Join Strat-Talk Today

Can you guys help me with my les paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Gino753, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Gino753

Gino753 Strat-Talk Member

i have a 2017 Gibson les paul traditional.I check the relief by capoing the first fret and fretting the last fret, and measuring from the 8th to the 12th fret, and i have .005 less relief on the low E string, is this normal? Also i included some pictures, the headstock seems to be twisted down to the left?

Attached Files:

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

How does it play ? Any buzzing strings ? Does it choke out anywhere ? Are the frets level and in good shape ? My point being that if there aren't any problems then there aren't any problems. Don't go out of your way to make any .And as far as the headstocks goes, it's really hard try holding your guitar like that and getting a good pic

ocean, abnormaltoy and Mankonis like this.
  3. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

.005 of an inch? That's like 1/8 of 1mm. Given the variable nature of Gibson's QC in recent years I'd say that's pretty damned good.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it plays fine.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks ok from here. I think the pics arent quite level. If its a real concern take it to get it looked at.

If it were mine and it played and sounded good, Id think about ither things.

Stratoman10 and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

What is the measured neck relief for the low E and high E strings? Also, what is the action height at the 12th fret for the same two strings?

Triple Jim and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. Gino753

The low E is .010 thousandth and the high E is around .005 action 5/64 bass side 3/64 treble

7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

I think you're alright...the thing is made out of wood, it moves. I just looked it up...notebook paper is .004 inch.

8. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

How is the intonation?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

In the other thread you started about the same guitar you say it plays excellent. If it plays excellent then don't wory about some numbers, they don't mean squat.

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

10. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

So, you made me grab my 2016 Standard that's right next to me and sight down the neck...my headstock does not appear to be on a perfect plane with the body either...thanks for that. ;)

Grabbed a Strat and it's off a bit as well in that regard.

What are you using to measure the relief? And echoing others, is there a playability issue? If not, I wouldn't give any of this a second thought.

11. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Why yes, yes we can help you...and you don't need a straight edge!

If it plays to your liking, it's perfect just the way it is. If it doesn't, make adjustment until it does...no straight edge needed! Your fingers and ears will tell you everything you need to know!!

And I hope that you and your LP have many wonderful years together...

12. johnnymg

That doesn't sound BAD at all. Might just be a slight fret level issue. Forgot to ask.............. what is the string gauge set on the guitar? By any chance are you using 9-46 hybrids?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. abnormaltoy

So, I wonder if there will be a run on old Travis Bean guitars after this thread. :)

nadzab likes this.
  14. johnnymg

I guess all these years of living under a bridge is paying off. I've never heard of TB or his guitars. :p

circles, JB74 and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. Gino753

The guitar originally came with the Hybrid set of 9-46 gibson stopped that in 2018 i believe,now im using normal 9s so 9-48

The guitar sounds and plays great, i know you guys are all going to call me crazy now, but before you do..just remember that this guitar cost me $2596 ...so i needed to ask these questions because, although i can live with the slightly twisted headstock, and possibly neck...if these are real issues as i would have thought, a slightly twisted headstock and possibly neck would be...and again $2596... is this an acceptable array of somewhat flaws? Thats all.i just dont want to get stuck with a guitar that might have serious issues, if (These are in fact serious issues) is why i needed to ask, before i possibly opend a new can of worms, by sending it back to Gibson before my warranty expired next month.I feel better now.You guys gave me more help thsn the G forum elsewhere..

johnnymg and Cerb like this.
  16. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

When you try to determine if the neck is twisted, look from the body up, so the cutaway doesn't create an optical illusion

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

nadzab likes this.
  17. johnnymg

Normal 9's should be 9-42 which would be a "balanced tension" set. Hybrids (9-46 or higher) will be slightly misbalanced in terms of tension. i.e. the low E side would have higher tension than the high e strings and potentially cause the relief to be higher on the bass side of the neck. That said, I used to run hybrids and never noticed a difference in relief but I also never measure relief............ just eyeball it.

Oh, it's a proven fact that the nicest and most helpful people on the net hang out here. Trolling for likes here................ :p

18. abnormaltoy

Maybe but, I'm just old.

Namelyguitar and johnnymg like this.
  19. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Aluminium necks.

20. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Yes. It's 11s that go up to 48 (see Roto Reds picture. I used to use these monsters!)

Normal gauges are:

9-42
    10-46
    11-48

Even a regular set won't be totally balanced though. I tried some of those D'Addario balanced tension strings not so long ago (see the D'Addario picture). I'm sure that scientifically they're more "correct" but they didn't feel quite right to me. They felt too whimpy on certain strings.

If you're into the "science", D'Addario's website has an article about string tension and why they produce their BT sets. It's interesting reading. Personally I'm happy with my regular 10s (sometimes Slinkies, sometimes Darco - see picture), but if you have a touch of CDO, then BT sets may appeal to you. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.