Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Canada's best kept secret

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by sass, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Josh Martinez does some cool indie hip hop stuff under a variety of monikers...

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    You have made my day. I Have the first 2 Hunt albums and thet are really really good. You are the only person that has ever mentioned them to me. Great band, horribly under rated!

sass likes this.

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

^^^^^Yes Greg Gagnon vocals sound some what like Geddy Lee.^^^^^^^^

4. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

in my world Propagandhi is probably the greatest music to come out of canada.

the stuff just oozes perfection. lyrics are so well written, and the music to go with it... is hard hitting, loaded with beauty, and just takes all that is canada and wraps is up in this perfect package.

thank you to the people that are propagandhi. you made learning music so much fun.

5. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Ahhhhh, got me there I had not heard of Propaghandi and had to google them. Mid 80s so a Modernish punk band putting them into the start of hardcore punk I think.
    I quit following it after the original wave. I was never a fan but 2 of my buddies were deep in the scene so I beacame educated....lol ( I was the only hippie at the Stranglers concert when they played Toronto )....lol
    I recently read a book on the history of Canadian punk so I am going to have to have a look and see if there in it.

Love threads like this as there are always new bands to explore and things to learn.:thumb:

sass likes this.

6. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-O-Master

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    And now, for something completely different:

LPBlue and abnormaltoy like this.

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nancy Nash.....Former back up singer 'Dr.Hook' and she was once offered the job as the new singer for 'The Headpins' but she declined....

Look at the 80's hair....she could sure sing.....I think she is from the Canadian Prairies.....

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Strat-Talk Member

Apr 9, 2017
    UK
    I know he's probably quite a household name, but I'll say Neil Young because his guitar playing doesn't always get the credit it deserves. Been listening to Ragged Glory a lot of late and it is easily one of my favourite rock albums.

Also, Mac Demarco is probably one of my favourite new musicians - very funny guy and some cool music, plus a great live performer who you can tell is into his music.

abnormaltoy likes this.

9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Sheriff/Alias/Frozen Ghost

10. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Noah - Peaceman's Farm

11. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

Aug 30, 2010
    scottsville ny usa
    they played in Rochester NY at the sadly defunct Penny Arcade several times back in the day so yeah i remember them and had the 2 albums as well. as i mentioned many Canadian acts played here back in the day. the first time i saw Triumph they did a show at our 2500 seat venue for 96 cents. never heard of them but hey less than a buck with Brownsville Station also on the bill couldn't say no. great show. glad i made your day and a cool band from back in the day got a little press.

12. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Well you are now the 3rd person to ever mention Brownsvile Station! Cub Coda was amazing. Love the album with Put the lights out ans Martian Boogie. Most people dont realize that "Smokin in the boys room" was there song and that Motley Crue only covered it.

13. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    Knew Ed casually as a young guy. Next door neighbor of a good friend. He lived (and still does) in my old hood.:cool:

West Coast Idea likes this.

14. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2016
    ontario canada
    the canadian hendrix..frank marino

15. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada

Incredible talent. Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush did Don Kirschners rock concert rwice IIRc and they were both awesome shows!

16. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    How about Sue Foley

17. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    And we shouldn’t ignore Daniel Lanois - producer for the likes of U2 and many other A listers and damn fine musician

18. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Dont forget Blues awesomness...

David GoGo
    Tony D band

19. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

Aug 30, 2010
    scottsville ny usa
    Martian Boogie was played on one of our radio stations back in the day so know it well. Smokin In The Boys Room was actually a hit back in 73 and i remember it well as i was in high school. i'm a huge fan of 70s hard rock / metal so i know a ton of bands that others might not.

20. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel Strat-Talk Member

This thread reminded me of a Canadian band from London, Ontario called Christmas who released a self titled album of original material sometime in the 70's. Guess it had some limited radio exposure because one of my friends bought their album. I have never come across any reference to this band in any Canadian music forum or thread. Don't think their name helps in internet searches.