Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Learning Curve

2. thomquietwolf

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    So
    Came home from
    Costco
    Wine Spirits and more
    Nursery, wife picked flowers for the half wine barrel planters
    Stopped and got "dirt"
    Too, too, too bizarre...
    Getting dirt...
    Come home
    Have a shot
    Dust the pipe
    Played the mini cube
    Mrs. Came in
    Taps me on the shoulder
    You have a new amp on the deck

Unwrap it like a 6 year old AT Christmas
    Plugged it into my 1x12 alnico cab and Tele
    Played for 30 minutes, just notes n chords.
    Noise...
    I need 3, 6, 100 days to digest this with

Lindy Fralin Tele
    @Bodean strat
    ES-335
    Peavey raptor with sensors
    1x8
    2x8
    2x10
    1x12
    2x12
    And
    Then songs
    "
    HOW TO USE IT(The Katana)
    "

tery and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

3. thomquietwolf

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    I forgot
    Pictures
    Pitchers
    Piksures
    Pics
    IMG_20170414_1723074_rewind.jpg IMG_20170414_1723334_rewind.jpg
    It happened!

4. thomquietwolf

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    The Katana head seems to
    Love the blue sensor in the neck
    The gold not so much in the midle
    Is OK with the old fashion Duncan in the bridge
    Watts set at 50
    2x10 Jenson P10q cab
    Lottsa delay

johnnymg likes this.

5. Frok

Frok Strat-Talk Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Does anyone else think the DISTORTION effect has way too much low-end? I love the blues-driver but the distortion sounds muddy.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I don't often use distortion, so I really wouldn't know, but today I went into the tone studio and found the Tube Screamer. I've always found that lifting the amp of the floor usually breaks the bass coupling effect and lessens the boominess.

7. thomquietwolf

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Any special space?
    Feet, meters
    Or just physical contact, so as to directly un-couple the box from the room?

8. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Not really, I used to stand my Princeton on a beer crate or a chair when I was gigging. Whatever came to hand really. It makes a huge difference with the Micro Cube, lift it off the floor and the bass almost disappears completely.

9. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    You can adjust the distortion in Tone Studio like you would a regular boss pedal along with using the equalizer to help adjust the tone.

If you still can't get a tone you like there's always the option to remove the distortion "pedal" and replace with a Rat, Metal Zone or numerous others.

Hope that helps.

johnnymg and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

10. thomquietwolf

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Do the changes you make with tone studio persist with the unit After unplugging?
    Or
    Do ya have to maintain the umbilical connection?

11. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Once you have the tone you like you can save it one of the 4 presets ON the amp and/or back to a "tone file" on your computer. Note: Boss refers to the presets as "channels": CH1, CH2, etc.

From the 'abuser manual' regarding the preset buttons: "When you press and hold a button for one second, the panel settings are stored."

BTW, congrats on getting this head. How does the little speaker in the head sound? Is it decent enough to practice at low volume?

Buying dirt............. that's almost as bad as hauling a load of dirt to a county disposal site and paying to dump it. Did that recently......... WTH is this world coming too! We are sooooo doomed!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

12. Frok

Frok Strat-Talk Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I'll have to give that a try. I don't use the distortion very often. My favorite setting is clean with the blues driver cranked. Just noticed when I switch to distortion it's not a very natural distorted sound with the bass rumbling so much.

I still haven't hooked my amp to the computer yet since the only computer I have is a work laptop. I can't add anything to it without administrator access and I don't think the tone studio works for my ipad. Which is too bad because I really want to adjust the octaver effect.

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

I just ordered the Katana 100w head. I will update this post once it gets here this week.

Lovnmesomestrat, Cuban, xland and 2 others like this.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Sorry I missed this The guys over on the GearPage forum have links to Phone apps and such that are being developed, so something might be available to help you out soon, but they all need the firmware update, which needs either Windoze or a Mac up to now.

15. carolinaeasy

My Katana head arrived today, a mere 27 hours after ordering it from a shop on Reverb in Maryland. Incredible shipping time and the rate that was free!

Now to the amp head, I simply plugged it in and turned it on. I tried out all four amp models listed on the board, I did a little knob turning but over all I just played and that thing was a lot of fun! The built in speaker was perfect for bedroom level playing, and the tones I got with my 86/87 American Std were really appealing. The attack dynamics really shown on this. Overall, after just a hour of playing, I really think this is a solid amp.

16. carolinaeasy

A question for the other folks here on the sneaky amps. I have not yet looked at the Boss Tone Studio software, haven't even downloaded it yet. Is getting access to the sneaky amps as easy as installing the Boss software and then unzipping the sneaky amps file?

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Download the sneaky amps unzip it, import the .tsl file into Tone Studio. Drag and drop amps into your Channel 1-4 slots. Adjust to taste, add pedals etc. Save by holding the channel button for a second.

Make sure the the firmware is updated before and Katana drivers are installed before anything else.

Tone Studio requires Adobe Air.

Check out the 390 page thread on GearPage. Start at the end and work back a few pages, you'll find full instructions.

18. carolinaeasy

Thanks!

I have a Macbook so I won't be using windows.

johnnymg and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Ah, OK no idea what the software is like or needs on the Mac. Microsoft or Adobe updated something at the end of last week that broke Tone Studio and Boss pulled the Windoze download for a couple of days. No details have been given though.

20. carolinaeasy

What are some of your favorite panel settings for playing so far? I really liked the crunch amp, with the volume jacked, the gain at 8 o'clock, and the master controlling output. I rolled back my volume on the guitar to about 4 and had a really sweet singing tone, then when I rolled the guitar pot to 10 it had a great crunchy tone. I think this amp is my new go to amp.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.