Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Bridge suddenly floating ?!?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Peterquelle, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Strat-Talk Member

Sep 15, 2013
    No its not snowing. But at night its freezing for sure. Of course not in the house. But its certainly a lot colder than in summer in the room.
    simoncroft likes this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

The springs in my '65 are 52 years in service. They don't wear out. Another wonderful bit of internet folklore. :)

To the OP: fluctuating temperatures, settling components and inactivity all played a part in this.
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    when i first started playing guitar i would jam with my dad, and every chance he got he would detune one or two of my strings. used to piss me off, but i got good at tuning, lol.

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Indeed. On a theoretical level, there are a number of factors that would say the springs in the back of a Strat fatigue and lose elasticity, over the years. However, unless you gear these concepts up until you are talking about the suspension in a vehicle, they have almost no practical impact.

Think about the springs in a car's suspension: when the car is in motion, they are constantly at work, but when the car is at rest, they support tons of weight. This effects their performance over the years. Of course, the springs in the back of a Strat are much smaller, but they have a relatively easy life.

Now, imagine you are selling an otherwise all-original early Fender Stratocaster, and you add the killer line: "Potential purchasers need not worry, because I swapped out all the trem springs for new ones last week..." Well, that will up the sale value! If the original springs in a 1954 Strat are still just fine, you can safely assume they don't age on any time-scale we mortals need worry about.

If you're decking your bridge, why not use all five springs? It will make temperature-based fluctuations less noticeable, as each individual spring will need to exert less pull.
    fezz parka likes this.

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    I noticed the same thing here yesterday with the exception that my bridge is normally decked. It didn't get above 20 outside, all day long, and my guitar stand is near a window. I also wondered what was going on, which is why I opened this thread.
    simoncroft and ocean like this.