Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 1980

1980 Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    Joined the club with a Katana 50. Had a difficult time initially finding a clean tone to my liking. But after a while of messing around I’m getting closer. I really like the 5, 25, 50 watt setting choices. Also the reverb is really nice. Is anyone using a footswitch with the 50?

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one that can't find a decent tone....I've had my K50 for a little over the a week and I'm thinking about throwing in the towel...

Maybe I need to read the manual.....nah, that would be to easy.....

1980 likes this.

3. Frok

Frok Strat-Talk Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Houston, TX
    It's all preference but what I have found (With the K100) is add just a little blues drive and increase the gain on the clean channel. It gets a really nice crisp clean sound with a little grit.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I just turned mine on and pretended it was an amplifier.

Yaralag, shupe13 and GuitarPix like this.

5. 1980

1980 Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    Ok, here’s an update as I’ve now had more time with the Katana 50. Like I said before, I was having a difficult time initially dialing in a clean tone that I liked. Actually considered returning it after my first couple hours with the amp. Finally got around to hooking it up to my computer and tweaking it in the BOSS Tone Studio. Added the sneaky amps Live Set and immediately found some killer clean tones. 30 additional amp selections, now we’re talking.
    The amp takes most of my pedals pretty well. Mixed results on a couple. Now that I have the Channels and Banks set up to my liking I’m playing straight in.
    Also played an acoustic through the Katana and got great results. Easy to add some basic effects and it produces a pretty clear amplified sound. Really enjoying the versitility of this little amp. It’s doesn’t weigh much either.

Edit: Forgot to mention I found a fender amp switch that changes channels on the Katana 50.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Ok,
    Been wondering about an acoustic
    With
    The 100 head
    Haven't fiddled with the studio yet...

7. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Thanks for the update.....me being a total nub when it comes to computers maybe I need to hire you to set mine up... .....funny but I had the exact same thought as you to return the amp...still thinking about that

1980 likes this.

8. 1980

1980 Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    The process of setting all of that up wasn’t exactly a cakewalk, especially for someone who isn’t tech savy. Well worth the effort though.
    Shouldn’t BOSS include a usb cable with this amp? And a footswitch? Luckily I had an adaptor in the bottom of my random cables box.

Lovnmesomestrat and johnnymg like this.

9. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    So, I finally got my new Ibanez bass and had a chance to try it with the Katana 100:

On the 0.5W setting the volume was good enough for 'bedroom' practice. Loud enough to probably get a 'what's going on down there' shout out from my better half. :whistling: I used my standard 'clean' channel setting with no tone adjustments and the bass tones sounded absafreaking GREAT. :)

I briefly tried the 50W setting but realized it was just MORE volume and wasn't really needed/wanted. The walls were a shaking though. :D

10. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Watch that speaker...

The funniest review I've seen in ages

11. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Maybe I missed it but have any strat-talk members purchased the Katana Artist?

12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Ok:
    Under normal conditions...
    We 100 amp people can stack...
    And
    Save definitions containing/knobs...
    But
    If
    Using the tone lab..
    Can I define stacks(3+ pedals/tones)
    And
    Save them to one onboard button?
    All my pedals sound like crap through the 100w head..
    Seems I own zzyzx pedals...

13. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    "All my pedals sound like crap through the 100w head.."

Can you be a bit more specific about the tones with pedals. What are you using for a preset? I would suggest setting up the Katana amp as a 'clean' or just barely gritty (at most) amp for use with pedals.

Also, make sure the pedal vol level isn't crazy high. The Katana amps are generally liked as far as pedal friendly amps go. That said, SS/modeler/digital (queue up the blah blah blah about what the K's are) amps generally don't like real high level inputs.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

14. Frok

Frok Strat-Talk Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I played a small "gig" with my Katana 100 last night. I ran my pedalboard in front of it and I think it sounded great. I only had the master a little more than a quarter and it was plenty loud.

I did turn the volume down on my pedals which made the overdrive much clearer. Not sure why but it seems to make a difference with this amp. When my pedals go into a tube amp I have the volume much higher.

I would have just used the stock effects built into the amp but I've never convinced myself to buy the $100 footswitch.

15. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I'm most of the way into officially joining this club - I 'rented' (for a month) a 100 the other day for a solo gig. Long & McQuade doesn't normally rent that particular amp (but they do have a very good rental department - I rented a couple of powered PA speakers for the event - $15 each for a day's worth) but I am serious about getting this particular amp and I'll have more than enough money in a few weeks. Used it at the gig with just the basic clean tone - tweaked the eq, added some reverb and away I went. Sounded good to me and lots of people complimented the 'electric' tone that night (also had my acoustic there but it went through the PA.

Now I'm messing with Tone Studio. Downloaded Floorboard but cannot for anything get it to connect.

I checked the firmware - turn on while holding down the tap button: on .5w it was Delay light lit up and 100w it was Booster light just as its supposed to be for the latest version: has anyone put together a listing of what versions light up how?

In fact I'm having trouble finding a lot of information about the inner workings of the Katana and the Tone Studio is nowhere near as comprehensive as the Fender Mustang software was when I used those amps for awhile.

Realizing the software aspect of the Katana is far from the user friendly style this old Mac guy is used to.

Still love the amp though.

Last edited: May 11, 2018

16. Frok

Frok Strat-Talk Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I found this video helpful in getting the Tone Studio to work.

17. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Thanks for the reply Frok, I have seen that video and while I've got Tone Studio working - just don't find it nearly as good as the Fender Mustang version - which was a lot harder to get actually working but was easier and more useful once installed. Good thing I like the Katana sounds more than the Mustang's.

What I'm finding is there is a real lack of decent information on the Katana and organizing the sounds. And with only 3/4 slots (depending on how you set the reverb) it's kind of limited. Maybe I need to run a compressor and a couple of other effects before the input to get what I want out of the Katana.

Perhaps I should get a small, used PC laptop to run Floorboard so I can run effects live that way? Anyone have any idea if you can use the foot controller in stompbox mode with the Floorboard running the patches?

18. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    You save the patches from floorboard in the Katana channels, just the same as you do with Tone Studio. Gumtown over at The Gear Page or Vguitar forums is the guy to ask about connecting, assuming you've already selected Katana in FxFloorboard/Settings/Preferences.

19. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Yup, tried that. I don’t spend anytime over at either of those forums but I guess I’ll have to head over there. Thanks

20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    How do you guys think the Katana 50 does for low gain jazz music with humbuckers??

I love my fender mustang with single coils, but it just sounds pretty muddy with humbuckers