Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Challenge #235 - No Sympathy

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dogletnoir, Oct 6, 2017.

1. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

@TheDuck - ferocious fusion! i totally dug all that squealing! very much like a nimble car on a twisty course!

@knh555 - well that was the way you play jazz in the end, listen hard and contribute what sounds right to you! get a group of people who agree with you about what sounds good to some extent and then rag it!

@simoncroft - you started off suddenly in a strange land and by the end of it you were ordering breakfast and making some sense of the morning news! before you know it you'll be playing in some free-form collective with everyone playing scrapyard gear with old cheap pickups screwed to tin cans and fire extinguishers but you'll be playing your gibson es (339?) plugged into a vox ac30. and it will be very good. i enjoyed your tone, your adventurous sortie, and swinging style very much.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Omar, TheDuck and dogletnoir like this.

2. montemerrick

proving it's not how much you have but how you swing. that was pretty sweet.

dogletnoir likes this.

3. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    Thanks, Dog. I'll have a go today and then listen to the other subs once I've done so :)

dogletnoir likes this.

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @TheDuck – 'DogTana' does exactly what the name claims and then some. Wonderfully exciting playing in a Carlos style and very good mix that really brings out the most exciting elements of the original arrangement. Well done!

@knh555 – This is very tuneful and extremely well executed. That's a big ol' guitar tone too. It sounds like someone playing to an empty concert hall in the soundcheck before the doors open! The chords you add towards the end are very effective, I thought.

Omar, dogletnoir and TheDuck like this.

5. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks! Yea, I thought the name was fitting, LOL.
    Until yesterday, I’d never played so much as a lick by Santana. I have to admit, it was fun to explore his style.
    The mix? Well, Im getting better with the new ProTools, slowly but surely. Again, thanks. :)

Your track was really cool. Has the jam vibe going on, only tighter and more focused. Definitely one of your best :thumb: Well played Sir!

I used a combination of A major and A minor, switching between them with the changes in the track.
    If you want to keep it simple, use the A pentatonic (as mentioned) and always land on A or D and you’ll be safe. :thumb:

Shout out to @dogletnoir for this track. You pushed me far out of my comfort zone, and I liked it. :D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

6. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    @montemerrick, i like how you managed to stay relaxed and behind the beat, floating on top of the track rather than getting pushed by it, and the tele sounds good (even if a little dry for my personal taste; you know i am a total delay addict, LOL)!
    @TheDuck, Glad to hear that you enjoyed the track. It sure sounded like you did, bringing the fire like 'Lotus'-era Santana on 'Incident At Neshabur'! Loved it!!!
    @knh555, you start off with a strong melodic statement and develop from there with a nice use of space and dynamics. @fezz parka would approve, as do i.
    @simoncroft, as soon as i heard that Gregg Rolie-esque Hammond organ part kick in, i was like, "yeah, he gets it!"
    And (unlike me) you didn't feel obligated to fill up every possible second of the track with guitar, although your guitar work was great. TY for the well wishes... i have the day off from work, so i think they had the intended effect!

i'm looking forward to some more people joining in; the track is not really that complicated to play over, really.

Not even close to my 'Ruby My Dear' debacle, LOL.

7. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

Jan 14, 2015
    Annapolis
    Second attempt to actually post the correct file. It's definitely avant garde! (....or a bit sloppy, but I'll say avant garde as though it was purposeful)

8. montemerrick

@ultrahedgehog - well, that was sounding very nice to me, expressive, swings with the track like pluto swings with the sun. i enjoy your playing a lot... wish i had some of that in mine.

Omar and ultrahedgehog like this.

9. montemerrick

thanks! well, i get really self-conscious when i use effects... like when i wear a bolo tie or jewelry... like people are going to be all 'oh look at mr flashypants..." or "hey why not learn to drive the thing before you go adding a flame job"

10. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @ultrahedgehog – There's more than a touch of Santana to your take, although you journeys 'outside' are bolder (yes, possibly avant garde*) than Carlos' more straightforwardly commercial direction. You know your stuff though, so you never walk off into the wilderness, or play a load of waffle for the sake of seeming 'deep'. Now you're back, I hope you'll be popping in more often.

* As a co-founder of Avant Garde (Croydon) Ltd I was amazed by how many delivery persons struggled with the name. ("Is this... Avanty Grady Limited...?)

montemerrick, Omar and ultrahedgehog like this.

11. bolognahead

bolognahead Strat-Talk Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito

12. montemerrick

@bolognahead - that was a pretty impressive display! your first notes were very appealing, like the lovely scent that pulls the insect into the sticky parts... terrific playing!

bolognahead likes this.

13. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @bolognahead – This is wonderful! Lake Papakito must be lovely, because I can imagine looking over the water as the sun goes down, while I listen to this. Your chord word work is really great, and your solo lines are inspirational.

Sorry for using so many words. If you don't understand me, please go here: https://translate.google.co.uk/

bolognahead and montemerrick like this.

14. montemerrick

well @dogletnoir, i took your delay suggestion to heart... this is on my acoustic, Mr FlashyPants™

15. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @dogletnoir – I hope your great take encourages everyone to dip their toes in the water. As you've shown, there's no need to be intimidated by this one. KISS (Keep It Simple Sucker) :thumb:

dogletnoir likes this.

16. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Most of this is very good indeed. For the majority of the time, your delays create harmony. Some of the time, they create a dissonance that is effective. There is a remaining 5% where I feel your well-judged note choices are made somewhat jarring by the imposition of the preceding notes.

This is the problem I have with very high levels of delay. Frère Jacques or Terminator III? The delay gets to decide!

montemerrick likes this.

17. montemerrick

thank you for the feedback Simon! i was on my way here to change the track to an updated less delayed take that seemed more to my taste and met your post... curses too late! and then i decided to change tracks anyway... i agreed with your assessment except my percentage for jarring was probably rated significantly higher than your generous 5%! and @dogletnoir your "like" is now ill-gotten, i'm sorry to say...

dogletnoir likes this.

18. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland

19. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Not ill-gotten, because this version is actually better than the other one, so the 'like' still stands,
    and i'd 'like' it again if i could!

montemerrick likes this.

20. montemerrick

@mjark - i like what you built that into...a slow start that became a kind of villanelle - very poetic.