Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Cab Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by carolinaeasy, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:06 AM.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

My set-up:
    Katana 100w Head running on 50w setting.
    Mojo 1x12 with Celestion V30 8ohm

What I need help with:

I want to add another 1x12 cabinet to the set-up. Can I just order another duplicate? And if I do that, how do I wire it all up? Right now my cabinet has one speaker jack in the back of it. Do I need a different jack? And will I be okay running two 8ohm speakers with an amp head that calls for 8 or 16 ohms?

Sorry if the questions seem rather noobish, but I am a complete noob when it comes to speakers and amps, and reading the information found on the internet is only serving to confuse me a bit more.

2. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I'm not an expert, but I might be able to get you on your way...

TWO 8 Ohm speakers, wired in parallel are 4 Ohms (load);

wired in series = 16 Ohms.

I was just on a site that had pretty good wiring diagrams, when I get a chance I'll see if I can find it and post a link. Meanwhile- we have some extremely knowledgeable folks here that can explain Ohm's law, while eating an apple and thinking about Newton's laws!

ALL the best, Brian

3. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    If the existing cab only has one input then I wouldn't get another one unless you're OK with taking the back off and doing some rewiring.
    Plug in both cabs as-is and the amp will only "see" 4 ohms, so check if it can cope with that. If yes then ok, but if not @Silvercrow has it right that you need your speakers in series.
    If it were me I would think about a 2 x 12 at 8 ohms rated and use that on it's own or 2 x single 12 rated at 16 ohms and sell the existing cab. :D

carolinaeasy likes this.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Just remember that the Katana needs a minimum of 8 ohms.

Robins likes this.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, so I am going to have to buy a 2x12 cab if I want to go 100w.

Thanks