripgtr

ripgtr Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    I love the picture of the Stringmaster. Looks like a 55 I am guessing? I know the setup changed around that time. I have a '57 double neck, very very cool steel guitar.

And this is especially cool cause Leon played. "Take it away Leon!"