Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!!

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by pazman6, Apr 12, 2018.

1. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

Bandlab has completed their plans and Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free to anyone. Great DAW. The free version doesn't include a lot of the plug-in packages and soft synths that the original did, but those still work for previous owners and the DAW itself is excellent. I never used Reaper, but I can't imagine Reaper can touch Sonar for overall features.

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com/

Robins and TheDuck like this.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Great news. This should stop the stream of refugees on the Studio One facebook page. :D

Little joke there, I am happy for those folks how have learned it and use it to be able to continue.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Captain Crapocaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In t'grim North
    I've used both, I find Reaper is better.

Omar likes this.

4. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    I've used both and preferred Sonar/cakewalk enough that I paid for it. This is very good news.

5. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 11, 2014
    At Home
    Studio One is a great program with really really good plugins included too; I have used Cakewalk too for quite awhile and enjoyed using it, however, my personal opinion is Studio One is the better one for my needs.

Presonus also has a free Studio One 3 version. @Dadocaster are you a S1 user too?

LMSS

6. Dadocaster

I have used Artist for a long while and finally spent the money for support for 3rd party plugins. It does what I want and it's just about the only DAW I could manage to make work. :D

Have had some of my bedroom recorded stuff mixed by pros and they have had no problem with the quality of my simple tracks.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Captain Crapocaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In t'grim North
    I paid for Sonar before Reaper and Cakewalk Pro Audio before that.

8. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    My first DAW was Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro.
    Man, that was a loooooong time ago :(

If I werent so heavily vested in Pro Tools, I might consider going back.

amagras, pazman6 and LeicaBoss like this.

9. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

Guitar Tracks Pro was also my first DAW - I would guess early to mid 2000's. Used the stereo line in on the sound card for my interface. GT Pro led to a half dozen of $49 or $99 upgrades over the years to end up on their top level DAW. Much of the benefit of the upper tier Cakewalk stuff was the plugin collections and softsynths that were included. (Addictive Drums, Melodyne, Sonitus, Nomad, Z3TA+, Dimension PRo, Rarture, True Pianos, Overloud TH3, Amplitude, GuitarRig, etc)

TheDuck likes this.

10. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Hmm....I'm going to look in to this. Hell....What am I saying, I can't even figure out how to use Reaper!

11. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Use Reaper, have the M T Power Pro Drum kit plugin (when it was free) and am comfortable with it. But I'll give Cakewalk a shot.

12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    I just downloaded reaper yesterday. Like it a lot so far. Have you found and free plugins that are good for it? The stock reverbs seem pretty good so far.

13. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

I installed the bandlab version of sonar a week or two ago and it seems to run much quicker than the Cakewalk install. Same program. Last weekend it said it had 5 new programs to install. It installed stuff I already had from the cakewalk side, so not sure if bandlab version only members get the same stuff. The new download included

• Studio Instruments Suite
    • Drum Replacer
    • Melodyne (Auto-tune program)
    • Theme Editor

Last edited: May 3, 2018

14. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I installed it, and my only complaint so far is that it pinned itself to the start menu.

Every time I start my machine, it opens itself. Dang annoying to have to close it every time, although I can see if I had a dedicated DAW how it would be a nice shortcut.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Go into sysconfig and uncheck whatever programs you don’t want to launch automagically in the startup tab.

16. Dadocaster

What in particular makes this an awesome DAW?

17. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Strat-O-Master

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    It's free:)

Robins and pazman6 like this.

18. Dadocaster

I was hoping for technical incentives rather than financial incentives...

19. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    ...and it comes with a pretty nice version of TH3 which is one of my absolute favourite amp sims (I'm in love with Waves PRS SuperModels now)

20. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Strat-O-Master

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Yes, it comes with TH3 (amp sim) which I am learning is pretty knock out.
    The other thing, for me, is that I originally used Cakewalk then Sonar (same thing) and then this. Although everything is in a different place as you learn to use the software it all seems to be in a better place. VST and VST3 plugins. I prefered Virtual Sound Canvas (Softsynth) to TTS so I have imported that. The only downside for me was the dropping of Cakewalks ".ax" effects as the reverb was simple and very good. I find the Sonitus reverb to be pretty "metallic" but have found a TAL reverb that seems pretty ok. Oh, and did I mention that it is free.:)

pazman6 likes this.