Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

can you avoid ss amp break out?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by cappei, Jul 22, 2018.

1. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I am @rocknrollrich, hence the winking smilie.

Im just having some fun with ya :D

2. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    ..or a 100 Watt 1-12 Mustang III V.2 or Mustang GT100 . There are many options that will give you a loud SS amp with no breakup....unless you want breakup.

Ebidis likes this.

3. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    We need some more input from the OP at this point in my opinion.

All the best,
    Robin

4. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    If you Love it Loud and you don't want valves and still want to avoid headroom issues, you need 'the' clean amp. Roland JC-120.

for SS - this is the undisputed king of clean amps, ruling the stages for the last 4 decades. Not expensive either. You would be surprised how cheap they are new - especially compared to a valve twin 2x12

This one's an original series issue. Things have changed a lot electronics-wise, but the linearity is still there.
    I chose this because of the original CE-1 chorus circuit.

it can take a bit to get used to, but once it grows on you, you're not going to let it go.

JC-120_front.jpg

JustABluesGuy, circles, Bera and 2 others like this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It's made by Roland... :D

6. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Do you need a combo or could you do with a head only?

cappei likes this.

7. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    I got me a combo. Since I travel a lot, huge stack is not usefull.

Question remains. Does speakers with more wattage than the produced by the amp, avoid amp break up?

As sad as it sounds, my options are really limited. I could actually buy a semi new car with the money a Boss Katana costs in this country.

I went randall and it's awesome. But still want more Db sensibility and better sound.

Randall comes with jaguar speakes, what ever does this means. As I read somewhere, are something like a Jaguar (by Celestion) ordered by Randall.

circles and Cerb like this.

8. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Ok, you got it sorted then. The reason I asked was that with a modeling head you can have something that weighs 2kg's and fits in a handbag and that you can plug in to any cabinet or PA system where you play or your headphones. No large stack would be necessary.

Regarding the speaker, if what you hear is the speaker breaking up for being pushed beyond it's rated limit or for being low quality, then yes, a different speaker will help. If the break up is from the amp then no speaker will change that.

9. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile

holy moly, HOw do I find out if it is amp or speaker break up

Cerb likes this.

10. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Try plugging into a 4x12 cab and see if it stays clean at loud volumes.

11. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Speaker break up sounds like crap. Try cranking your amp and then roll back the volume on your guitar a bit to see if it cleans up.

12. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

Sep 22, 2016
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Get a Roland Jazz Chorus

cappei and The-Kid like this.

13. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Um this...

Bera and cappei like this.

14. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    I'm old school. If I want a loud and clean SS amp, I'm looking at Peavey. Maybe its different these days, but back when I played through em, you could rip down sheetrock with a wall of clean sound. Wasn't particularly light, nor low-wattage, but kind of like a pickup truck that was purchased to do some hard work.

nuculer terrist likes this.

15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I take back what I said about mustangs not getting super clean. Fiddled around with the fuse software and got a super clean sound that doesn’t overdrive, even when I play hard with humbuckers. I think it’s the twin reverb model.

16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    A couple years ago, I decided to sell my Fender Twin '65 Reissue amp (although I liked it, I thought it was just too big, heavy, and loud for what I really needed). I found a Mustang III v2 amp and thought it was a great idea for an amp (modeling, to sound like various other amps), and also it was smaller, lighter, and much cheaper. I wished I would have bought one of those instead of the Twin, as I would have saved a good chunk of money. I got my Mustang III v2 just before the new Mustang line came out, but I like it.

I've heard good things about the Boss Katana amps, and I wish I would have done maybe a little more research before I bought my Mustang amp, but I'm happy with it. I basically just wanted something that sounded similar to my Fender Twin but not so big & heavy. And I like that you can tweak its sound, and that it's solid-state (won't have to worry about changing tubes).

johnnymg and nickmsmith like this.

17. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I’ve played a katana amp too, it’s comparable, IMO. Katana is way simpler to use.
    But I am perfectly happy with my mustang amp and mustang floor pedal. Don’t need to upgrade, really.

The differences weren’t enough for me to want to drop 200+ bucks for it.
    And I’ve heard mostly bad things about the new mustang gt models... though I’m not sure if that’s from people who haven’t put in appropriate time to edit sounds. I think the stock sounds on the mustang were horrible.

johnnymg and CalicoSkies like this.

18. MrYeats

MrYeats Strat-O-Master

Jan 31, 2016
    Texas Coast
    I will say it in 3 words. Peavey, Peavey, Peavey.

19. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Ccapei I honestly feel your better off on investing on a Roland Cube or Vacetronix.

Try a Katana but I feel the Roland or Vox will get you just what you want 40 watrs and up and your good.

250$ tops go used and your set

20. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    OP already got an amp, he's now enquiring about speakers.