Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Breaking in speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by gerlach1995, May 28, 2014.

1. gerlach1995

gerlach1995 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Coleraine MN
    I keep hearing about people who cant wait to hear what their new speaker will sound like once it is broken in.
    Is there a quick way to break in a speaker without damaging it?

2. Strato67

Strato67 Former Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Texas
    Get the bass player to play through it....

3. gerlach1995

gerlach1995 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Coleraine MN
    So just a bass guitar or the speaker in a bass amp?

4. premgem

premgem Senior Stratmaster

Jun 5, 2011
    San Antonio
    A regular paper cone speaker should only need about 8-10 hours of playing time to get broken in.

I normally record a 10 minute loop with different frequencies, ie single bass notes, cowboy chords, barre chords, etc. Then I play the loop back through the amp.
    You want to start with a low volume for say an hour and then gradually increase the volume every hour. I wouldn't play an ipod or stereo through the speaker cause I don't think amp speakers are made for that full frequency. JMO

The-Kid likes this.

5. Tim Z

Tim Z Strat-O-Master

Feb 3, 2012
    Victoria BC, Canada
    There's nothing better than just playing it. It doesn't take long. Don't be impatient. Just play it and a day or two later it will be broken in ;)

6. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    +1
    absolutely! and you enjoy playing the new guitar speaker as it gets better and better.

All the best,
    Robin

7. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay
    There are exceptions to the time frame for breaking in a speaker.

Hemp cones.

They are more stiff than other cone materials and will take longer to fully break them in.

Rastus and thomquietwolf like this.

8. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Old chestnut time...rather than start a new one and get admonished for not searching out an old one. Granted I just grabbed the first one on the list that came up...

I've three speakers (a reconed Oxford, a Red Fang, and a Swamp Thang) to break in and I really didn't want to wait. So I've connected them to a PA amplifier which in turn is connected to my itunes file and ...

their cabinets have been placed in my state-of-art sound room (a bathroom in the interior of the house with a towel stuffed under, and a heavy comforter tacked up over, the door) where they have been fed a steady diet of all the stuff I like to listen to...at stage volume...per each speaker.

The Oxford is a 22 watt-er, the Red Fang a 50 and the Swamp thing weighs in at a respectable 150. The PA amp is only 100, and needless to say that there is a mixer involved so as not to create the need to recone anything (again).

Right now they are hip deep in the entire Beatles catalog. Next up is The Stones, timed for when spouse comes home from work (Mick, even though he's turning 103 this month [btw, happy belated 78th Ringo!] makes spouse sweat and develop "bedroom eyes"...I don't ask), and tomorrow is Joe Pass with a touch of Leroy Vinnegar and Esperanza Spaulding (gots to throw in a lot of low end to properly break in a speaker...)

The neighbors do not suspect a thing!

The-Kid likes this.

9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-O-Master

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I just turn my amp's bass control up slightly if the speaker isn't broken in yet.

10. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    There is a cd you can buy called ear candy. It’s set at the right frequencies to break speakers in right.

11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    @Robins knows

12. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I just hope the op didn't hand over his new speaker to his bass player.
    Sheeesh!

rolandson likes this.

13. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    As above, give yourself at least couple of weeks, at 1-hour a day's playing to hear them open & warm up.

The larger the magnet, is usually indicative of the strength of what's called the "spider"...It's this component that's dipped into a liquid resin at manufacture that has to fracture & free up, to allow all those tones to come to life.

Cheers,

Rastus

NB. Opening the volume right-up from the word go shouldn't hurt anything either, only speed the process up.

rolandson and The-Kid like this.

14. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    This...
    Essntially plat it loud.

No matter how much you play. If your not playing loud they will never break in

Rastus likes this.

15. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

As much as i would love to put in the time bonding with a new speaker...I have three to deal with.

And...I'm too old to become existential with them, or the process, as much fun as it used to be. I would rather just get it over with and put them to use.

I'm happy to let John, Paul, George, Ringo, Mick, Mick, Keith, Ron, Brian, Leroy, Ron, Esperanza, and Duke get it started for me. They can provide as broad a range of frequencies as i need in the shortest amount of time.

Rastus likes this.

16. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    I like running a YouTube playlist of isolated guitar tracks from my computer

17. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Strat-O-Master

May 11, 2018
    Illinois

18. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

just play them, you wont even notice when they are broken in. but in a couple of weeks you can say you broke them in. so there is that.

there is a difference between a fresh speaker and a well used speaker, but the change will happen so gradually you wont really notice it.

so just have at it. enjoy playing, and leave the internet to worry about the things the internet worries about.

19. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    `
    Hear Hear!

I start off playing mine at various levels, then crank the distortion for awhile, then back to various levels, then some more distortion.

Different speakers react differently, but I usually notice some smoothing out within a week or so. Either way, the overall character should remain essentially the same...

`

20. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I’m with the just play it crowd, that’s the fun of it.

AxemanVR, dante1963 and Triple Jim like this.