Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Can't choose an amp...

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Marchel, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Marchel

Marchel Strat-Talk Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Hi everyone,

I own this beautiful Fender American Vintage '59 strat and now it's time for the right amp.
    (I also own the American Vintage '52 Tele so that one must also sound nice over the new amp)
    I just can't make up my mind which one to buy.
    I really hope people who also own this guitar(s) response and give me their opinions and thoughts.

Important to know is that I don't play in a band anymore.
    I just play at home at low volume, mostly clean, and I record some stuff.
    I own some transistor amps but now I really want a nice tube amp, even if I don't get everything out of it in my living room these two guitars need a nice amp.

It's gonna be a Fender or a Marshall, I don't like the Vox or any other sound.
    These following amps I tried and I will write down what I think of them.

1. Fender Blues Junior

+ Master volume
    + Perfect volume for home use
    + Reverb
    - No Tremolo so gonna need an extra Tremolo pedal
    - A little amp. I really like the look of a bigger amp in my living room.

2. Fender Blues Deluxe Re-Issue

+ Master volume
    + Reverb
    + Perfect dimensions for in the living room
    - No Tremolo so gonna need an extra Tremolo pedal
    - A Little loud but will do perfect clean at home

3. Fender Custom '68 Series Princeton or Deluxe Reverb

+ Best Reverb and Tremolo I ever heard and greatest clean sound.
    + Looks great in the living room
    - No Master volume so gonna need an extra pedal for overdrive
    - More expensive

4. Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee Combo

+ Handmade in England
    + Master volume and can be switched to very low watt
    - No Reverb and no Tremolo so gonna need two extra pedals

I just can't make up my mind.
    I really like the clean Fender sound but that's the same with the Marshall.
    People always say a Marshall is not really for clean sounds, I just don't get that.
    The Marshall has that clean agressive bluesy sound that I hear when I hear my heroes John Frusciante and Jimmy Hendrix play.
    I can get that sound by using the Master volume on this one.

The Fender '68 re-issues are so beautiful and sound so clean and warm, my only concern is how they are gonna sound with an overdrive pedal because I can't crank them up without a master.

The two Tweed amps are also nice, much warmer though.

I really hope to read some thoughts, and really like to hear from people who own an American Vintage '59 strat.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

maybe.... get ALL of them!:thumb:

Uncle Jimmy and Miller67 like this.
  3. Rudi

Rudi Senior Stratmaster

Apr 19, 2016
    Brisvegas
    I've been in the same boat for 2 years.
    I couldn't decide what way to go and ended up getting a Supro Comet.
    Imo it has the best reverb in the history of history.
    It has a phantastical clean sound, great almost fuzzy overdrive and takes pedals
    like a boss.
    I am in loooooove with my amp ! (wife shakes her head but she understands)

If it's strictly from your list i'd get the princeton.

4. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Princeton Reverb.

pyronym and Henfield Strat like this.
  5. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    Yep, the Princeton

pyronym likes this.
  6. scott223

scott223 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 16, 2013
    Princeton for sure. You might also consider a Vibro Champ. Great home amp.

pyronym and Nate D like this.
  7. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Your guitar (AV 59 Strat) will sound good through pretty much any amp.....so.....you should get the amp that produces the base clean tone you like the most.

Buy pedals for the rest! :)

Yves, nuculer terrist and hornpiper like this.
  8. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I find that the selection is easy.
    Paying for the ones I select is where I run into trouble.
    Get the Princeton.

pyronym likes this.
  9. Dedezelic

Dedezelic Strat-Talk Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Florida
    Marshall for sure.

10. stratmauler

stratmauler Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2012
    NZ
    Marshall Origin 20.

shupe13 and johnnymg like this.
  11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    ^^^^ I second that thought! ^^^^ You'll have to wait a month or so before they're released, but it's got some of the same features as the Mini Jube, but three different wattage settings, 20, 5, & 0.5. Foot switchable boost on a single channel, master volume, presence and a foot switchable (on/off) effects loop. The Origin is also available in a 50/10/1 watt version, as well as a 5/0.25 watt version. The 5 watt has some of the features deleted, but the 50 and 20 seem identical, except for the wattage and size and both can be had as a head or a combo. The 50 & 20 use EL34 power tubes and the 5 uses a single ended EL84. It looks like they will be stellar, all Marshall and well worth the wait!

My $.02,
    Gene

12. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I have a '59AVRI, I agree with the above poster who said it will sound good through most amps. As far as Tremelo, the Boss TR-2 is a really great tremelo pedal as far as I'm concerned, especially if you get the Analogman modded version. I used mine before mod, loved it, and really loved it after the mod, I've had it on my pedalboard for years. Analogman (Mike) said it sounded as good as the Tremelo on his vintage Twin, and I agree, I recently sold a Twin, and it was hard to tell a difference. I've used the Boss with Marshalls, non-tremelo Fenders, and other amps, no problem. One of the amps I use now is a "boutique", Tone King "Sky King" model with built in Tremelo. Great amp, but the tremelo sucks compared to that darn, freakin' old Boss pedal! Any of the amps above are good amps. I've owned all except the Marshall mini Jubilee, and I had the real deal old Fender Princeton and Deluxe Reverb. If it was me, and I liked one without Tremelo and need Tremelo, just get a pedal. There are also some other good Tremelo pedals out there, besides Boss.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    bhr17 likes this.
  13. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    I also like the idea going for the Marshall Origin but the Silver Jubilee has a really great sounding clean channel. In my opinion it is in fact the best Marshall clean you can get from any Marshall.
    It is a real clean channel taken from the JCM800 and changed a good bit. If you crank it you are in tonal heaven (but that means ear bleeding volume) - but best crunch you ever heard from any Marshall. The lead channel is a pure beast.
    Absolutely check out the Origin not made in good olde England but you get it for less than half of the price.

All the best,
    Robin

hornpiper likes this.
  14. mtsv

mtsv Strat-Talk Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Turkey
    I owned a Blues JR before and I have the Mini Jube Head (matched with a 2x12” Marshall cab) now. I can easily say that they are pretty different. I liked the Marshall sound more when I started playing classic rock, since it is a 2 channel amp and you can get the overdrive/distortion from the amp (by using the 2 EL34s if you like ;)). Fender’s are better for clean sound and you can use pedals to get the required dirt, but then it will be the pedal tone unless you really crank the amp or cleanly boost it.
    Cheers.

The-Kid likes this.
  15. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Id go for the Princeton 68. The bassman side cranked is ganna sound better than the Jubille.... And then you have the Silverface channela with Vibrato....get a Tubescreamer and a Fuzz....nothing else....maybe a Maxon Delay or Chorus...... i like Maxon. No SMD stuff....good qualty still made in Japan.

Jubiles are cool but kind of overated IMO.

The Blues Jr IMO are cool for a player that meshes with it.....but kind of lack alot in the tone department.

BDRI while great only had the Master Volume on the OD channel.... And the normal channel while great is loud as fu!##

Try out a Vox AC15....was in a similar situation for an amp in the 600-800$isn range after a 15% discount.....

The 68 Princeton was a definate contender as well as the BDRI and a used Super Sonic 60.....

I ended up getting the Vox after years of just wanting messing eveything else Classic 30....BDRI.....

Recently I wanted to get a new amp and going back and forth and playing a bunch of them the AC15 just had eveything.....surface mounted PCB....great reverb....great tremolo. Great sounding drive on its own by rolling back the master volume and crancking the pre amp....great speaker...Celestion Greenback.

Its just awesome.

But I feel had I gone for the 68 i would have been just as happy or more so. The reverb is nicer for sure and the clean tones are dank. Great drive too. There was even a used one that look hardly played for 650 at my GC and although it was awesome....the AC15 just jived with me better.

Id say the 68 or the Jubile would be great but I vote more for the 68.

The blues Jr ....just sucks IMO but I hear many players sound great through them and enjoy them.

The BDRI is awesome but may nit suit your needs.

The Princtone may not have a master volume but you can always get an aftermarket atouneuter....seeing how much the Jubile cost....its not much more to get the Princeton and an aftermarket atounater.

Yves likes this.
  16. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I forgot to ad to my post that you ought to at least checkout the Origin, given which model Marshall you listed. And oh yeah, the Origin 20 head is gonna be less than half the price of the Mini Jubilee!
    Just Sayin.
    Gene

AndSomeone and Robins like this.
  17. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

Feb 6, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    We really need pictures of living room (dimensions of room, too if possible) and pictures of amps photo shopped in to see how each of them look in the living room.
    How can we offer informed recommendations...:rolleyes:

Paper routes must be paying better these days!

Yves and The-Kid like this.
  18. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    The Fender Blues Jr gets my vote. And I'd find an used one. Cheaper and more character for your Live in room. An
    I bought mine beat-up for not much and gave it a good applied a couple of mod to it etc.... I'm still totally in love with it.

AndSomeone likes this.
  19. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    This all the way. I’d go for the Princeton for sure, but I can’t espouse house great a Champ is.

20. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Strat-O-Master

Dec 18, 2008
    south jersey
    68 Deluxe Reverb over the Princeton would be my choice. 22 watt, but sounds great at low volume. 12" speaker will be a bit fuller sounding than the 10" in the PR. Get a nice OD pedal and call it a day.

The-Kid likes this.