Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Can we talk acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by PorterBelly, Jun 17, 2017.

1. 76Burst

76Burst Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2015
    Funky Town
    Lots of love for Eastman over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum. I made some online purchases based on what I read there and it worked out real well.

2. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talk Member

May 24, 2017
    USA
    I haven't owned or played an acoustic in quite a bit. The last one I owned was a Larivee all-koa parlor which was a nice little guitar I regret selling to make rent. Never played a Bourgeois. (Or a Froggy Bottom, which if its looks and price is any indication is probably something really special.) For me the best acoustics I ever put my hands on were Collings and Santa Cruz, with Collings the better of the two to me, and both in a completely different, higher league from anything Martin can make. I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by any Martin I've played in recent history. Your guitar looks very nice but personally for whatever reason I have never warmed up to Taylors and I've noodled on more than a few at various shops over the years.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

3. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Collings seems to have a "tighter" sound (whatever that means :) , but I'm not a Collings guy. Not my thing. I have a difficult time with many Martins myself. I looked for decades and finally the Martin I settled on was a 1972 D35. I really fell in love with it only after I found that the DR Sunbeam 12 strings were an incredible match for it and really bumped the sound quality up one or two notches.

Now Santa Cruz... I'd agree with you, but I have to wonder if some of the extra mojo of the SC is the strings they put on. The SC strings are made by Roger Siminoff who makes Straight Up Strings, a balanced tension design. I can't find any differences between the SC and SUS strings from a spec standpoint. I've been using the SUS strings on my Taylors and these make my Taylor sing, making Elixirs sound like something to be used only in emergencies :eek:. However, the SUS strings aren't suited well sonically for my Ephiphone. Too bright for that guitar. And the funny thing is, that you'd think that Taylors, being characteristically bright would not sound good with these strings while I thought they would help the Epi which is very Martin-like. So counter-intuitive in practice. The Epi just does well on play 'ol Martin strings.

Guitar0621 likes this.