Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Buying my First Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by StarChild, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:12 AM.

1. StarChild

StarChild New Member!

Feb 11, 2018
    pOLAND
    Hey there,
    I've been playing guitar for about a year, I started out on an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute, But I've always wanted to have both Strat and LP, so now I'm looking into buying one.

I've ordered this MIM strat https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-standard-stratocaster-plus-top-m-n-aged-cherry-burst-0144612531 to my local store
    I'm not obliged to purchase it though so if you happen to change my mind I can still purchase another guitar.

so here is where I'm looking for additional opinions whether I should buy it or get something else
    My budget is pretty wide it can go all the way to the American Elite, but I won't lie it would have a pretty big impact on my finances, still if I will get a good reason that path is not closed to me
    I opted for this strat because of the fact that I've heard that MIM are very good for the money, and quite frankly because I really like the look of it, but maybe there are options that I haven't looked into that I should also consider.

If I did make a good choice though is there anything that I should do to it to make it better? I heard that it is quite common for people to change tuning mechanism on their MIM Strats, but maybe the standard ones are good enough.

What it all basically boils down to is that I'm a beginner and I have a limited knowledge about guitars and Strats especially so I would really appreciate if you could help me avoid making some rookie mistake.

As you can probably tell English is not my first language so if you have any doubts about something that I have written just tell me so and I will try to clarify what I meant.

Edit. I hope that the links to Andertons work fine

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:45 AM
    arcticstrat, tery and Yaralag like this.

2. shupe13

shupe13 Strat-O-Master

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I have only owned MIM Fenders. Strats, Teles, Jazzmasters and I have no complaints. I have also owned Squier CVs and again no complaints.

Yaralag likes this.

3. Kstu

Kstu Strat-Talker

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Welcome aboard. I think you picked a fine instrument and for now would not change a thing and just swap it for another if you so choose after a while.

Yaralag and TangerineDog like this.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Links to the Fender site don't work outside your own country, so I have no idea what you've ordered.

Ebidis, Yaralag and shupe13 like this.

5. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Yeah the link doesn't work for me either but like you said MIM Fenders are very good for the money, they are high quality gig worthy workhorse instruments.

Yaralag likes this.

6. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    For those that the link doesn't work...here is what he ordered:

Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top in Aged Cherry Burst

22811-0144612531.jpg

And I might add...a real nice looking guitar.

Don't know for a fact....but I think you will love the guitar...congrats and enjoy...

PS: Your english is better than most of us here in the states...

7. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Welcome @StarChild ! MiM strats are great, and the one you have chosen looks fabulous. I am sure you will be very pleased with it. You don’t have to change anything to make it better, it’s a gigworthy guitar as it is. Just enjoy playing it and getting to know it.

8. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    You picked a great looking strat and if it’s a great player buy it.

Just my two cents though, I would buy used you get more bang for your buck and if you don’t like it you can just sell it and not lose any money, or in some cases make money.

But really if that Guitar is a keeper then you must keep it

arcticstrat, Yaralag and TangerineDog like this.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-Talk Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    They're good enough. What is important is that the guitar is setup properly for the string gauge and strung correctly using a loop and lock technique. People who use the trem bar heavily may benefit from locking tuners but they are not needed by the average player.

arcticstrat and Yaralag like this.

10. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

I say play that guitar as-is and make a quality amp your next big purchase. I burned through way too many guitars simply because my amp sounded like junk. Enjoy the hunt.

11. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-Talker

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA
    If you've been playing for a year, then you're not a beginner especially if you have played a LP. Playing on a Stratocaster will allow you to express your music to another level because Fender makes great guitars.

I wouldn't start with a MIM. When I started playing almost 30 years ago my first electric was $500-600 Fender American Standard Stratocaster. Back in the late 1980's, a $600 Strat is equivalent to a $1K Strat today...especially for a kid who still lives with his parents and no job. I took really good care of that Strat, still have it and still play it. It has all the tuners, tremolo, bridge, etc that I need. I never had to customize or replace anything on it, because it was perfect as is. All I focused on was playing.

So I suggest getting the Elite. It's an amazing model and since you have the funds, then it's affordable. Try out the difference of a low cost guitar versus a high cost guitar. You'll feel the quality and sound. Good luck with your purchase and thanks for sharing!

12. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    My that is an extra pretty Stratocaster :) ... Congratulations !

arcticstrat likes this.

13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Strat-O-Master

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Congrats StarChild, beautiful guitar. As long as it is properly set up you will be hooked and love every bit of it.......

arcticstrat likes this.

14. valor19

valor19 Strat-Talker

Jun 17, 2010
    Alabama
    Nice looking guitar. Sure you will be very happy with it. As other said, play it for a bit through a good amp and then decide if you want to make changes to it. Plenty of people have stock MIM guitars they are quite happy with. Welcome to the Stratocaster family!

arcticstrat likes this.

15. pumpkin

pumpkin Strat-Talk Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Richmond VA
    ... do the obvious thing : have a skilled pro set the guitar up for you. You cannot do it yourself until you learn what to do and why. So your first Strat needs a setup by a pro. Tell him if you do /do not use the tremolo. the setup for the tremolo will be different depending on the answer.

jvin248 and arcticstrat like this.

16. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I don't understand, the link to "Andertons" that StarChild provide works fine for me, in the US of A? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue? Looks like a great guitar! Another vote for proper setup being the key to true bonding and enjoyment!
    Enjoy,
    Gene

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

17. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    the tuners on the mim strats are fine. I have 2 of them and they are completely stock except for the string trees.
    that strat you ordered is awesome.

18. Raimonds

Raimonds Strat-O-Master

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    Congrats, play that thing and dont listen to anyone saying you need to change something on it. Do a proper setup, that is only thing you need.

Ebidis and arcticstrat like this.

19. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Strat-O-Master

Feb 6, 2016
    USA
    Welcome aboard! :) You've selected a fine strat there, excellent choice! I have the exact model myself and have kept it stock. The only thing I've changed has been strings.

Enjoy the ride! ;)

[​IMG]

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

+1 on the pro setup. Have them 'deck the trem' and put the bar away. It's a huge distraction (you'll spend a lot of time on dive bombs, then more time trying to figure out how to keep in tune, and just a lot of fooling around for little gain. Plenty of time later to work that trem). Instead, work on your string bends like BB King or Clapton (he famously 'blocked' his trem).

If you get where you or someone else has convinced you to swap pickups and electronics, buy a second pickguard and load that up and swap out the whole current 'loaded pickguard' to put in a safe place. You'll eventually pine for that original sound. If you do it this way you can just swap back and be there.

arcticstrat likes this.