Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Can u help identify this strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Tomkat, Nov 10, 2017.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I think it's fair to assume that the neck isn't Fender and the most valuable components are the pickups. On the other hand, a really good fret dress and set-up costs serious money because it takes a lot of time. If the guitar plays really nicely and it sounds really good, well that's a 'players' guitar'. The longer you play the guitar, the less the purchase price matters, because what's $250 spread over years of playing enjoyment? (Mathematical answer: $25 a year to enjoy playing it for 10 years, which is about $2 a month. If you can find a cell phone contract that good, I clearly live in the wrong country.)

Yves, Kester, Vjerilood and 2 others like this.

2. Tomkat

Tomkat Strat-Talk Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Calabasas
    Yes my MIM is a vintage model that has the tbx boost. Ok that explains it. Are you saying the spacing of fender guitars and squiers are the same? If so I am wondering why we did the comparison lol

3. Tomkat

Tomkat Strat-Talk Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Calabasas
    U are 100% correct, I actually needed a players guitar because most of my other guitars are too nice to take out to a bar and play a gig with. I really like the look of the guitar so yes I don’t care about the 250 but of course I was hoping I landed a vintage guitar, oh well

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    nuculer terrist likes this.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    IME they are the same. Most no name brand Chinese counterfeits use a completely wrong spacing. I think this just reinforces the theory that yours is actually a Squier.

5. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    IME, there's some variation. Not sure if it's by year, factory, or the fact that pack guitars are sometimes a bit different than off the wall units. My 08 Indonesian Affinity strat, from a pack, has a small headstock, plastic truss rod insert, and Fender spaced 12th fret markers. My newer, non-pack Chinese Affinity tele has bare wood at the truss rod and slightly wider markers. But neither Fender nor Squier markers are as wide as what is often seen on Chinese fakes.

6. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    That was my main point.

7. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    I know.

If it were a Chinese fake, they'd be anywhere from drive a truck between them to "Help me, I'm falling off the edge of the fingerboard..............":D

Tomkat and Ebidis like this.

8. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    'Hippopotamus eyes'

Ebidis likes this.

9. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

Aug 20, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I like it and, it plays good and sounds good, so keep it and play it....it's nice to have a beater for those funky gigs.

Ebidis likes this.

10. Tomkat

Tomkat Strat-Talk Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Calabasas
    One more thought, since the seller said the neck and body is Japanese would it be possible that is a MIJ Squier? Due to the relic work he did he might have taken off the series number etc but do you know if there is another way to find out if it was a MIJ?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

11. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    It is not a MIJ Squier. It does not match the specs. Even if it was, he sold it as a Fender. Either he was dishonest, or he was duped by someone else, and thought it was real.

12. psallo

psallo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 26, 2012
    Asherville
    The relic job on that neck :eek: o_O:confused::thumbd: