Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Thought I was supposed to be under a bridge

johnnymg likes this.
  2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    That's my territory!

troll-bridge.jpg

3. kn4ud

kn4ud New Member!

Jul 19, 2018
    I am new here and have owned KTN 50 for a little over a year. I am very pleased with the amp. Just upgraded it to version 2. I am not a professional player so the 50 is plenty big enough for me, the wife thinks it is too big for the house. I have just ordered a new speaker for it from Guitar Center and it should be here tomorrow. The speaker I chose was the Cannabis Rex from Eminence.

4. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Welcome to Strat-Talk

Let us know how that new speaker sounds compared to the stock speaker.

kn4ud likes this.
  5. wayoutjohn

wayoutjohn Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2018
    NJ
    Just picked up a used Mini! Can I be officially sworn into the cool Katana Club please? :cool:

johnnymg likes this.
  6. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    It's like Hotel Katana: You can check in any time you like, but you can never ......................

wayoutjohn and Hairy Bear like this.
  7. kn4ud

kn4ud New Member!

Jul 19, 2018
    Ok, the cannabis rex speaker is installed in the KTN 50 and played for a coupe of days. Without a doubt their is a big difference in sound. I had watched a few youtube videos of others who had made the swap and thought from what I was hearing on the video's it would be worth the effort and it was no joke, man this little amp is wicked even on the low power setting it has a lot more punch than the oem setup speaker. The video's I seen showed people installing it in the same orientation as the original and doing some cutting of the wood shield that is attached to the bottom of the amp head and the wires going to the speaker at a 90 degree orientation like the original speaker. You can turn the speaker to the next set of mounting holes where the wires are going in near the bottom of the head, still easy to plug in when assembled, and all you have to do is cut a notch in the wood shield. Bottom line, the speaker change was WELL WORTH IT.

sp8ctre and johnnymg like this.
  8. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Sounds cool.

I don’t suppose by any chance you did a recording or video before and after?

kn4ud likes this.
  9. kn4ud

kn4ud New Member!

Jul 19, 2018
    Sorry, I did not make a before recording. At the present I don't have anyway , other than cell phone which is not good, to do a recording after the install. I can post picture of the completed install. I am going over to a friends house to let him check it out and then I can get him to record it. He has his the microphones and equipment to do this with, LOL and the main thing is he is far better player than I am, you guys would be throwing rocks at me and my playing.

sp8ctre likes this.
  10. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    There are a couple Katana vs Canabils Rex comparison vids on youtube.

This is one of them. Tones @1:00

I need another small 1x12 cab so I'll probably steal the Kat 100 speaker for that build. Think I'll put a WGS ET90 in Kat box.

DickBanks, kn4ud and GuitarPix like this.
  11. kn4ud

kn4ud New Member!

Jul 19, 2018
    johnnymg, that is the video that sealed the deal on me going with the c rex. I had looked at other speakers but not willing to go for the C. Gold that cost almost double what I gave for the amp I decided to go with the c rex. The oem speaker sounded good to me but the c rex sounds better. I am going to make a cabinet and use the oem speaker in it. I don't have any pedals so the KTN 50 has saved me some money by all the built in features that I am still playing with. I would like to have a schematic of the circuit of this unit, would like to try my hand at setting up a Nextion 3.5 display with sd card to have more than just 2 channels and 2 banks of settings.

johnnymg likes this.
  12. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    My WAG on cracking into a Katana (and adding a display) would be through the USB interface. Would be quite a task even if you had the schematics.

I did embedded processing and know a bit about this stuff but I'm retired now and the thought of going back to that woodshed gives me the willies. :p
    Good luck to you for thinking/attempting such efforts and shame on Boss/Roland for omitting this feature. :thumbd:

13. kn4ud

kn4ud New Member!

Jul 19, 2018
    That was my first WAG, go through the usb but I was more interested in tx/rx lines from the Nextion display to the processor in the KTN but I would not start that without having the information on what processor and the schematic of the amp and then I am sure the interface between the two could be a problem. I have been doing some programming of the Nextion and graphic interface on ham radio projects that are very involved with touch screen features and I guess I had a brain fart that made me think about trying this on the KTN. Yes, this is a woodshed project I should avoid.. LOL, and this is probably something the guys here don't want the site cluttered up with my WA idea..

johnnymg likes this.
  14. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    It's an amp that just begs for an onboard interface. A tough nut to crack for a HW hack indeed.

The other approach would be to crack the Boss SW so it could run on IOS/Android. Doing a Google search will reveal a bit of activity on that front.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Condor/Gumtown have the Android (6.01 or better) editor out there already, it needs a USB OTG cable.

16. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Is it a solid app yet? I saw a few posts indicating it was very buggy.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    No idea, I don't have an Android 6.01+ phone...

18. KiwiStratFan

KiwiStratFan Strat-Talk Member

Apr 19, 2015
    New Zealand
    Finally got my hands on a shiny new Katana 50, and am loving some of the tones it can produce! I'm especially loving the 0.5w option - I have a Fender Super Champ X2, (which I love), but I just don't get the chance to crank it, barely going past 2 for volume...

The Katana is impressing me with how easy it is to dial in some nice tones out of the box - the controls are nice and easy to figure out, and it's so cool to still have the dynamics etc at lower volumes. I haven't even really played around with the Tone Central options yet, but can see that there's an impressive amount of tweaking that can be done if required.

Next will be trying some pedals in front of the amp, but haven't felt the need yet!
    :)

johnnymg and shupe13 like this.
  19. Cobra

Cobra Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Florida
    I’ve had my 50 for a few months now and it is a great amp.

johnnymg likes this.
  20. Cobra

Cobra Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Florida
    I really like this amp. You can crank it up and blow the windows out or you can play it at bedroom levels and not disturb the neighbors. Having the 0.5, 25 or 50 watt selection along with the standby mode is very nice and well thought out. The effects are just as I expected and with the five different amp settings (Brown, Lead, Crunch, Clean and acoustic) you can expect a lot of different ways to set it up. It has 2 preset channels with a panel setting and if you get everything so out of whack you get lost...you can do a factory reset that puts everything back to the original settings. It even has a little short leg on the bottom you can unfold so you can angle the amp upward a little bit. Plug in an i-rig and your i-phone, start the GarageBand app and prepare to get your mind blown.
    I have very limited knowledge about amplifiers so take this next statement for what it’s worth...I really don’t have anything bad to say about this little amp.
    If you have been thinking about buying one of these, do yourself a favor and do it!