Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I’m betting it’d be quite good - my first gig with my 100 set at 50 was using the basic clean channel - and got a lot of compliments on my sound. Depending of course on the humbuckers.

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Which version of Mustang do you have and which preset are you using? When I had my Mustang III I used Shanes 68 Deluxe patch with slight edits. I seem to recall my single coil tones were slightly better than my HB with that amp. I didn't mess with it much though. You might want to try Shanes preset with some delay for a HB.

That said, I sold my Mustang recently because the Katana 100 did everything with a bit more punch and character. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Katana 50. I might get one myself for a second/stereo setup.

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    That’s a good point.. I did set my sounds up with single coils in mind.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I have to make slight adjustments depending on which Strat and single coils I'm using, so I use one bank for my ST54 and the other for my CP50. Humburglars (which I don't currently have) would need different settings again. I'm very happy with my Katana 50.

Yaralag and nickmsmith like this.
  5. Kenster212

Kenster212 New Member!

May 20, 2018
    USA
    Just curious if anyone has set up 2 Katana's for stereo. Routing the signal could be a problem. I usually run effects pedals into the FX loop except overdrive which goes into the front end.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Elantric over at The Gear Page runs a pair of 100 combos in stereo on stage, so it has been done. (It's somewhere in the 600+ pages of the Katana thread there. :rolleyes:)

7. Kenster212

Kenster212 New Member!

May 20, 2018
    USA
    Thanks Thrup'ny for the timely response.

8. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Just thought I would post this in case it wasn’t already buried somewhere in this thread. Dave Simpson is a bit spastic but runs through many different tones with his Katana 50 and just loves it. It’s really reassuring to see that this amp can do it all for you. Every time I start thinking about a tube amp my KT50 surprises me again. The Fender Princeton is gone. It was a wonderful amp but I just don’t see needing it now.

9. GrantR

GrantR New Member!

Dec 21, 2010
    New Zealand
    If you don't like Dave Simpson - for whatever reason - fair enough. Don't watch his video's. As to calling him "a bit of a spastic", that is nasty and not at all the type of comment I want to read on this forum.

10. Yaralag

Hi @GrantR, welcome to the forum! I’m not exactly sure where all of that is coming from. I happen to really like Dave Simpson. Many of the members on this forum are older and don’t always appreciate the antics of guys like Dave or Rob Chapman from Anderton’s which is the reason I put that comment in there. I wouldn’t have posted his video if I didn’t like him. Calling my comments nasty is quite a stretch. I can think of many nasty things to say about someone and “spastic” is not one of them. If that is viewed as a derogatory term in NZ then I apologize, otherwise I believe you are overreacting. On the topic of my post; what did you think of the video? Do you currently own a Katana?

sp8ctre and Morf2540 like this.
  11. GrantR

GrantR New Member!

Dec 21, 2010
    New Zealand
    Hi there. I wasn't looking to start any kind of argument. I do think calling someone a spastic is derogatory, probably in most countries. However, lets move on :)
    Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I'm very interested in Katana amps, and recently bought the Artist model which I really like. I've been playing guitar for 50+ years and been through the variety of tube and solid state amps. I'm completely over the argument about which is superior. If you like how it sounds, feels, and how it plays, it's a good amp. End of story. I really like the sound and feel of the Katana amps I've tried - which is only the 100 1x12, and the Artist one I bought.
    IMO Boss / Roland have been making quality gear for many years and I think it's great that they continue to push the boundaries of what's possible and affordable for most muso's.
    Cheers from 'down under', Grant.

Lovnmesomestrat and Yaralag like this.
  12. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Hey all, after demo'ing a Boss 100 at the local music store last week and getting a deep discount price offer, I'm trying really hard not to buy it but I don't think it's working. Talk me out of it...is everyone in the club here really happy with their purchase?
    What intrigues me outside of the .5W practice mode, great effects and really good sound, is the online software/USB function. It sounds like a really nice setup. How is it to work with for real?

13. Yaralag

It is amazing. You could watch the video I just posted and he echoes the same sentiment as many of the Katana lovers here. I agonized over my decision to stop using my Princeton but played the two amps side by side for months and realized that the Katana is just that good.

Lovnmesomestrat and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  14. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I've done two solo shows, me and two guitars, electric and acoustic. I haven't had a chance to put the acoustic through it yet but for my electric guitar songs, I've gotten lots of compliments on the sound.

On another note, I just got the GA-FC switch for my 100 and set up the primary (A) channels for my 339 and the secondary (B) channels for my Strat - having an optimized clean, crunch and tremolo channels for each - with boost and delay as selectable effects that aren't turned on by default - but can be turned on just by hitting the 'effects' button on the switcher. Then there's one acoustic channel (using the acoustic simulation in case I don't have my actual acoustic with me) and then one clean with a basic slap-back along by default, with higher gain boost and wilder tape delay as selectable 'effects.' I worked at keeping all the channels the same volume so if I switch back and forth it won't be drastic changes in volume.

However, I am going to be adding effects in front and through the effects loop to expand on the number of choices - it's near impossible to get the compressor into any of the channels I've set up with the options I want, and I really wasn't impressed with the compressors built in. I also have a few boost/distortion pedals I want to use. I also use a looping pedal and will be putting that through the effects loop so it can use the sound the amp produces. Finally I have a volume pedal I'll be using. So it'll be an interesting board when I'm done.

Now I have to go out and jam with some people to see how it works in that situation, but so far quiet happy with the Katana.

Lovnmesomestrat, johnnymg and Yaralag like this.
  15. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat Fumbler Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 30, 2010
    The stolen land of the Iceni
    Based on all the love here I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a KTN 50 unseen and untried. I've never bought an amp I haven't played through, but I read all 18 pages of this thread and looked at random posts in the 760 page thread at TGP and thought it must be worth trying. In a couple of days I'll be waiting on UPS and cursing their useless tracking system (the last two packages they've delivered arrived when the system said they were still in the depot, but that's a rant for a separate thread).

Are the banks and channels preloaded with sample settings or are they empty, waiting for user settings? I've read the manual and and just ended up with a headache. Boss seem to employ a Russian speaking Swahili to translate their manuals.

Now off to download the Tone Studio and Floorboard software, just for kicks. :)

16. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Welcome to the tribe. :p

The presets are empty.

Hairy Bear likes this.
  17. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat Fumbler Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 30, 2010
    The stolen land of the Iceni
    Thanks. Change of courier, I'll have it tomorrow pm. I'm polishing my best Tele in readiness.

johnnymg likes this.
  18. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Hmm, mine were full of mediocre settings.

Hairy Bear likes this.
  19. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Back to your cave!

IMG_8405-2.JPG

GuitarPix likes this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    They were empty (18 months ago) in V1.0 of the firmware, after that, Boss decided to keep adding every more Line 6 like rubbish with every update, just to give us something to moan about...:whistling:

Yaralag and Hairy Bear like this.