Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Can We Play a Game? (Guitar value game)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Vindibona1, Oct 9, 2017.

Question 1: Which guitar is the $3200 guitar. Question 2: Which guitar costs more?

1. First guitar (for question one)

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Second guitar (for question one)

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. First guitar (for question two)

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  4. Second guitar (for question two)

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Below you will find a recording of two quick clips. One guitar costs $3200 new. I'm not going to tell you which one (yet). So your job is to:
    1) Determine which one is the $3200 guitar
    2) Which is the other and how much do you think it costs? More? Less?

In other words, put a value on the 1st guitar and 2nd guitar, knowing that one of them costs $3200.

To help out and possibly make this a bit more fun I'll attach a poll. I'll provide the answers and unveil which guitars are demonstrated after we get enough replies. I hope you enjoy this little game. Make sure to use good speakers or a good headset. Your iPhone speakers aren't going to give you a true picture.

Edit: Here is the direct link as soundcloud imbeds seem to be broken at this time :mad:. Somehow on S-T it won't even post the link as a simple URL so you'll have to paste it into your browser. Sorry.

soundcloud.com/vindibona1-1/guitara-vs-guitarm

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    "Step right up, there's a sucker born every minute" . . .

3. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    You mean your iphone speakers...because as we all now know, you updated your iOS and have been having nothing but issues ever since...! :p

Paperback Rocker likes this.

4. Vindibona1

I see your point. But the point of the exercise is to quantify what you hear, but with a curve ball thrown in.

5. Vindibona1

Bump. The soundcloud link is broken. So please just past the web URL into a browser page to be taken to soundcloud. Would like to get some participation so I can do the reveal.

6. Vindibona1

I see the results which I find quite interesting. Would you be kind enough to explain what you've heard and why you voted this way?

7. Heartfelt

Heartfelt Strat-Talker

Jun 9, 2013
    UK
    Have to say I'm confused as what this is meant to prove.Both guitars sound good but different. "Value" is something that is difficult to hear. (It would be akin to determining the value of a meal by smell alone)
    I voted for guitar 2 for both questions but if both guitars are new, the true sound of the instruments might not be evident for several years.

stratobiker likes this.

8. Vindibona1

It might be a little confusing. Pick the one you think cost $3200. Then choose which one you think is the more costly one. In other words, one guitar IS $3200, the second guitar could be more, or less money. I'll reveal the point later on. But if you care to peek at the answer, see the link below.

For those who want a peek at the guitars, here's where you can find out which guitar was which. Don't cheat. Answer the questionnaire before peeking.

https://i.imgur.com/0t77wQs.jpg

Admittedly, the question was loaded. I'll share more after a few more responses.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

9. Vindibona1

It's unfortunate that we couldn't have more participants in the survey, but 7 votes illustrates the point. You cannot let brand or price dictate your guitar choices.

As revealed in the photo at https://i.imgur.com/0t77wQs.jpg most of the voters got it right. The second guitar with 6 out of 7 votes was correctly deemed to be the $3200 guitar- a Taylor 614ce. However, 4 out of 7 thought that guitar #1 was the more expensive of the two when in fact I paid $150 for it used. In fact, I don't even like the strings that I have on it, but when I listened to the recording of it I couldn't resist creating a thread, which lead to the poll.

Now in defense of those that deemed the $150 Epiphone to be the more expensive guitar, if you look at the construction, it is very much like Martin D35. I suspect it sounds more like a D28 because of the bracing. It is an amazing guitar, and perhaps the biggest point I was trying to make is how we so undervalue certain instruments because they have a certain brand name.

10. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I would never be able to tell you what guitar costs more/less from audio clips alone. That's like saying listen to these clips and tell me which guitar has a tort pickguard. The price point matters more when you can pick up a guitar and feel the quality of it. And even then there is a point where quality plateaus and aesthetics kick in.

11. Vindibona1

I appreciate your point. But the Epi seems to have it all. Spruce top with solid rosewood back and sides. Rosewood fingerboard and maple binding all around. It is a magnificent instrument. Those MIJ builds are as nice and any production guitar from the US. The point I was trying to make was that you don't have to spend a ton of cash or limit yourself to the Big Three to get a great guitar.

The other thing that I'm thinking about in retrospect is that I'm not seeing this quality acoustic coming out of Japan any more, yet the price that a guitar like this or my Yairis would bring today is so much less than other brands of lesser quality of build and sound.

sam_in_cali likes this.

12. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I thought the first one had a fuller sound, so therefore more expensive.

With acoustics, bass costs more than treble.

13. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I haven't listened to the sound samples, but I think something like this is really subjective. What one thinks is more expensive is probably different than what someone else might say, and for the artist, I think it all comes down to what gives you your preferred sound. The sound that you value more is up to you.

14. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Since tone is in the hands...they should sound the same.

15. kevin54

kevin54 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2014
    Dorset, England
    They have different tones but, I have no idea!

16. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    The 2nd one sounds like it has a lot of mids and they aren't as clear or crisp - to me it sounds like that's a laminate top.....It sounds like my $90 Lyon by Washburn....

EDIT - I see you gave it away - perhaps it was the axis of the mic fooling me....

@Vindibona1

17. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

18. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    For full on strumming, like rhythm guitar, I think I would like the second one.

For single note picking, a la taking a single note lead, I think the first one would be my preference.

They both sound good to me. How much did the other guitar cost? $3100 ;)

19. Vindibona1

Damn... I posted this 6 weeks ago, so I had forgotten which was which. So when I listened to the recording I REALLY liked the first one. Second one in comparison was ok, but hands down I was liking #1. So I peeked at the key [ https://imgur.com/0t77wQs ] and to my surprise I prefered... the 1981 MIJ Epiphone that I got for $150 over the Taylor 614ce that retailed for $3200!

I'm trying to remember which strings were one each guitar and am pretty sure (but not positive) that the Epi had Straight Up Strings, medium tension but I'm not sure about the Taylor and not sure how old each set was.

In fairness to my Taylor, it's since had a couple Tonerite treatments and I've made some string changes (for the moment) and with the right pick sounds utterly fantastic. As a matter of fact, just today I had played these two guitars back to back and the 614 with Elixir 13's sounded way better than the Epi... but the Epi had D'Addario EJ19's which do nothing for this guitar at all.

I'd have to say, the bottom line is that sound-wise, while different, when strung with the best strings for each they are on par with each other. I think that's saying a lot as the difference in cost is exponential.

The second listen 6 weeks later really fooled me. I guess that was the purpose of the game in the first place.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

20. pyronym

pyronym Strat-Talker

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    I think this is an interesting concept I voted against what i thought thinking there was some trick to it. I have 2 guitars that i think would be interesting to do this with