Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Bridge Height

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by AndyJ, May 19, 2011.

1. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

I have a two point trem on my deluxe strat but it has been playing havoc with my double stop bends and in fact any bends involving more than one string.
    As an experiment I stuck a wooden block behind the trem block and it had the desired effect of keeping strings at the right pitch.
    As the tremolo block is angled in this guitar, cutting a wedge accurately to keep the bridge height at the 1/8 inch height Fender recommend is pretty tricky. My prototype block manages to achieve this, just about. However, until I cut the perfect block how accurate does that 1/8 inch gap have to be. Will being out by a couple of millimetres have a huge effect on setting the guitar up well?

2. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

fender recommends that gap for floating the trem, otherwise you can deck the trem on the body like this

[​IMG]

3. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

just put in tremol-no. that way you can have the lock and float it when you want to.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

I like the look of the tremol-no. However I have to set my claw at an angle to get the right bridge height for floating and the tremol-no needs its claw set straight.
    Then again I rarely use the trem and when I do it is usually for chord vibrato, none of your fancy Jeff Beck stuff for me.
    Any other thoughts before I spend?

6. louis cyfer

you do not have to set your claw at an angle to get the right bridge height for floating.

7. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but to get the distance between the bottom of the rear of the bridge and the face of the guitar body uniformly 1/8 inch I've adjusted the claw screws. By doing this I've ended up with the claw at an angle.
    Am I missing something here?

8. louis cyfer

obviously. you can achieve that with a straight claw. you might benefit from a good tech.

9. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

Really, unfortunately I don't know any techs and so far had to make all adjustments myself, successfully so far. Given the criteria I have listed above what could cause me to have this problem. If indeed it is a problem.

10. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

11. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like your floating kind of high in the front of the bridge at the pivot screws. What is the action on the two e strings?

Maybe you could add some springs or change to tighter wound springs, pretty sure that will diminish the angle some at least.

12. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

Yeah, the bridge does angle down toward the neck. But as my whole intention is to stop the bridge pulling up when I bend strings I think I'll take your advice and add a couple of springs and see if that helps. Certainly the cheapest and least invasive option to start with.

13. louis cyfer

if you tighten one side of the claw and loosen the other, you will float exactly at that same measurement. as far as setting it up successfully, you wouldn't know that unless it was setup by a good tech and found out what that feels like.

14. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

Good point about the tech maybe I should try and find one. Tricky as I live in a small town on the south coast of the UK.
    In the meantime I'll try the adjustment you suggest before I install any more springs.
    Thanks.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You can add or subtract trem springs and you can angle them and you can adjust the height of those posts as well. Just keep playing with it. You'll get it.

16. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

Took Louis Cyfer's advice. In about 3 minutes my claw was straight and the bridge was floating at the correct height.
    Sometimes you have to listen and have faith. Thanks LC.
    Just ordered the Tremel-no.
    Can't wait.

17. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

I'm curious why you didn't do this in the first place, I was under the impression you tried but couldn't get it even. Anyway, glad to see you figured it out thanks to Louis' help.

You should read up on how to set up, I still think the to bridge height screws look a little high too.

18. AndyJ

AndyJ Strat-Talker

Simple fact is when I changed from 9s to 10s the bridge went way out. The trem on my guitar is very sensitive. I knew that I had to play with the claw screws to sort it. I think I was a bit heavy handed rather than taking my time. I ended up with the claw at an angle and assumed quite incorrectly that that was the way it must work. If I'd thought about it for a bit, rather than being overly eager to get the intonation right so I could get on with playing the guitar maybe I would have worked it out. The fact is the guitar played beautifully. I assumed I'd done it right. After all assumption is the mother of all f### ups.
    You live and learn.

Last edited: May 22, 2011