Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

CBS era Strats... Yuck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by problem-child, Oct 4, 2018.

1. MissAlexF

MissAlexF New Member!

Oct 6, 2018
    Rugby, England
    i've played a couple of late 70s strats...nothing to write home about tbh, i've played nicer feeling and sounding instruments but you know there may be a lot of duds in that era but there may be some really exceptional ones

2. Greg

Greg Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    Atlanta area
    Good and bad ones in every year of production, ( I get yout TnC reference though). I always told people in refretting a maple board just have the frets taken out slowly and go with a wider fret to cover any chipping so you don't have to have the fingerboard refinished as well..

3. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland

4. bandmaster

bandmaster Strat-Talker

That's probably Walter's guitar. Ronnie sounds great in that video.

Ronnie played a maple neck Strat exclusively in the 80's. In early 90's he got that red Strat with RW

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree that it's probably his host's guitar. And you're right about the Strats he mainly played, which is why I corrected the comment I made earlier. My brain froze just before I typed that.....:oops:

6. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    A good guitar is a good guitar.
    The year you was born doesn´t make you a good or bad example of a human being.
    The same ingredients.

Life is good,
    Robin

7. Candy-apple

Candy-apple Strat-Talk Member

May 21, 2018
    England
    I was unlucky enough to have a play around with this descustingly good condition hardtail 69 recently, there have been worse days!

Attached Files:

jojo68 and problem-child like this.

8. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    problem-child likes this.

9. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Just noticed Paul Kantner playing a 70's era Strat...

c9e90f511456fe7de9af1f65d679e86c.jpeg

10. Elmo

Elmo Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2018
    Dalton GA
    Didn't they hire some guy who shut the company down for 2 years to retrain everyone and turn the company around.I remember when no one really wanted a Fender, back in the 70's, everyone I played with back then were Gibson guy's, I always played a Firebird back then,but most people that I played with used Les Paul.But having said that they were people who still were Fender die hards, that were good pickers.That is why I'm so shocked to see how many people like the squires these days, They were not well liked back then.I guess they are making them a lot better now

11. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    They hired Paul Rivera in 1979 or 80 to help with amps. The only good one was the Super Champ, the others weren't any better than what he was trying to replace. Then Bill Shultz and some of the other management bought the rights to the company but didn't get the building, machinery or anything really. So, they imported guitars from Japan until the new factory was ready. It may have been about two years after they bought it before it was ready. Then things turned around. The Classic Vibes are really nice for the money.

12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well that's almost but not quite true. Fullerton closed early in 1985 & Corona opened later that year. So although some guitars were made in the USA in 1985, there were very few of them, all AVRIs. But the myth that Fender USA closed for a few years is not true.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:10 AM
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

13. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It was the 1970s. If he were playing and 80s Strat, that would be newsworthy.

Will Lefeurve, Cerb and stratman323 like this.

15. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yes but he obviously choose a CBS strat over a pre CBS strat :sneaky:

16. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It was a different time. The people who had bought their guitars before the CBS debacle were still playing them, the pre-cbs worship didn't start until later.

Will Lefeurve, stratman323 and Cerb like this.

17. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    Yeah, that part was 1985. I couldn't remember how long it was before it opened. Later in that year does sound right. They did import some from Japan though until then, at least that is what I read.

18. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Japanese Fenders started being manufactured by Fujigen in 1982, to head off sales by Tokai, Fernandes, Greco and other Japanese brands.

stratman323 likes this.

19. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yes, a few months before the AVRIs hit the shops. And Fender Japan made an awful lot of guitars back then.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

20. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    They sure did. I added a bit to my previous post.