Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Bridge suddenly floating ?!?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Peterquelle, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Strat-Talk Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Austria
    Hi,

I have a Classic 60 Laqcuer Strat with a vintage style 6-Point tremolo. I never changed anything on this guitar because it was perfectly set up the way I bought it (used). The bridge was always decked. Or at least there was never a gap between the bridge and the body.
    Now the guitar was hanging on the wall for a while cause I played my other guitars more often. When I play it now it always sound out of tune, or if a chorus effect is on. I noticed the the bridge is now floating and the intonation is way off. I can now bend up a major third with the trem bar.... thats how far its off the body. I changed nothing on the guitar.
    What do I have to do ? Just tighten the claw ? I dont want to have the trem floating cause I almost never use it. Should I block it ? How do I do that ?

Regards.
    Peterquelle

2. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Just tighten the claw until it's decked again.

3. kevin54

kevin54 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2014
    Dorset, England
    Same happened to my MIM 70's series Strat. Not sure for what reason, but as @Cerb said , just screw the claw back in. Bridge should be around 1/8 of an inch above the body.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Not if it's decked. It needs to be flush and not lifting with string bends.

alainvey, ocean and Cerb like this.

5. kevin54

kevin54 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2014
    Dorset, England
    I agree with you, but I thought he wanted the bridge floating. Must have misunderstood what the op wanted to do.:thumb:

Nate D and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

6. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Five springs, tighten the claw. That'll do you. :)

Ebidis likes this.

7. ricksandteles

ricksandteles Strat-Talk Member

May 4, 2011
    Minnesota
    Replace your springs, check your truss rod also, if your springs are weak they will continue to stretch even if you tighten the claw.

8. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    that is wild. in all the years ive owned strats nothing like that has ever happened.

fezz parka likes this.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Me either. Maybe we're doing something wrong?

:p

fezz parka likes this.

10. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Sounds like the springs are worn out. I would replace them.. They are pretty cheap anyway. You'll have to loosen the claw to out new ones on then just tighten it until it's decked again.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

I have springs 40 years old, they're not worn out, 2 are in my CP50s. I'm more inclined to wonder if the screws holding the claw have slipped / been pulled out, due to shrinkage in the body.

fezz parka and Bodean like this.

12. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    I thought about that but what if he only has like two springs on it?

I was hoping at least it wasn't the other cause that would be a much worse scenario in my opinion.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Two springs and decked? That would definitely be optimistic.

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Check for evil in the area. I spent an entire summer adjusting my brother's alarm clock slightly every day so that it would appear to gain or loose time. If he had a Strat back then, I guarantee many mysterious things would have gone on...:sneaky:

Is there supposed to be a significant tonal difference between decking and blocking? I decked mine for a while and then I blocked it with post-it notes for a while, just to see what it was like. I couldn't tell any difference in the sound...

15. Thrup'ny Bit

Perhaps it wasn't decked, but blocked with a piece of cheese?

Bodean likes this.

16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Heaven forbid. I've been blocked by cheese before. :confused:

17. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Good catch. I've been thinking of decking mine.

Do you prefer redwood? Or go cheap with a stained pine?

18. Thrup'ny Bit

When I have a great idea of something to do with/to my guitar, I go and have a Guinness or two, until I forget what it was.

Bodean, StillAlive&Well and nederemer like this.

19. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Strat-Talk Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Austria
    Thank you for the answers. Just FYI - it was not blocked with cheese.
    I have three springs in it. I tightened the claw again. Its now like it was before I guess. Not quite decked, but just a very small gap. I will get two more springs soon.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

20. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I suspect you are strangely close to the truth, in that the variable in this is the material holding the bridge plate against the body. @Peterquelle has just confirmed that to be three springs. If the temperature of those springs goes up or down, it will affect the amount of tension they exert on the plate. The same is true of the six strings, of course. There is no necessary reason to suppose that the affect on the springs and the strings is the same!

Yesterday, I picked up my rock-solid partso for the first time in a few days and noticed that the pitch was flat across all six strings. The bridge plate is set to float on that guitar, and the room is colder than it was now that winter has finally hit. Therefore, I conclude that the affect of contraction in the springs is not as great it is in the strings, so the bridge plate has lifted away from the body a little more. This also affects intonation to some extent, of course.

It's plain physics in the end. No mystical forces required.

@Peterquelle is it snowing where you are?