Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Challenge #186 - Ellington Jazz/Blues

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dogletnoir, Nov 3, 2016.

1. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    This is a great tune usually associated with the Ellington Orchestra,
    but once again, please don't let the 'J' word scare you off...
    there's some fairly straightforward blues at the heart of it.
    The video charts the changes in real time, and it's a fun backing track to play with.

Downloadable version here:

Key of Db, so anyone tuned a half step down can play in D.
    Even if you don't play the head, it's worth learning.

i hope you will all enjoy this one!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. dogletnoir

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    Here's my take:
    Things Ain't What They Used to Be

Veronica again... but doing the jazzy thing this time. :)

3. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i'm tied up with a work/dinner tonight, but first thing in the morning... i've been listening to some beautiful music today thanks to this challenge...

dogletnoir likes this.
  4. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Lol, I need to play more jazz ^_^

This is as good as I got for now, I need a break. Thanks for the challenge, doglet!

5. dogletnoir

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    @alainvey, yeah, you do! But don't worry, we will! :)
    That sounds really great; i love the way you approached the tune with such a relaxed swing feel.
    Cool double stops scattered throughout, and so many hip lines over the changes.
    i think the lounge band might have to adopt this as our theme song, the one we play before we go
    on our break and mingle at the bar. <giggle>
    Speaking of which, yes, you've certainly earned some break time (before you get back to work on JAGFE, of course).
    YVW, thanks for joining in and getting things rolling!

6. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks so much!

Doing this really teaches me just how ill I play the changes ^_^

7. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Ok, I promise I will work on that other tack in a sec.

This is my break... Note: it's really horrible, don't actually listen to this one!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  8. dogletnoir

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    You crazy, man... CRAZY! :)

Thrup'ny Bit and alainvey like this.
  9. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Thank you for posting this. :) I'll try it out later.

dogletnoir and alainvey like this.
  10. tukoztukoz

tukoztukoz Strat-Talker

Jan 18, 2016
    europe
    Learning this song's chords and playing something on it make me enjoy much more Duke's music!

11. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    As you may have noted (your ears feel relieved) I have been absent lately, I told myself I wouldn't reenter until I actually got better at playing but I just had to take the new pickups for a spin. Looking at the chord changes in the video made me dizzy so this is me noodling along in Gb hoping for the best, rarely straying from straight up quarter notes and failing when I get brave :)

More than a few clams but they come free of charge.

I like the pickups though and as usual, despite the rant above, had fun.

12. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    @dogletnoir Great jazzy tone and real nice phrasing. It sounded effortless.

@alainvey There's a really nice theme going on and it sure sounds jazzy. I like the double stops, they fit right in there. Great tone too.

@alainvey #2 There are some really cool phrases in here and great playing. I think I prefer the overall feel of #1 though, that one was truly great.

@tukoztukoz That's really cool playing. Bits of it reminded me of something else but I can't put my finger on it. Very nicely phrased and I love those little fast runs.

Now I sort of wished I had listened to your takes before I did mine, you all inspired me to get better.

tukoztukoz and dogletnoir like this.
  13. montemerrick

i'm just not fast enough for this track yet... i'll have to work at it and quit listening to the slower versions i know better... (although the cecil taylor/archie shepp/clark terry et al record from 1961 i'm listening to right now is positively dreamy - but i'm #strivingformorespeed )

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  14. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    This take is so far from perfect, it's hard to know where to start. However, it is an honest single take after a brief run through. I know I'm missing the changes a lot of the time, still less making the best out of them. Look forward to listening to your takes. :thumb:

pauljo1963, TheDuck, Xcaster and 4 others like this.
  15. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Dogletnoir – You have an assured take on ‘the standards’, and this is no exception. I listen, and hopefully learn. Even if I don’t learn everything I should, this is a hugely enjoyable and spirited take. Thank you again for posting this Challenge.

Alainvey – As I listen to this, I realise that my failure to state the basic theme at the head was almost as big a discourtesy and forgetting someone’s name. You really swing that groove, making it sound effortless. V2 has superb playing, but might not be the most sympathetic treatment of the piece.

Tukoztukoz – This about as ‘straight’ as I’ve heard you play. You seem to be able to play just about anything but you always put your own unique stamp on things. Although your command of the changes is excellent, I have a strange feeling this won’t get you that cruise ship gig…

Cerb – Glad you joined in this week. So what are these new pickups? They sound very nice. Although I could tell you were winging this somewhat when it came to the changes, your ear didn’t let you down. You probably would get the cruise ship gig! Good to hear you tackling material you’re not immediately comfortable with.

dogletnoir and tukoztukoz like this.
  16. montemerrick

edit: this space under construction

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. montemerrick

@dogletnoir - yeah thats what i meant to play. i like that you took the speed of this and accepted it and played it and no one called you a whiner, like was happening over here as i kicked myself from one side of the room to the other...

@alainvey - very convincing. very swell... i totally dig it... at this point i'm pulling mine. your second one - hmm... it has its moments... you iconoclastic ratbas&*&d you! :whistling:

@tukoztukoz - oh this reminds of something... driving me crazy... what is it! in any case this is ewll played and totally like you... out there but not that out there... nice.

@Cerb - nice tone, great vibe, tight. you've a feel for it that shines.

@simoncroft - wow! you made up a tune! and a dang nice one!

i'm now and again forced to wonder why i post stuff publicly when clearly i'm not even close to ready... you all are fine players. humbling (note i didn't say humiliating...)

18. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    @dogletnoir Way to set the bar! What a jazz tone you get from Veronica! Love the way you gradually weave the head into your own lines, and again at the end. I agree that it sounds completely effortless (unlike my take :D), and just beautiful and tasteful throughout. I wish I felt comfortable enough with the changes to not play every single chord :( The line you play around 2:40-45 is very very hip indeed. My guess would be that you've played jazz before :)

@tukoztukoz I always enjoy your pictures. Highly methodical madness once again, you're awesome! Wonderfully disrespectful tone :D Awesome ideas, a new direction with each chorus, and a great deal of very intelligent harmony - so damn good! Sounds so different from the original, and yet you still manage to reference it somehow. I haven't heard any of your stuff for a week or two, and I realize now that I missed you :D

@Cerb Very pretty tone here :) Very restrained playing at first, which complements the track in an appropriate and good-sounding way. Definitely locked into the swing of this track, great feel as monte says. I really really like the melody you play on the verse that starts 2:10, it's awesome! Great take!

@simoncroft Great title as usual! I don't think I've ever actually bothered to play any of the original melodies on any of the other submissions I've done here, so I wouldn't worry too much! I only did so here because I was telling doglet I need to get some practice actually reading music (which I cannot do) and playing jazz for a change.

This was a great take. Really nice tone and feel, I don't think I've ever got the impression that you have an outside to your comfort zone (no doubt you will probably feel differently, but it doesn't appear that way to me). I love the repeating idea in the 1:20-1:40 zone, great stuff. Interesting rhythms and phrasing, which is what jazz is all about. This swings so much! I would be very delighted if I heard this at a bar or club, and I would probably start to feel that I need to practice harder and should do more playing out etc. :D Great!

P.S. I assure you my "swinging" of the "groove" was anything but effortless!

dogletnoir and simoncroft like this.
  19. tukoztukoz

tukoztukoz Strat-Talker

Jan 18, 2016
    europe
    I've noticed there's no piano on the YouTube soundtrack I used. I added a rythm guitar on my track, maybe a little bit too low in the mix. The first time I heard the YouTube track I thought it was hard to feel the chord changes. By playing and recording the chords, things got clearer. I love to play blues and jazz chords progressions.

@Cerb @montemerrick : one part of my take was delibarately inspired by Django's Belleville, and another one reminds me now of the beginning of Dancing in the Streets, but that was unconscious...

@simoncroft : maybe a sea sick audience would like that for a cruise ship gig? Your version was cool, I like the sound you got. Did you play a Gretsch, as suggested by the pic?

@alainvey : thanks for your kind words. I did the last challenges, maybe a little bit too late... Lots of ideas in your takes - worth to be studied closer!

@dogletnoir : I like the way you play the theme into your track. I'll study that, too!

dogletnoir, simoncroft and alainvey like this.
  20. Noahclem

Noahclem Senior Stratmaster

Oct 26, 2015
    Gables
    @dogletnoir Thank you for the tune and for setting an example of a beautifully played jazz standard.

@alainvey The first take really evoked big-band swing, especially with the double-stops in the beginning playing the horn section. Nothing wrong with the second take - just a rocker's go. Actually some parts of it were quite amazing (quite in American sense)

dogletnoir and alainvey like this.