Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Cab Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by carolinaeasy, Dec 7, 2017.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

My set-up:
    Katana 100w Head running on 50w setting.
    Mojo 1x12 with Celestion V30 8ohm

What I need help with:

I want to add another 1x12 cabinet to the set-up. Can I just order another duplicate? And if I do that, how do I wire it all up? Right now my cabinet has one speaker jack in the back of it. Do I need a different jack? And will I be okay running two 8ohm speakers with an amp head that calls for 8 or 16 ohms?

Sorry if the questions seem rather noobish, but I am a complete noob when it comes to speakers and amps, and reading the information found on the internet is only serving to confuse me a bit more.

2. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I'm not an expert, but I might be able to get you on your way...

TWO 8 Ohm speakers, wired in parallel are 4 Ohms (load);

wired in series = 16 Ohms.

I was just on a site that had pretty good wiring diagrams, when I get a chance I'll see if I can find it and post a link. Meanwhile- we have some extremely knowledgeable folks here that can explain Ohm's law, while eating an apple and thinking about Newton's laws!

ALL the best, Brian

3. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    If the existing cab only has one input then I wouldn't get another one unless you're OK with taking the back off and doing some rewiring.
    Plug in both cabs as-is and the amp will only "see" 4 ohms, so check if it can cope with that. If yes then ok, but if not @Silvercrow has it right that you need your speakers in series.
    If it were me I would think about a 2 x 12 at 8 ohms rated and use that on it's own or 2 x single 12 rated at 16 ohms and sell the existing cab. :D

carolinaeasy likes this.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Just remember that the Katana needs a minimum of 8 ohms.

Robins likes this.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, so I am going to have to buy a 2x12 cab if I want to go 100w.

Thanks