Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Captain Beefheart

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
  2. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Marietta Georgia
    That's an awesome documentary I had no idea it even existed. Trout was arguably the most original album of the '60s, and that's saying something. I still play it on occasion. 'Moonlight on Vermont', brilliant!

b.

3. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Nowhere, man ...
    Yeah, when Frank Zappa says you're kind of a strange guy, you're kind of a strange guy.

4. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I saw Captain Beefheart live late 60's I think. Trout Mask Replica era. I think I was fortunate in that I don't think they toured or played live all that much? I know that he and his Magic Band had that "wierd" reputation, but like Zappa and the Mothers, (saw them 3-4 times), they were a really tight band of excellent musicians. Loved the musicians names...Zoot Horn Rollo..Winged Eel Fingerling.....I know this is random, but the first time I heard Tom Waits my thought was, this guy HAD to have some Beefheart influence.

bbarott, texastengu and Guy Named Sue like this.
  5. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
  6. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Marietta Georgia
    ^^ Really jealous of this. Damn, what a show that most have been. Good friend of mine introduced me to him about 1971, he was hard into Beefheart and Merle Haggard, go figure.

b.

7. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay
    I saw CB a few times in SF. Quite a show.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  8. nungesser

nungesser running with the moonshine dogs Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    damn, I saw your name RB next to the Beefheart post and thought for sure I was gonna get a page long description of the freak show.. maybe not for prime time viewing:eek:

9. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay

Plus, I cain't remember squat.:confused::D

10. Monkeyboy

May 23, 2015
    Nowhere, man ...
    Just make some stuff up :thumb:

11. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I seen Captain Beefheart with Zappa. It was a great show. It was very much like Bongo Fury which they recorded a few nights before in Texas. I know they played Apostrophe and Muffin Man both with jaw dropping guitar by Frank. Lots of Overnight Sensation tunes too. So glad I saw that...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    jimyjazz likes this.
  12. Strums

Strums Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2014
    CO
    Priceless. Thanks for posting.

Electgumbo and Guy Named Sue like this.
  13. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Love TMR and Bongo Fury, saw him on Letterman in the 80s he had a bottle of something in a paper bag he was sipping while talking to Dave. What a character!

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  14. Monkeyboy

May 23, 2015
    Nowhere, man ...
    "Give me your Beefy love..." ?:thumb:

Electgumbo likes this.
  15. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

After seeing the Frank Zappa thread i had to reopen this one.

In this you tube video the camera person is fixated on the drummer.
    Maybe because he has under wear on his head:thumb:

16. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
  17. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    I saw Beefheart, on what was likely the same tour, when he was playing with Frank. Beefheart came and went, on and off, from the stage and played only dissonant noodling on an alto sax. I'm a long-time Beefheart listener, but I couldn't really say that he was trying to mesh with the music on stage.

This show (on Mothers' Day, ironically) was terrible compared to the one you saw, however.

The band was separated from their semi-truck-load of equipment due to bad logistics and they had to rent the sound system, instruments, and all backline in Indianapolis. The sound was muffled and terrible in a convention center that was usually a nightmare for sound techs. Frank's rented Telecaster (no SGs that night) was microphonic at stage volume and squealed like a piglet in a vise. My view of the stage was at a major angle and all I could make out was white or white blonde Tele with a maple board. Met him at the band's Mother's Day party afterward and it was obvious he was POd about the situation. Beefheart was not at the party, but a jovial George Duke was and an irritated Don Preston kept coming and going.

Electgumbo likes this.