Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Bullet Strat neck thickness

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by gilpi, Dec 30, 2017.

1. gilpi

gilpi Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2017
    usa
    Recently acquired a 2006 Bullet Strat and I'm wondering if they are all built with such a thin neck? After decades of playing acoustics, I thought I'd try an electric. Can't get over the comfort level of this Bullet but most Fenders and Squier Strats I've seen have thicker necks. BTW I'm referring to thickness or depth not width.

2. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    I have no found a noticeable difference on my bullet compared to my mim, seem very similar to me

3. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    These are some neck profiles of my different Strats @ 1st and 12th fret. My Bullet is the thinnest (slightly) of my small Strat herd. Surprisingly, my CV Strat neck is the beefiest.

2012 MIM
    .825 .875

2010 Squier CV 60
    .847 .930

2016 Squier Bullet
    .810 .868

2014 Am Std
    .834. .886

In a weird twist............ my two Squiers are my favorites of the Strats I own. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Nate D likes this.

4. gilpi

gilpi Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2017
    usa
    Not only the neck but the body is thinner as well. Taking a caliper and measuring from the fretboard (next to the nut) to the back of the neck, is .850" just under 7/8 of an inch and body is just around 1.400" a little less than 1 7/16 of an inch.

5. gilpi

gilpi Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2017
    usa

Aha! Good information, thanks. I thought I had a fluke. Can't get over how comfy this guitar is. Thanks!

6. gilpi

gilpi Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2017
    usa
    Just curious... may I ask why? Is it sound, feel?

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    A combo of reasons:
    • CV: I really like the tone of the pups in my CV. Best tone of my collection. They are clear but not thin/spiky. They also have the best classic quack I've heard. Plus I love the beefy neck. Additionally, the guitar fit/finish is absolutely superb.
    • Bullet: I really like the thinner body. After changing the tuners there really isn't anything I would upgrade on the guitar. I enjoy its 'fighting above its weight class' mojo.
    Maybe I'm just an anti cork-sniffer at heart. :thumb:

brians, jjudas and gilpi like this.

8. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I don’t think that’s weird at all. There are great guitars out there and when you find one (or two!) it doesn’t matter what it says on the headstock. :)

jjudas and johnnymg like this.

9. brians

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    I agree on the bullet, tuners on mine seem ok for now, however they are 9 years old but it was not used so maybe they will give problems in the future and if so I will change them, the only thing I might change now is the selector switch which is noisy and feels loose compared to my other fender, unless someone has a solution for this, maybe it's dust but it crackles when changing pick ups ?

johnnymg likes this.

10. brians

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Didn't mean to change the topic, back to thickness , having another look, it's strange because the bullet looks wider and thicker than the mim, but I measured and they are the same, I think it's an optical thing because of the Rosewood board. 1514711148238.jpg

11. brians

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Here's another angle, very deceptive... 1514711488713.jpg