Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boot drive is dead on Windows 10 PC

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by MetalPedal, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Now what? It’s a PC I built myself so Windows 10 was a download upgrade without any media. I don’t think I have any older copies of Windows.

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Windows 10 updates killed my laptop a few months ago. It just went into an endless cycle of reboots & failure to update. I had to buy a new laptop. I have also heard of many other computers, particularly lower spec models, that were killed by Windows 10 updates. Since the updates related to stuff like touch screen operation (which my laptop couldn't do) & voice operation (which I never wanted), my laptop was killed by a totally unnecessary update that was of no benefit at all to me, but which I was forced to install.

If this happened in any other field, I would be entitle to compensation from the company that had ruined my machine. But apparently Microsoft can do this & get away scot free. :mad:

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

3. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Were you both using lower versions of windows and got the upgrade to 10? I have heard lotsa horror stories of that but not so much with machines that had 10 installed from the start...

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Omar likes this.

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    No, the laptop had W10 from new.

6. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

7. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I was running Windows 10 for a few years before this happened. Pretty sure it’s a hardware problem as the BIOS doesn’t even see the C: drive anymore.

8. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Yes, haven’t done a clean install since Windows 7. Probably due now.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Put a new hard drive in it, or wipe the drive that's already in there. I'd have it working within the day...

(Cause I can't afford to buy new machines when Windows breaks again...)

s5tuart, Bodean and MetalPedal like this.

10. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada

11. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Yup, going to buy a new SSD today.

12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You might know how to do that - I don't.

13. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    We've got one here in the same condition. It's old and came with Windows 7 originally IIRC. It's my wife's computer so I'm not sure how it got upgraded to Windows 10, apparently some automatic push upgrade. I remember turning the ugprade off on this PC when Windows 10 was initially announced.

14. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    It’s not too hard. Two cables to connect the drive (power and data). Hardest part is installing the new OS from a CD ROM or USB key and then configuring everything. Windows 10 makes it pretty painless though (normally).

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I don't have a clue what you're talking about. What you just said makes as much sense to me as telling someone who has never held a guitar to "just play a simple E major chord, stupid!".

I can switch a computer on & off. On a good day.....

16. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I could pick up a guitar, but only make horrible noises, until I learned that first chord.

No, wait....

17. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-O-Master

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Contact a computer tech. Or a friend who knows what he is doing.
    Might be something in the BIOS settings.
    Sometimes disconnecting and then reconnecting a hard drive brings it back to life. Or connecting it to another PC. If it is not an SSD some times a gentle slap helps.

In short, it might be salvageable, if only to try to copy some personal stuff off it.

But if you have no one in your circle of friends with some computer experimentation experience, take it to a reputable tech service.

18. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Take it to PC World, even they are competent to fix the problem. They did a good job for Gary Glitter... :whistling:

s5tuart likes this.

19. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    My mate, who has worked in IT related stuff all his life, was unable to fix it over the phone. This is the first PC problem of mine he has been unable to fix over the phone.

He can probably fix it if he has it in front of him. But I'm in London, he's in Brighton, & I haven't had the time to drive down there since it broke. In the meantime I've bought a new laptop, so there's not a great incentive to ask a mate to spend hours of his time fixing something that only broke due to Microsoft forcing me to install an update I didn't need & didn't want.

We had this whole discussion several months ago when MS killed my laptop. There seems little point in going through the same old series of "it's easy to fix" suggestions all over again. No it isn't.

20. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    PC World? Oh OK. This would be the same company that sold me my new £250 laptop & told me that it was unlikely that such a cheap machine would even last two years.....