Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boot drive is dead on Windows 10 PC

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by MetalPedal, Aug 9, 2018.

1. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I bought a car from Microsoft. They come in every so often at night and change the brakes,gearbox,exhaust.
    Apparently if the brakes don't work it's my fault cuz I installed a 3rd party car seat cover.

s5tuart and Groovey like this.
  2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Terms and conditions, Hold Harmless agreements.... "These are just starting points...". Straight from more than one lawyers mouth to me.

circles likes this.
  3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I don't doubt that. I think a case against MS could be won. But only if the plaintiff could put up a team of lawyers even better & more expensive than the team MS would throw at their defence. And MS would fight this case to the death. Just like the tobacco companies did on claims from people who died from consuming their product.

A case could be won. And maybe, one day, a case will be won. But it will be one hell of a hard fight, despite the undoubted merits of the case.

Groovey likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
  5. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    I don't know where you are on this but you if you Download a Windows 10 .iso and use Rufus,

https://rufus.akeo.ie

Or use MS's USB creator you can make a bootable Window 10 installation USB stick.

Set boot order to USB or use the Boot keys that come up before loading(F12 on mine) and choose to boot from the stick.

Note:Some USB sticks don't work for this.Transcend and Sandisk have worked for me.

Let windows start to install and then choose the advanced/repair options.

If no good re-run and fresh install from the stick.If install goes well do NOT add an Internet connection during the install otherwise it will take ages.You can update later if you wish.I don't bother unless a find something that needs an MS update.

I've just used this method Yesterday to clean re-install a genuine windows 10 on a refurbished laptop.Product code activated automatically once I went on-line after the install but I had disabled window's Auto-updates.

Once installed an running I make a system backup image using the free Aomei Backupper

https://www.backup-utility.com

Of the fresh install and then another once I've got my programs loaded and setup and refresh the backup/s as I go along.

Also ,"Clean" re-installs aren't so I use the free Privazer after I backup to clean all the junk out,

https://privazer.com

My boot time on this Dell PC with 8 gig of RAM/i5 CPU 128gig SSD boot drive is 15 seconds in Windows 10 :)

PS

Didn't like Windows 10 main interface so........

http://www.classicshell.net

I like the older style Win7 Start menu etc.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  6. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Very helpful thanks. I'm not going to worry about trying to save anything. I'm going to do a complete new install. Get rid of 10+ years of Windows junk.

7. Hal Nico

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    I've always liked win7 and went straight to as I didn't see the pont of Win8 so went to win10 which I'm finding to be the best yet.

I remember the real shoddy days on the first Win95 :eek: but got Win95B running fine.Same with Win98.98 SE was fine.Gave ME a miss and went to XP,which was great.

MetalPedal likes this.
  8. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Make absolutely sure you are using the correct WIN 10 version(ISO) otherwise it will not install or not activate because you need the exact version of WIN 10 for your digital license linked to your Micro$oft account (EMail adress and passwort you log into WIN 10).

All the best,
    Robin

MetalPedal likes this.
  9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
  10. Hal Nico

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    Yes get the correct version but I don't have an MS account and my version still activated :)

11. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It is. Until it kills your PC by compulsorily upgrading to something that you don't need & don't want. Then it automatically becomes the worst yet.

I have never had any other versions of Windows kill a PC stone dead just by installing a compulsory upgrade.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  12. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    See? and people always say that Micro$oft´s PC tracking for the NSA doesn´t work.

Life is good,
    Robin

13. Hal Nico

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    PS

I also always partition my drives into two using the free Mintool Partition software and keep data on the second partition.

https://www.partitionwizard.com

That way if I want to clean re-install that partition doesn't get wiped.It's also useful for checking if SSD drives are correctly,"Aligned" and or to align them.

I've also used it to,"Clone" disks :)

14. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I think I mentioned this earlier but I have two hard drives in RAID 1 so that's where most of my data is stored. Those guys still work fine. I'm good with wiping the entire drive C boot and data partitions and doing a 100% clean install of Windows 10.

15. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Hmm, I've been using a PC since DOS and all version of Windows except ME. Never had it kill a computer yet.

16. Hal Nico

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR

Cool :)

17. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Neither had I till a few months ago. And I'm not the only one who has their PC killed by W10.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Me too, I'll add ME, Windows 2000 and Vista to your list, never had a problem with any of them. I have had to sort out Windows 8 and Windows 10 installs (not mine) that had a good try though.

MetalPedal likes this.
  19. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    Windows 2000 Professional remains my favorite. Stable (at least for me), straightforward, did what it should, and a plain user interface that didn’t look like a phone or video game. The underlying architecture was as goofy as any version, and it still wasn’t really an OS, but it was a platform for professionals to do productive work on.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  20. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Windows 10 is notoriously difficult to get into recovery mode if your PC isn't booting. With previous versions of Windows, you could press F8 (I think) during the Windows bootup process and it would display the recovery menu. Windows 10 boots up faster, so much so that it's pretty much impossible to bring up its recovery menu during the Windows bootup process. There is another way to get it to boot in recovery mode, but you have to already be able to boot into Windows and select a menu option to tell it to boot in recovery next time.. That's one of the things that has disappointed me about Windows 10.

The Microsoft car: Relatively inexpensive, goes almost anywhere, but may crash randomly and require maintenance.
    Apple car: Works very well but you can only drive it on a limited number of roads. If something breaks, you have to buy a whole new car.
    Linux car: They give you a pile of parts and you have to put it together yourself.

With Windows XP and newer, you can turn off the fancy UI stuff they do. Normally I would go into the Services list and disable the Themes service (I think that's what it was called), and then it would look more like Windows 2000.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    s5tuart, RobZ69 and roger@pennyflic like this.