Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Pretty similar really, but usually on the clean amp, volume all the way and gain about 3 o'clock, master to 'just tasteful' :p and guitar volume rolled back. Delay and reverb as required. Change pickup and guitar volume up to just growling a bit. Just digging in or playing gently changes the tone quite a lot more than I expected.

Ditchgator, johnnymg and carolinaeasy like this.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

I noticed the attack dynamics were much better than I expected them to be.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

3. carolinaeasy

I am going to tinker with it tonight and see if I can get a nice Little Wing tone dialed in.

Lovnmesomestrat and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    That's similar to how I run my Katana. I do add a little bit of the Blues Driver effect to get a very slight edge to the tone. Overall, that tone has a lot of clarity/punch.

I have tried a heavier tone but I suck at that tone............. worse than your average GC hero! :whistling:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I did put the Squier Mini through the rectifier (r-fire = Sneaky amps) with a tube screamer in the boost last week. The guitar sounded way better than my playing. :p

johnnymg and wildhawk like this.

6. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Amazing..

There's a guy on Gear Page that doesn't own a Katana and has developed the floorboard program for it.

Members chipped in so he can buy one.

Lovnmesomestrat and johnnymg like this.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Yeah, brilliant isn't it? He's written stuff for most of the GT range,so he had a head start. The floorboard is looking very interesting and has new features every time I go back to read the next 10 pages.:D

Lovnmesomestrat and johnnymg like this.

8. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Yep, he needs an auto update function. Hard to keep up with the revisions.

Wonder what Roland thinks of his work?

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    envy.gif

wildhawk likes this.

10. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    We'll have to wait and see what comes of the wish list for Tone Studio and software updates that has been sent to Boss. Late summer was suggested as the next update point.

11. carolinaeasy

Now, thanks to this head being freaking awesome, I am scouring the craigslist pages near me for one of the cabinets that always end up on there for cheap, cheap, cheap.

johnnymg, wildhawk and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

12. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

May 15, 2016
    Canada
    Hi

I am thinking to buy Katana as well, but I am not sure if buying 100 or 50 model?

I am a bedroom player and learner, never gig. I know 100w model has more control which seems to be better and I could use 0.5w for bedroom use. But I am wondering if I could 50w setting on 100w model but turn the volume down to use at bedroom? If I use 0.5w all the time, I am wondering if the Katana is wasted for me?

I have Both Gibson Les Paul and Strat. I like to have both Clean sounds for Strat and Marshall like sounds for Les paul. Does Katana have both Clean and Distortion Channels?

Currently I have Yamaha THR10. What do you recommend me to buy, 100w or 50w model?

Thanks, Appreciate it.

13. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    You're following in my footsteps

I too have a THR10 and recently got a Katana 50. I'm also a bedroom/non-gigging player. Had same question and not sure I've quite decided (might still swap) but here are my observations.

Short version - I like the sounds I'm getting. It is quite loud on everything but clean voice. However, even on 50w it's not unmanageable - a lot of big amps go from 0 to deafening at 1 on the volume knob - this isn't like that. The 100 is going to be 3db louder based on wattage, plus some amount because it has a more efficient speaker. Maybe others can share their experiences with this.

One gotcha - the clean is not loud if you want it really clean. On .5w I dime the master and volume; you can comfortably turn the gain up halfway and still converse.

Others here have said that to fix that you have to crack open the software and configure effects to use the clean boost. Haven't done that yet.

This is where I think the 100 might be better - I could configure some presets for this and not have to reconfigure the panel - just two presets is a little limiting. But I'm not sure I really care that much - I'll have to try it for a while. I think the line out and effects loop are also appealing but not sure how important. OTOH the 100 is a bit bigger if your music space is tight.

Good luck with your decision - either option is good.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    carolinaeasy and roudan like this.

14. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    How do you edit when using the app - my phone turned gigging into interference - Doh!

Fixed the previous post.

Last edited: May 3, 2017

15. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Have you tried the hidden amps program to get more clean?

I haven't got around to it but my guess would be replacing the EL34 default with something like the Twin would give more clean volume/headroom.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    roudan likes this.

16. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

May 15, 2016
    Canada
    Hi Wildhawk, you didn't type anything when you replied. What did you want to comment? Thanks

17. roudan

roudan Strat-Talker

May 15, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks GoodGolly. HOw do you compare THR10 to Boss? Do you think it is worth to buy Boss?

From your comment, you suggest Boss 100 model and use 0.5w is fine to use at home. Is it right?

18. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    You can get gobs more clean headroom if you use the 'clean boost' effect via the SW.

wildhawk and GoodGolly like this.

19. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I think you were the guy who told me about this before :).

Sheepishly, I haven't gone to the trouble of setting up my laptop for this, but look forward to getting my panel effects configured how I want them.

I'll probably try out the Twin and JC hidden models too.

johnnymg likes this.

20. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Still evaluating, but I'd say it's worth it. Louder, bigger sound, and different. Not as easy to use; way less portable, so I think the THR still pulls its weight.

I would expect at .5w you'll be able to use the 100 in polite company. It will probably be a little louder at that level than the 50, but IMO that's ok.

roudan likes this.