Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Buzz Feiten?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by amstratnut, Feb 25, 2010.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Can this be done with a strat? Isn't it just a compensated nut? Is there more to it? If so how does that affect fretted notes? I do notice some open chords sound better than others with a standard nut. So the idea of a perfectly "in tune" instrument is pretty appealing.

Anyone with experience?

2. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    It is basically a compensated nut from what I have read and seen. I had a Washburn that had the Feiten system and it does work. The only problem I have with the truly intonated guitar is that to my ear, when you use some overdrive or distortion, the overtones sound odd. I like it with clean but not so much with some dirt. I have a bone compensated nut on a telecaster and I also have an Earvana nut (which I have yet to install!!)

3. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Interesting. The overtone stuff is kind of a mystery to me. It makes sense that it would change if you "retune the instrument" correctly. Pianos are techically out of tune because the're even tempered. I guess guitars are too. Non fretted instruments are easier to play in tune I guess, but I'm not gonna start playing fretless guitar anytime soon.

I've heard of earvana, but can't remember exactly what it is. Compenstated nut?

4. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Yes, it's a compensated nut........just don't like the fact that it screws into your nut slot. Looks tacky but who knows, a lot of guys swear by it. It could be my ears but when I use a guitar with the compensated nut and it is nicely intonated and plays in perfect tune, it sounds good when playing clean but something sounds off when distorted. Probably me but that's what I hear........

5. zag1

zag1 Strat-O-Master

Dec 14, 2009
    Washington DC
    The ones (Earvana) with the screws are the "retro-fit ones. They do offer nuts that are direct replacements, and ones they call a drop-in shelf type, that extends slightly toward the first fret.

6. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2010
    Tokyo
    yes

have a read of this thread Suhr Guitars Discussion :: View topic - Buzz Feiten or NOT?

on strats? no. on super strats? yes. I have it on a Suhr standard. no complaints.

I assume you have read this
    How It Works

7. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.

Thanks. I had not read either of those items. The thread gets kinda snippy and off the point huh?

So you can play with your band or other people no problem? The playing with others thing never ocurred to me.

Compensting the bridge, they set the intonation a little different? I kinda thought the harmonic at the 12th fret was the standard. I guess if the nut is comensated then the harmonic will be in a different place. Then how does one play harmonics? I'm a little stupid here. The more I try to explain it to myself the worse it gets.

8. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2010
    Tokyo
    not as bad or as quick as it does here on some threads..... but the topic itself does get heated no matter where you see it brought up. The next Suhr I buy I might get without the BF on it if I order it to my specs. Simply because I am in more of a comfort zone with traditional ways of intonating a guitar and I also have enough confidence in John that a guitar he makes will be way far and above just abut anything else on the market in terms of quality. The FBTS that I do have is set up perfectly. intonation is as good as it could be and havent had to touch it once in the year that I have had it.

no problem

yes

playing wise the same.

I'm a little stupid here. The more I try to explain it to myself the worse it gets.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. ill put it this way the only thing you need to worry about is when using a tuner that it has a setting sweetened for buzz fetin. (peterson).

9. zag1

zag1 Strat-O-Master

Dec 14, 2009
    Washington DC
    Remember some of those older, less expensive guitars that used a piece of fret wire just about a 1/8th inch forward of the nut? Thats what the Buzz Fetin set up reminds me of. Maybe BF was pickin' up where somebody else (back in the day) left off.

10. Stratplar

Stratplar Former Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    If you're wanting to go to a compensated nut I'd highly recommend the Earvana system. I have one installed on my '95 Strat and it's a big plus.

11. Donovan

Donovan Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2009
    NH, USA
    This thread prompted me to go and learn about intonation beyond the basics of the 12th fret fretted vs harmonic saddle adjustment and to learn about nut compensation, which I didn't really understand until about the last hour.

You HAVE to check out this series of extremely well-written articles, if you want to really understand intonation. It explains how nut compensation works in a most kickass manner, beginning with the nature of where our western scale comes from... turns out it is the result of a natural, physical phenomenon. I never knew that, but wondered. I feel smarter now, wooooh!

Anyway... read it!

Ask the Luthier