Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

calling all mechanics....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by heltershelton, Sep 24, 2018.

1. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    Tell her to pull the headlight fuse and see if it still happens;)

felis, abnormaltoy and Rastus like this.

2. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hey mate,

Once your engine is up-&-running, your alternator powers everything, & also goes about recharging the battery for the next start-up.

Your battery powers the accessories with the ignition on, & no motor running.

Do as the others have mentioned ! Good advice !

Sometimes a loose alternator drive-belt can slip silently when under-load, failing to deliver the goods.

Most cars since the 1980's have a voltage-regulator screwed into the back of the alternator, that often houses spring-loaded brushes, that often wear out, & are a wear & tear item just like tubes in amps...

The voltage regulator is generally an inexpensive part, & shouldn't take too-long to fit-up if found faulty.

I'm saying all-of-this so that she doesn't get caught out by a greedy trades-person, who "may" tell her the whole alternator is "kerput"...Meaning big $$$ to overhaul or replace...

Cheers,

Rastus

abnormaltoy likes this.

3. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    If shes in Fl, you're in Tx, and she doesn't know anything about cars, I wouldnt have her work on electrical. Have her go to a reputable shop after you've given her your diagnosis. That way a pro will fix her up, and you'll come out lokking like the guy with all of the answers.

abnormaltoy likes this.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    thanks for all the replies.

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Too broad of a topic for a simply answer without asking more questions first:
    1) How old is the battery?
    2) How many miles on alternator?
    3) Does she drive long enough distances to fully charge battery, or short hops?
    4) Has battery electrolyte level been checked (if a wet battery)?
    5) Does battery go dead if the car sits a few days?
    And so forth...

felis and abnormaltoy like this.

6. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    she didnt tell me any of that. she has a headlight that wont go back down. she told me shes gonna rewire some stuff.

Strat Jacket and abnormaltoy like this.

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Tell her to get a real car:thumb:

carver likes this.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Are the pop-up headlights controlled by a solenoid or vacuum? If solenoid, that may be the issue.
    If she’s not sure what the issue is, she shouldn’t be rewiring; that’s a great way to not only make the problem worse, but harder to diagnose, too.

9. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    I am handy with a wrench. But when it comes to the electric systems in today's cars, I am lost. The battery in my car would loose charge overnight. I could jump the car, get it started, and the alternator would charge the battery. Drive the car to work, go about my business, and everything is fine. Park the car at night and the next morning the battery would be dead. I thought that I had a bad battery. I replaced the battery and the problem continued. I took it to the Honda dealership and the mechanic found the problem. It was an air conditioner relay switch that failed and caused the battery to discharge overnight. I would have been dollars ahead if I had taken the car to a mechanic with the appropriate diagnostic equipment in the first place.

10. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i have no idea. its a miata with all new wiring......some kind of custom stuff.
    shes pretty handy with stuff like that......she does cyber security for the air force and shes always wiring systems up and doing all kinds of high tech stuff.
    and i think they are sending her back to the big cat litter box in jan for the third time.

Rastus likes this.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Oh, OK. That's different. In your first post it sounded like she didn't know her way around car stuff, but if she can wire up a network she can probably work her way through a car's circuit without any trouble.

Rastus and heltershelton like this.