Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

can you avoid ss amp break out?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by cappei, Jul 22, 2018.

1. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    Im lookin for a mid size gig amp. I don't like tube, they're expensive and something about their cleans dont work for me. I like SS.

But how you can take lets say a Fender Champion 40, and stop the break out at high volumes?

with a higher wattage speaker? lets say 75 or something?

I've reduced my choices between Fender Champion 40 and Mustang II V2 (40 wts).
    Since I travel a lot, I need a small but powerfull amp, that won' break the bank, and will take the punishment of transport.

Nadnitram likes this.

2. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    Boss Katana 50 would be a better choice than the 2 you are considering.

SSJR, YeOldeRocker, PCollen and 4 others like this.

3. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    And to muddy the waters even more, be sure to try a Roland Blues Cube.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    You can get a Mustang III V1/V2 for around $200 and they can be bloody loud and VERY clean. The Fender cleans with these amps is VERY Fendery.

That said, after buying my Kat 100 I no longer used my MIII and eventually sold it. A Kat 50 (at just over $200) would also be a very good option albeit the cleans are a little tricky to set up.

5. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

Curious what you prefer about the BOSS amp over the Mustang.........

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

If you get a Mustang get the old model and get the III. The Mustang II does not have enough clean headroom to play with a drummer. At practice volume the Twin Model sounds like angels but it starts to break up pretty fast as things get louder.

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Several reasons .............. but again IMO:
    The basic and advanced tones in the Kat seem more natural and organic. i.e. less edgy/fizzy.
    The Kat takes pedals very well and the Mustang is just so-so/OK with pedals.
    The parametric tone controls and overall tonal flexibility and effects in the Kat are amazing and way better than the M's

The one big thing going for the Mustang III is the little LCD screen. In a pinch you can do a deep dive into the M without a computer. The Kat needs a computer to get to 95% of amp.

I'm not a mega fanboi on the Boss products. My Kat blew up at 12 months (repaired under warranty) so I have my doubts about the build quality. I think the Kat 50/100 could be a LOT better (for a bit more $'s) and I'm more than little disappointed in the "upgrades" in the Katana Artist.

I really liked my MIII for the Fenderish cleans and there are a couple people on S-T that have posted REALLY great mid-high gain vids using the MIII. Point being, if you have talent you can squeeze out some great tones from the MIII.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    TSims1 likes this.

8. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    The Mustang II needs to be wired via USB to do anything more than very basic editing. There isnt even a midrange knob on the II. Its accesable only through the Fender FUSE software.
    Thats why I recommended the Mustang III, it doesn't need to be tethered to a computer and has a built in LCD screen for editing.

Dont bother with the Champion 40. Seriously, its that bad.

Solid state amps dont like to be pushed too hard. Unlike tube amps, they dont "come to life" when pushed, instead, their tone tends to fall apart.
    This is an unavoidable reality to to SS amps. Even the legendary Roland JC120 suffers from this if you push it hard enough.

To gig with a solid state amp, you'll want at least 100 watts of power, because again, you dont want to push the amp beyond its naturally clean headroom.

SS amps are very affordable, get the best you can afford.

9. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talk Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Midland TX
    Quilter 101 with an Eminence Lil Texas in a Mojo cab sounds pretty dang good...weighs nothing, and can outrun a decent PA sometimes. Inexpensive (compared to my main gig rig) and , well, I’ve used this setup on many a show

Bob the builder likes this.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    If you want PURE cleans,
    I think the Mustang is a horrible choice,
    and the Mustangs are my favorite amp I've ever played. By the fact of their modeling, they emulate breakup on every channel except the "amp sim off" setting, where the sound goes down to almost inaudible.

really, a lot of cheap 90s amps do pure cleans extremely well. That's all they do well.. but they do it well. I had an old fender 2x10 amp that had the best cleans, and the chorus on it was stellar, best I've heard.. but the drive channel was absolute garbage.

You want something that just doesn't simulate breakup, so your choices are limitless.

11. Dadocaster

Hmmm. That makes sense but do you think they are modeling break up on that lovely crystal clean Twin model? I always assumed that my Mushtang II just had to crappy a speaker to do the cleans at loud volumes.

(I keep meaning to test this. I have switching jacks and a cab with an Eminence that can handle more power and is louder. Wish I were motivated enough to tackle this right now but I might just get another cup of coffee and some pie.)

SRF_GRN_STRT and Lovnmesomestrat like this.

12. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I'm pretty sure they're just modeling the breakups, I have the foot pedal version too, and it's the same way through headphones. Pure cleans just aren't possible.

Why they made it that way is beyond my understanding. But I did have a little tiny Randall amp awhile back that was crystal clear, so I'm pretty sure it's just the modeling thing. The Katanas have an acoustic channel, that's one thing the Mustang lacks. And it's the only real fault I can find with that technology. I would love to be able to run my acoustic through the pedal to add a few subtle effects.
    No dice. Especially with an active, boosted acoustic signal, It would sound like a turd.

13. Dadocaster

Son of a gun. That explains it, but it's super annoying. IT'S A TWIN REVERB!! SUPPOSED TO BE CLEAN EVEN WHEN THE VOLUME LEVEL IS KNOCKING BIRDS OUT OF THE SKY!!!

Lovnmesomestrat and nickmsmith like this.

14. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    yep!! Maybe there is some pure clean setting that I'm just missing, though. If anybody knows, please chime in. Would be glad to see.

15. Dadocaster

The irony is that the Twin model, whether on a little Mushtang, a big one or in between, is a gem. That particular model just sings that Fendery song.

nickmsmith likes this.

16. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    FWIW, In my band practice room I have a Fender Champion 40 sitting atop a Peavey Studio Pro 112. Our electric guitar player switches back and forth between them. When I'm playing drums, sometimes I can't hear the Fender Champion 40 all that well (it lacks presence in the live mix) but the Peavey Studio Pro fills the room nicely.

Get a Peavey Studio Pro (red stripe) or just get a bandit and call it good. You'll never find a cheaper, simpler, more versatile amp for practicing and gigs.

And to further drive home the point, I play with another guitarist who brings a Fender DRRI to jams, and he also likes the Peavey because you can get it to crunch (on the lead channel) without pedals and without ear-splitting volume.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    nuculer terrist likes this.

17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I using a front man 212. The od channel sux but the clean with a eq is pretty good. Pick them up used for a little over $100

18. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Exactly. Any old solid state amp that doesn't try to get too fancy with modeling will do the trick.

Bob the builder likes this.

19. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    You don't like tube amp cleans?
    That is my favorite part of owning tube amps. They add so much harmonic content to a clean guitar.

Distortion tones..... any amp can do that. Even a cheap pedal.

It's the clean - edge of breakup- sound that tube amps really come into their own.

circles, rafasounds, davidKOS and 4 others like this.

20. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Sure, a cheap pedal can do it, but who would want to listen to it?
    Good gain tones are difficult to nail, and not every amp can do it. Dont compare a Mesa Rectifier or Engle gain channel to a cheap pedal. Thats just foolish.

Now, you Mustang experts listen up ;)

The "Blackface" setting on the Mustang amps is indeed a "pure" clean.

A retired S-T member @davidKOS use the Blackface setting on a Mustang I for his Jazz gigs, and that amp has an 8" speaker.

I also used the Blackface on my Mustang I and III amps, and both were really good sims of an old Fender clean tube tone.
    Note: The MIII could produce the Blackface clean tone loud enough to vibrate the walls in my studio. I dont think gigging would ever be a problem for that amp.

Some of you need to actually READ the OPs post.
    He doesnt want a tube amp or a huge combo. His reasons are his own, so stop recommending things he already stated he doesnt want.

Ebidis, carver, Strat Jacket and 3 others like this.