Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Buzz feiten tuning system

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rottydog, Jan 3, 2018.

1. rottydog

rottydog Strat-Talk Member

Oct 17, 2017
    SG
    Hello would like to know about this tuning system and what is it about? Try search youtube but not explain well.

Looking for anderson guitar and its included this system, anu pros and cons? I can still use clip on tuner for standard tuning i assume? Change strung and retune as usual?

Cheers.

davidKOS likes this.

2. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    A modified nut to move it closer to the first fret, then accurate intonation is set at the bridge which is slightly offset from standard. The tuning to pitch is a slightly different process - it's done with the strings fretted higher up the neck with a standard tuner. Some electronic tuners have a BFTS mode.

All American made Washburns are Buzz Feiten.

davidKOS likes this.

3. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Don’t give us that much credit...

5. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Buzz off...Buzz Feiten

davidKOS and Kosh like this.

6. Kosh

Kosh Strat-Talker

Jan 11, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Waste of money. I had one guitar with the BF system. I didn't notice any difference in regards to intonation.

davidKOS likes this.

7. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I've had to deal with these "sweetened tuning" issues a lot.

Here is the honest, well researched truth (PM me if you want the proof)

1. the guitar is a 12 tone Equal tempered instrument.

It has been for as long as there have been guitars.

It is a compromise tuning system. It is also the one almost all professional musicians agree upon unless your music specifically uses other tunings systems, like Turkish classical music, etc.

This means you get to play in all 12 keys and play chords that sound "good" in all keys.

2. The other side

By using the 12th root of 2 as a basic tuning system, you are not using the natural Pythagorean tuning system that follows the harmonics on your strings.

The Buzz Feiten system, and others that attempt to make certain chords in specific keys sounds better are reverting to other tuning systems than 12TET.

You can make your guitar play more like Mean Tone tuning in A, which is OK for E and D....and F#m and C#m and Bm.

Why? You are tuning the 3rds to sound more like the natural harmonic 3rds, and this makes the chords sound "sweeter" to some people.

Unfortunately, you cannot play in all 12 keys now, as you will get very out-of-tune intervals called "wolf notes".

BOTTOM LINE

You want to play like most people in all 12 keys, stick with the normal system.

You want to play in a handful of keys but the 3rd will be a bit closer to pure tuning, then you need a special way to tune.

I use 12TET happily.

I also play in other tuning systems - on the appropriate instruments.

While we're at it, A440 is OK.

Anyone telling you you need to tune down to some other special spiritual pitch also needs to PM me for the facts.

8. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Strat-O-Master

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I watched a video of a record producer (I can't remember who or what band), And he had tuned a guitar a certain way for Barr chords, a different way for cowboy chords, and yet another way for certain key signatures.

He demonstrated the difference between standard and his preferred tunings, and his methods definitely sounded .....well.....better.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out how so many great recordings were done on regular old guitars in normal tunings.
    Maybe I can figure it out.
    The great guitar sounds were made by great players. Plain and simple.
    Imagine all of the teles, with that original 3 saddle bridge, that made so many great sounds. I'm almost positive that the intonation was probably off on some of them, at least.

It's our job as players to make them sound good.
    Buzz feiten, God bless him for trying to build a better mouse trap.
    I couldn't be bothered tho.

Kosh likes this.