Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cuban

Cuban Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2017
    UK
    Pretty pleased to have double the storage since the update.

carolinaeasy likes this.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I updated last night and loaded my 8! new presets. Boss really did a great job on this update.

3. carolinaeasy

Figured I would post an update. Last week I ordered a cabinet from Mojotone, a 1x12 lite in space black with Ampeg grill cloth loaded with an 8ohm Celestion Vintage 30 70w 12" speaker. I played through the cabinet with the Katana head set at 50w, and used various sneaky amp presets. The Vox amp models really shined on this setup. I found that many of my presets could use some serious tweaking now that I am playing through a 12" speaker instead of the internal 5" speaker. I would highly recommend anyone interested to check out the Mojotone cabinets, mine is well built, nicely priced, and the head fits on top of the speaker like a charm. I think I will be buying another one in the near future to compliment the existing one. Pics to come sometime this weekend.

johnnymg and Cuban like this.

4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Oooh, this looks tempting :). How long did it take for you to get the cabinet after you placed the order?

5. carolinaeasy

I bought an in-stock cabinet, so I had it in 2 days. I picked the speaker I wanted they installed it and shipped that same day. If you call them, I am sure they will have something in stock in the 1x12 lite they can ship quickly.

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Go to min 3:00 for some Katana tonze.

ChaplainMike likes this.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    V2.02 firmware bugfix update due in the next couple of days.

I recognized some bug report of KTN Ver 2.01 on TGP, so I discussed with Amp team.
    We are fixing bugs now. We're gonna release 2.02 next week, now we are checking beta version.
    In this version, I knew it doesn't include Sys Ex problem with the fxfloorboard software, so we will fix Sys Ex problem asap too in next version.

Please share this info with your friends.

Best,
    Yoshi

8. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    OH NOOOOOO....................

My Katana 100 is dead. Not seriously sick.................. just totally dead. No lights, no nothin.

:(

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017

9. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Bummer. :( I wonder how long Boss/Roland will take to repair it? There was one report of the same thing happening over at TGP, somewhere between page 350 and now... :confused:

10. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I posted my 'tale of woe' on page 582 of that thread. I'll contact Boss/Roland on Mon and see what their policy is on shipping it for repair. I suspect it will be on my dime to ship it to them. :(

I'm tempted to open it up and poke around.................. :whistling:

Is it possible I could turn into a Katana troll/hater??? :eek: ............. :p

EDIT:
    I removed the 'head' from the cab and verified the ON/OFF switch and internal fuse were OK. Looks like I'll have to ship this amp to the repair house. :oops:

Only thing good I can say right now is that the electronics 'looked' nicely laid out and of good quality parts. At a glance the electronics looked like a better build quality than my Mustang III amp.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017

11. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I think it's down to you to return it. I was told (by the shop) if anything went wrong with mine, to take it back there and they would return it to Boss UK.

You? Hater? Never gonna happen :p

johnnymg likes this.

12. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I removed the 'head' from the cab and verified the ON/OFF switch and internal fuse were OK. Looks like I'll have to ship this amp to the repair house. :oops:

Only thing good I can say right now is that the electronics 'looked' nicely laid out and of good quality parts. At a glance it looked like a better build quality than my Mustang III amp head.
    Is the Katana considered a "stage amp" ???

I can't find the specific warranty info in the user manual or online.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017

13. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    It seems you have to register to get email support (Why didn't they tell us that in the manual??):

https://www.roland.com/us/support/service_request/

johnnymg likes this.

14. telebluesman67

telebluesman67 New Member!

Oct 29, 2017
    West Virginia
    Ok Katana owners I just joined this club.

I have the Katana 50. At this point I just use it for practice. I have a Fender Vibrolux Reverb that is my main amp and it goes without saying that I love it.

Now as to my KT50 .....I am falling for it fast for what it's intended for in my purpose.

I have not used any of the Boss Tone Studio software and at this early point I don't intend to because since I mostly play the blues only, it provides plenty of useable blues tones from the top panel setting.

I am enjoying reading all the members reviews here and their uses for the Katana series amps. I would have bought the 100 watt 2X12 if I was going to use it to gig with but the 50 watt model gives me plenty of volume and tone variations for my use here at home.

I am impressed how well it sounds for a SS amp. I have never been a fan of SS amps as I have always played tube amps since I started playing seriously in 1954. That being said, I can't believe how it comes very close to the feel and "sag" of a tube amp and has a very useable reverb and delay settings. Since these effects and my hands and my trusted old Telecaster are all I ever use when I play. I believe it even sounds better than a very high dollar custom SS Pritchard amp I played once.

For the money spent, in my case, a mere 200.00, this amp is nothing short of amazing. I have a delay pedal that cost considerably more than this amp. Go figure

I have the Boss FS-5L channel switching pedal and I plan on eventually using it to set up a OD channel with just a touch of edge to it to try and fit in with my style of playing.

Another really nice feature for me being an aging old guitar player is how easy it is in weight as a "grab - n - go " amp. Not like lugging my Vibrolux around or the old Blackface 1964 Super reverb amp that sits in a corner covered since about 30 years ago.

I take it now to band practice to save my back and use the 50 watt setting and it does the job just fine. I am possibly considering using it on a show and just have the FOH guys mic it but I am not quite there yet on that plan. The Vibro is still my main giging companion for that but it might want to look over it's shoulder now and then LOL.

If I was in all reality to use a Katana for a show, I would most probably just go get the 2X12 100 watt one. But I am that impressed so far to at least consider this smaller 50 watt model.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    carolinaeasy and johnnymg like this.

15. telebluesman67

Oct 29, 2017
    West Virginia
    Resized_20171026_174113.jpeg this is my practice bedroom rig. No pedals needed just my trusted old friend and my new Katana 50 . All that is required is just the standard top panel settings that work fine. I suppose someday I might get into all that other stuff but for the purpose I needed the KT50 for at the moment its a great choice in an amp for literally a very small monetary investment.

I agree with virtually all the Katana amp owners in this club, you can't beat any of the Katana amps for there abilities and their price point and the amazing tones that come out of them.

Just a side note... I have always found that my trusted old friend TQ my Tele has always delivered no matter what amp I used. Of the many guitars I own I always come back to or seldom ever vary from this instrument. It's like an extension of my musical soul to me.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    johnnymg and Pretzel like this.

16. Pretzel

Pretzel Strat-Talk Member

May 25, 2017
    Ohio
    Guess I better join the club soon....amp has already jumped 10% in price. The secret is getting out

telebluesman67 likes this.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Installing the latest firmware will give you four memory slots, which you can use to save your current settings by holding down the memory button for a couple of seconds. That's how I use mine. The 50 is quite happy mic'd and through the desk with the band, I only use the 25 W setting. :)

It's the worst kept secret since the Mars bar...

18. telebluesman67

Oct 29, 2017
    West Virginia

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    V2.02 bugfix patch is now available from a boss.info website near you. :)

20. Pretzel

Pretzel Strat-Talk Member

May 25, 2017
    Ohio
    Just joined the club with a 50 watter. Lots to explore with this amp that won’t outgrow for a long time.

Was going to try recording to Audacity on my PC. Do you use a 1/4” to 3.5 mm cable and go from headphone out to computer sound card input?