Join Strat-Talk Today

can i know the default pick ups height?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by drugo, Sep 19, 2018.

1. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

Hi

can i know the default pick ups height neck / middle & brige pickus ?

in the fender page there is only the heigh of a relative pick up

upload_2018-9-19_17-8-58.png

and on another site there is

Bridge pickup
    • Low-E string: 2.5 mm/0.0984"
    • High-E string: 2.0 mm/0.0787"

Middle pickup
    • Low-E string: 3.0 mm/0.1181"
    • High-E string: 2.5 mm/0.0984"

Neck pickup
    • Low-E string: 3.5 mm/0.1378"
    • High-E string: 3.0 mm/0.1181"

if somebody knows , can please tell me the default heights of each pickup ?
    i play a mim standard stratocaster
    thank you

2. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Strat-Talk Member

There isn't any, really.
    Consider the action - those relative distances take into account that some players prefer high action, some low action, and they all get a good starting point with those distances.

But a starting point it is!
    You need to find your own sweet spot, Fender can't know where that is!

Yves, drugo, Omar and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

This ^^^^

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't know why Fender (or any company) even bothers to publish "factory recommended" setup info, because they are all arbitrary BS numbers.

JB1958, Yves, Omar and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

the reason they publish "help" info is to attract "lookers" hoping they will explore the rest of the sites... Marketing 101..

And since they know many labor under some compulsion to have everything "dialed" into some specific metric.. they are happy to supply such, also knowing that most, more seasoned players, know the "numbers" are ONLY a starting point, where a better guitarist can begin getting the guitar setup to their specific likes, and playing technique..

If you're using a ruler to setup your guitar, remember, a ruer makes no tone, cannot feel the action, and cannot Pick a damn thing.

rk

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Yves, Ebidis, mw13068 and 2 others like this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

But Stewmac will sell you a very nice ruler for only $400...

henderman, Yves, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  7. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

nope

drugo likes this.
  8. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Strat-O-Master

I put a capo up high and use a nickel for a spacer gauge between string & magnet poles as a starting point, then adjust from there-it’s better to be a touch low. Always got me very close.

9. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Yep plug in, grab a screw driver and have a play. Experiment and see what you like. Balance out the volume by lowering/raising each side as you prefer. Boost the volume on the bridge if you want by raising it more or adjust them all until the volume is even. You can’t go wrong really.

10. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

There is such a thing as too high, for pickups. That happens when the magnets are pulling the string too much, it causes funky "wolf tones." If you have it too high, you'll probably be able to tell.

There is such a thing as too low, too. If you accidentally lose picks through the space between the pickup and pickguard, you might have your pickup too low. If your pickup falls off the end of the adjuster screw, it might be too low. If you had to route it deeper and now your pickup is rubbing up against the tremolo springs, it might be too low.

As the pickup gets closer to the strings, it gets louder and brighter. Up to a point where it starts getting kind of compressed and then into wolf tones. You probably will find it easier to get pinch harmonics with the pickups quite high. As the pickup gets further from the strings, it gets quieter and warmer.

I suggest as a starting point: fret the highest fret, adjust until 2 nickels just fit between pole piece and low e string; 1 nickel between pickup and high e. Then adjust it by ear. Play it, move it 1/2 turn, play it. Does it sound better or worse? Repeat until you have it sounding best.

drugo likes this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Start with the pickups low, raise the neck until it sounds best (might be just a little above the pickguard), raise the bridge while flipping the switch from one to the other so the bridge has about the same volume output. Then put the switch in 2 or 4 and raise the middle until you get the most acoustic "quack" famous tones.

Different guitar, but the same concepts.

Bonus, Bonamassa on using the volume tone knobs as pedals

12. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

hi
    i have watched several stratocasters on a store (mia and mim ) , and they have almost the same pickups height
    have you noticed it?
    yes i know about the action and the brige setup , but i'm talking about if someone have noticed their height how fender sell their stratocaster

thanks

hi
    nice tip, but rising or lowering the pickup does change the volume only ,doesn't ?
    why do some guitar sound brighter then others with the same pickups?

thanks

13. Rufustelestrat

Drugo,
    If you know the answer why ask. The simple answer is the correct height is what you find pleasing to your ear. I could measure each of my 10 strats and each one is slightly different.
    There is a difference in tone by height, as well as using that knob marked tone. The other thing is each pickup is unique in its characteristics. No two are exactly the same, even if machine wound and machine made. Your ears know what you like, and you hear out of the speaker, and that is what determines how you like them set. SO nope. You have your own quest for the holy grail of height, setup, and sure they all come virtually the same but that is why they are so super adjustable. You get the fun, its like a $2000 puzzle that never ceases to amaze.
    R

drugo likes this.
  14. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

Hi @Rufustelestrat
    may i ask you a question ?
    if i raise the neck pickup , will it increase the volume and the brightness or only the volume?
    thanks Rufus

15. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Raising the pickups increases brightness. And volume. In my experience, to my ears. Try it yourself and see if you agree.

16. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

I set mine to the standard single coil height on the Fender website you have a screen shot of.

17. Rufustelestrat

To me the bridge is designed to sound more like a tele, or that of a steel guitar. The loudness of the pickup seems over powered by the closeness to the bridge. So it is supposed to be loud and cutting. In addition you will notice where you pick or pluck has important implication on how it sounds.
    R

drugo likes this.
  18. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

yes , the bridge pickup it's really very loud and too bright
    are 3 pick up the same?
    do you think that rising the neck pickup will sound brighter?
    thanks

19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

couple of things to keep in mind... closer to the strings . . Higher output, shorter sustain, can interfere with intonation in a manner that cannot be corrected.

Further away from the strings... more "bell like" sound...and no negatives...

the height is a method of "dialing" in the sound for YOUR preference... there are NO correct measurements.... those listed on the website are ONLY a starting point... You pick and adjust from there....

rk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.