Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Bridge issue???

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by NewStrings, Oct 12, 2018.

1. NewStrings

NewStrings Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 25, 2014
    Summerside, PEI Canada
    Ok, I am a relative newbie, but I think there may be a problem with my new American Professional bridge. Does this look normal? Should it be sitting this high up or is there something that needs adjusting? Plays fine but looks weird. I was going to adjust the 2 screws in front --- I suspect that is what they are there for, but before I mess around with anything, I thought it best to consult the experts on this forum.

[​IMG]image uploading site

CigBurn likes this.
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    The spring claw in the back of the body needs to be adjusted. How many springs are there now?

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Don't touch the screws on the front. You need to take off the backplate to adjust the trem claw.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Btw would you like to have the bridge floating? If not just put all springs on and screw the spring claw just enough so the bridge plate is flat to the surface of the body.

5. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    It looks a slight bit higher than average, but I have seen players like them like that. But indeed as has already been mentioned, remove the trem cavity and screw in the claw (both screws) the same amount. start off with about two turns clockwise and see where you are. Be sure to detune a bit before hand. Make your adjustment and retune. If you do not care about having your trem having the ability to pitch up, just add two more springs and "deck" it. I find it increases tuning stability.

6. nadzab

nadzab So many guitars, so little time... Strat-Talk Supporter

Since this is a new Strat (very nice one, by the way) I suspect you've got 3 springs back there. Personally I'd start by adding a spring, because it looks like you'd need to bring the claw screws way in to get the bridge to where I'd like it - but that's just my preference, I like a float of only about 1/8 between body and bridge. I've found (assuming it's not my imagination) that adjusting the claw screws vs. changing the number/configuration of springs results in a different feel, depending on the particular guitar...you have to experiment a bit to find what suits you.

Tim S likes this.
  7. NewStrings

NewStrings Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 25, 2014
    Summerside, PEI Canada
    Thank-you all so much!!!! Great information and advice and it worked!!! A couple of turns of the claw screws and it now sits lower and looks so much better (and even plays better I think!) That is why I come here first and I must say, this is by far the best guitar forum out there!!!! Here is the "after" to show the difference:

[​IMG]

8. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    Great news. Every new owner needs to read the manual on Strats cause they aren’t exactly simple to adjust if never done before. Looks good now!

9. Seekir

Seekir Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2015
    Hilo, Hawaii
    That trem plate looked WAY too high in the first photo before you tightened the claw springs. Hard to believe someone deliberately set it up that way. The two posts should be set only high enough to allow the trem-plate to rock without its leading edge contacting the guitar body. You'll probably need to set the saddle heights and check the intonation now if you haven't done that already.

10. Athanasios

Athanasios Strat-O-Master

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    My guitar when i got it had the perfect heigbt
    After streching string the bridge went sky high

I hate the loose trussrod and unstreched strings on out the box guitars

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It's a slightly different level of guitar though.

12. Athanasios

Athanasios Strat-O-Master

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    Slightly???? :p

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  13. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland
    Some say decked bridges increase tuning stability. Some say floating bridges increase tuning stability. Your choice...

NewStrings likes this.