Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Boss Katana Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    That's the trick.

Today I tried the Sneaky Amps program to see if some of the amp models were louder cleans. Nope.

The clean boost was the ticket.

Messed with some amp models while the laptop was hooked up.

Went back to the default out of the box setup after playing around for a half hour.

Without Tone Studio or 3rd party programs it's still incredible on its own.

Fired up some backing tracks and bedroom jammed for an hour.

Thrup'ny Bit, GoodGolly and johnnymg like this.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I did exactly the same last week when I got my new laptop, I installed the driver and software and tried it out, but I prefer to spend my time playing my guitar not playing with the amp.

carolinaeasy likes this.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

I installed the software and imported the sneakyamps.lsl file. I have a macbook, so it was a pretty easy install and everything worked. I didn't get to play through the amp though, as I was doing this at 11 pm following one of the best Penguin's hockey games I have ever watched as a fan of 25 years. Now today I am praying for rain so I can go home, instead of having a girl's softball game to coach, and test out the "Little Wing" tone I want to build (which is my default tone on any of my amps with a strat, when I use a pedal board, or just modeling setups).

So far, this head has really hit the spot for what I need as a bedroom player who sometimes goes and jams. I'm in the process of getting a band together so if and when that happens I now have an amp that can do all I need. I found that the tone is much better at 100w, but for practical reasons the .5w is just fine as well. I haven't used the 50w setting much more than a cursory experience right out of the box because of the tonal degradation I heard between 100w and 50w. I can't wait to hear what this sounds like through a Marshall cab.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Thrup'ny Bit, johnnymg and wildhawk like this.

4. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I have the 50 a few days.

A) so far, really liking it. Just a big, sweet sound. No messing with software yet. I feel it has opened up (or maybe my ears have).

B) thinking I should swap for the 100 1x12. I would really like line out independent of headphone - miss that on the THR. Effects loop might be nice.

Home users - do you think I'm going to regret moving up? Is it really much louder (I'm guessing not to where the volume controls aren't effective)?

Thanks!

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I haven't used the 50 but I suspect it's pretty close to the 100 in volume. The volume/tone difference might only be noticeable at the very high end of the volume scale. That said, if you're planning on gigging with the Katana then the 100 would very likely have a better chance of pleasing.

Regardless, the IO differences are more definitive. It sort of sounds like you miss some of those features.

carolinaeasy and GoodGolly like this.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    This is love hate products.
    Every other day.
    He loves n hates it.
    Today I was trying to put together something on the simple song Dock of the bay to do at my teacher jam.
    Dialed up some sh!t on the katana dash.
    And
    It worked.
    So come tomorrow...
    We'll see...

7. Djgdgaf

Djgdgaf New Member!

May 8, 2017
    California
    Quick question for the folks who bought the amp in the states. Is it dual voltage? The pictures on the website show it is but am not sure. Thank you

8. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My 50 says 117v 50/60Hz, so you could run it on a transformer, but it's not switchable.

Djgdgaf and johnnymg like this.

9. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    So:
    Did a gigette with the 100 head
    Wasn't exactly close to the amp...
    Button #4 had some wah dialed in...
    Part way through I kinda thought "NOT", just now n then.
    Will that foot switch give give me that?

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The footswitch has an "effects" toggle switch. Once that "effects" switch is pushed the other 5 buttons/switches on the footswitch control a unique effect which can be turned on/off by those individual switches. Pressing the "effects" switch again reverts the footswitch back to normal channel control mode.

You could setup any of the 4 channels to have wah and then toggle the wah on/off by hitting the "effects" button and then the appropriate button that has the wah.

At 1:44 in this vid the guy has the "effects" button switched ON (rightmost button) and then does an effects change via one of the other buttons. He does a series of effects changes.

NOTE: This video shows the GA-FC with the KATANA specific stickers applied.

Last edited: May 19, 2017

11. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I'm getting the Boss Katana 50 delivered today.. How does it sound with an acoustic guitar? Would it work well for small gigs?

johnnymg likes this.

12. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Used it with both acoustic guitars and mandolins at gigs and it did fine.

Another Katana bonus is that totally clean channel others don't offer.

Acoustic players over on the long Katana thread at The Gear Page echo my thought that it works really well.

Electric players can run a multifx unit though the clean channel and not worry about the amp adding color. A powered monitor if you will.

On a quick note why is there a standby switch on a solidstate amp?

On a tube amp not only does it extend the life of those glass bottles but stops the hiss that continues if you have the amp gain up even with the guitar volume zeroed.

You don't have to turn the amp volume knob down between sets with the Katana. Just switch to standby like a tube amp.

GoodGolly and johnnymg like this.

13. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    One thing to keep in mind...

The 100 is a $400 with footswitch.

The 50 is a little over $200.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

^^ This. I don't spend more money than I need too.

I don't need bells, whistles or multiple channels, just a nice amp with usable volumes, that I can use at home and playing out if required. As a band, we abandoned 100 watt stacks and ear-splitting stage volumes before 1990, when we got our own PA system.

wildhawk likes this.

15. carolinaeasy

Yesterday my GA-FC arrived from Adorama. The first noticeable thing was the heft and solid construction of the GA-FC. It feels solid and substantial, which means squat if the controller sucks, but thankfully it does not. I hooked the controller up to the 100w head and started tinkering. It will make playing much easier, as I can now switch tones, or pedals on and off rather quickly, and I liked that feature a lot. I would suggest getting a GA-FC to anyone on the fence about buying one. The two hours I played last night were a blast thanks to that little controller.

Now it is on to gumtown's floorboard editor tonight.

16. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Curious if you've tried the Sneaky Amps yet?

Haven't been able to spend much time with it. Kat owners on The Gear Page have been praising it since release.

17. carolinaeasy

My first dalliance into the sneaky amps was last night. I didn't have the time, nor the mental resolve to dig too deeply. I have a sense of urgency to play right now with my stand-in appearance Saturday night, so I simply set up a twin with a tubescreamer and some slight delay and verb. I will tweak it a tad this afternoon when I get home, but until next week I am looking to play and be ready to go for the gig.

wildhawk likes this.

18. wildhawk

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Just remember to set everything as close to gig volume as you can.

Too many people think bedroom tone settings sound the same at gigs.

Let us know how it works out.

kchurch and BallisticSquid like this.

19. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    For sure!! I can't say how many times I've created a patch on my GT-100 and found it to sound terrible at a gig or with the full band. Volume is part of it...how the tone fits in with the other instruments in the band is the other part.

20. jstallings

jstallings Strat-Talk Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Count me in the club! I sold my Blues Jr. and bought a Katana 50...and ended up with $165 left over! Win-win! I've had the Katana for about 10 days and I love it! Wonderful range of sounds and it feels surprisingly "tubey". I haven't had a solid state amp in 7 years and this one is leaps and bounds ahead of all my previous SS amps.

GoodGolly, johnnymg and wildhawk like this.