Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Challenge # 240 - West Coast Dues

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dogletnoir, Nov 10, 2017.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! You're too kind. Either way, it hurt me!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

2. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    So you said it by saying you wouldn't say it, and then still said it anyway...
    bravo... well played, sir, well played. :p

All things are not for all people, and i for one have no problem with that.
    There have certainly been Challenges in the past that didn't speak to me at all either.
    No need to be sorry about it, imo.
    It's supposed to be fun in the end, right?

And with that in mind, i just gave it another go:
    West Coast Blues Jam (take 3)

Still not quite where i'd like to be with it, but definitely making progress!
    Level is still quite low for some reason, ugh.
    Put on the headphones and turn it up.
    Take 4 is after i put this lovely set of flatwound 12s on the Epi Joe Pass model.
    Yes, i really do enjoy playing over these changes. :)

mjark, TheDuck, montemerrick and 2 others like this.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm terribly out of practice. First time I've really played other than noodling in about a year. Yeech!

4. Raimonds

Raimonds Strat-O-Master

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    what a surprise! I dont want to listen your track, it will probably make me burn my guitars :D

s5tuart, montemerrick and duzie like this.

5. fezz parka

You guys (and gal) are killin' it. I'm a mess. LOL

montemerrick likes this.

6. Raimonds

Raimonds Strat-O-Master

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    yep, you should practise more, work on timing and phrasing :D

fezz parka likes this.

7. fezz parka

It's a perishable skill. LOL

I probably should have played it a few times before recording. Less CPM (Clams per minute).

montemerrick likes this.

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @pauljo1963 – Hey, you’ve done this before! Your playing is a really authentic take on how Wes approaches it, at least to my ear. There’s some incredibly imaginative octave work near the end. Is that your Maton BTW?

@montemerrick 2 – I liked your first take but I’m sensing you’re more comfortable with the changes and can concentrate more on chasing lines that you can hear in your head.

@Thrup'ny Bit – So sorry to hear you’re in such a bad way. I hope medical science can work some magic on the symptoms.

@dogletnoir – (take 3) You’re really swinging that rhythm, and in such an assured way. (take 4) Interestingly, your tone on this one doeas sound massively different to the previous take, although I think the playing might be even better. Low levels aren’t a big problem.

@fezz parka – Hey, hey! Good to have you around. This is a very original approach. You’re right on the changes, but there’s a superbly legato feel to a lot of your phrases. In conjunction with your very fluid bends, it imparts an almost Eastern flavor. Very cool.

9. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

Jan 14, 2015
    Annapolis
    Here’s something mildly jazzish.

mjark, TheDuck, montemerrick and 2 others like this.

10. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I was sort of backed into a corner so had to come clean! :D
    I'm sorry because I do like to join in where I can but I think I'm pretty much stuck in my own rut these days. You're right tho., fun is the main thing and you can't please all the people.... :D

simoncroft and dogletnoir like this.

11. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Life has been happening lately, sorry for my absence.

I hope everyone is well :)

Here is a very quick take which is probably hampered by alcohol and lack of practice somewhat (not to mention not being Wes or looking at the changes ^_^).

mjark, TheDuck and dogletnoir like this.

12. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @ultrahedgehog – Now, you can really go 'out' and come back 'in' without any disconcerting seams. It's obvious to me you spent a lot of time learning jazz guitar, which is the foundation to the way you worked these changes into an enjoyable and cohesive solo. Very nicely done.

montemerrick and ultrahedgehog like this.

13. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @alainvey – Great to have you join in. If you really just winged that, you are a loss to the discerning music-listening public at large. Believe me, I have heard less coherent solos that this on paid-for vinyl, played by respected players on very large Gibsons.

s5tuart likes this.

14. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

@knh555 - totally reminded me of this band i used to go see all the time about 25 years ago, called the Colorifics... they were based in Vancouver BC. jump blues with a rockabilly edge and they played more than a couple 3/4 tunes...

@mjark - nice delivery of the tune! being able to play the tune is something i'm looking forward to being able to do someday!

@Raimonds - what @simoncroft said. my sentiments exactly. you sounded like the changes go to the song you were playing.

@pauljo1963 - your playing has a very wonderful joy and fluidity. liberating vibe. very beautiful... chord solo is a lovely Wes touch

@Thrup'ny Bit - i'm really sorry to hear that... i'd love to hear your take on this track... hope you get another shot at it soon.

@dogletnoir - i did indeed put on the headphones and turn it up - very far up... i'd be dancing but the cat would kill me if i dumped him off my lap and he thinks its funny but doesn't get the i don't have nine lives thing... seriously nice handling of the tune and your just flying through the changes like they're calendar days that we all have to live through so may as well hit the chord tones and anything else that 's cool looking laying around... sweet! and i feel the same way about take 4... but moreso.

@fezz parka - well, i saw that you'd posted a take earlier but i was working on some fundraising writing and i needed to focus so i waited until i was able to really dig in... you've got a great tune for an updated Marlowe... (elliot gould's is my favorite, for real) - the west coast dude hunting clues in a nearly deserted late night downtown LA - and this music is emanating from a Yakuza owned jazz dive. atmospheric and recognizable even in the morphs to a new century...

@ultrahedgehog - beautiful statement! some Mary Halvorson, some early Bill Frisell, a little Zappa, and lot of cohesion! i liked the hesitant and frantic cocktail... a much less relaxed vibe than fifty years ago but there're reasons...

@alainvey - long time no see! you really warmed into that in an organic way. like sizzling potatoes in skillet - by a minute in everything was golden, and by the end crispy oil fried edges, soft centered, peppered, salted and on the plate.

ultrahedgehog and fezz parka like this.

15. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    These guys?

https://thecolorifics.bandcamp.com

montemerrick likes this.

16. fezz parka

The Long Goodbye. Great film. :D

montemerrick likes this.

17. montemerrick

some of it shot in your backyard!

fezz parka likes this.

18. montemerrick

yes! their album Living City was released when i was following them... sort of friendly with the band after seeing a few of their shows as one of 15 in the audience... i was surprised they're still together!

19. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Great ears Mr Croft
    Flat wound strings on a 1960 P90 neck pickup jazz Box

Attached Files:

simoncroft likes this.

20. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    I'd tried it and let say the the results were somewhat laughable .You have my respect to all for your fine tracks :thumb: